RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Axial SCX-10 (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-scx-10/)
-   -   Choosing a Motor and ESC for my SCX10? (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-scx-10/420632-choosing-motor-esc-my-scx10.html)

5VoltDetonator 01-02-2013 07:18 PM

Choosing a Motor and ESC for my SCX10?

Hi I SAW THIS "STICKY" In the Wrath section and I was wondering if some of you could tell me the same info , but for my scx10. I know the info is out there and I have searched but I would just kind it simply laid out for me, if you have the time. Thanks Robert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harley (Post 3363931)
I'll refine this as time goes.

Choosing a Motor and ESC

The most common question asked in the Wraith section seems to be “What motor should I run”. I can see why people don’t know what motor to chose, it is a multi-level problem to solve. While those questions will never stop hopefully we can cut some of them down by adding this reference.

To make a long story short, for more detailed info read the following posts:

Good speed and OK crawling: Tekin 13.5 Redline (or Tekin Pro 4 3300) and Castle Mamba Max Pro – Faster than stock 20t motor and fairly smooth low end. Not a good choice for water or mud.

Good crawling and OK speed: Holmes Crawlmaster 13t and Holmes BRXL – OK for water and mud as long as you get the waterproof ESC and keep your motor maintained.

Best for crawling and low speed: Holmes 35t TorqueMaster Pro and Holmes BRXL – Smooth crawling with enough wheel speed to get up hills.

atrain20210 01-02-2013 08:12 PM

Re: Choosing a Motor and ESC for my SCX10?

Its really based on your driving style. For example when I know I'll be running on flat ground in mud or snow I like the traxxas 12t with a two or three s lipo. For more of a slow crawling type I go with an axial 55t with two s lipo. If I'm doing a tractor pull I do a 55t with three or four s lipo. And for trail rides I like the axial 27 turn. All of these motors are relatively inexpensive and easily replaceable. But the can last a long time if properly cleaned and oiled on a regular basis.

I've tried the stock ae-2? Esc, the traxxas xl-5, and a torque master br-xl esc from Holmes hobbies. The most versatile esc is the br-xl. It can run up to a six s lipo, and has no turn limit on 540 can motors. Plus you can get it waterproof with a sixty day warrenty.

I have yet to try a thirty five turn or fourth five turn motor but I hear that they are a good compromise between torque and wheel speed.

As you may or may not know with brushed motor, I have no clue about brush less, the higher the number of turns the more torque you get but its slower whereas a low turn motor has higher speed but less torque.

Again, its all about your driving style and your situational driving conditions

Hope I have helped somewhat with my limited knowledge on different brand motors and esc's I just know I like what I run.

5VoltDetonator 01-02-2013 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atrain20210 (Post 4103682)
Its really based on your driving style..

Thanks great information- I hope others will also reply, with some of the same type of info with thre own perspective on it.

I'm really new- so I'm still figuring out my driving style. I know I don't want to go too fast ( I got a SCTE w/ Pro 4 for that ) - want to keep using 2S.

I just wanted to know what my options were. I saw the other Sicky where everyone said what was powering there scx10 but it did not say how they were driving it. And I know there are a lot of different driving styles like you said.

I'm meeting some other local crawlers soon so I'll probly know more when I see what others have and what I need to keep up with.

Hollaitzwillie 01-02-2013 09:55 PM

Whats up 5volt!! My buddy just picked up this motor TowerHobbies.com | Tekin 35T Pro Hand Wound Rock Crawler Motor
And we took it out by san yisdro and it wasent bad at all! I thought it was great from crawling and isnt too slow! I have the same motor but a little different but his is a little faster then mine.
The esc that i run is a castle sidewinder. It works great for me but its not waterproof but thats a easy fix!

5VoltDetonator 01-02-2013 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hollaitzwillie (Post 4103875)
Whats up 5volt!! My buddy just picked up this motor TowerHobbies.com | Tekin 35T Pro Hand Wound Rock Crawler Motor
And we took it out by san yisdro and it wasent bad at all! I thought it was great from crawling and isnt too slow! I have the same motor but a little different but his is a little faster then mine.
The esc that i run is a castle sidewinder. It works great for me but its not waterproof but thats a easy fix!

Cool I'm going to have to get down there and check out your spot soon, and see what a better motor runs like- thanks.