Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: ok suspension question and suggestions wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2013, 10:38 AM   #1

Default ok suspension question and suggestions wanted

ok so i did a droop kit on my scx10 however i also did 120mm shocks. seems to be still a tad too high but does have some amazing flex. So im looking to go a bit lower. I see so many differant shocks. I do slow crawling/climbing so i assume i want a soft shock for articulation purposes. What shock is already set up for that? i think between 100-110 mm would work great. Thanks alot in advance
Norcalmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2013, 11:37 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: ok suspension question and suggestions wanted

Everyone's needs and setups are different so it's impossible for manufactures to sell a shock that suites everyone. I would suggest getting into shock tuning if you are looking for a very speciffic setup. Start with a shock that has parts readily available for it and build an inventory of springs, spacers/limiters, oil, pistons, etc. Some of the shocks out there are $40+ a pair and for that money you deserve to have them setup the way you prefer if they aren't handling the way you want them to out of the box.

The Losi 4" shocks have been working very well for me for slow crawling, though I imagine most shocks are capable of being tuned for that use. I went with the Losi's mainly because I already had them from an older stadium truck I have, along with a variety of pistons and springs. I ended up with white 2.75" springs (1.8lbs rate) orange/pink pistons, and 35wt oil. The result has been a very soft, but extremely controlled suspension. My setup could use slightly more rebound, but that's easy enough to tune by simply taking the cap off and re-seating it with the shock shaft extended more. The one issue that I've had with shock tuning on my rig is that it's hard to get them to sit low enough without making the suspension way too soft. Even the stock Axial shocks can work great for low speed crawling. Right out of the bag with green springs I found them to be too stiff and not enough damping. A swap to their softest spring (red) and 60wt oil fixed that right up (~5lbs rig).

I'm at the point where I could mess with shocks non stop because I'm always seeing something that could be just a little bit better. Throw in some brackets for angling and height adjustments and I better clear my schedule because I can mess with that crap all day, lol.
05Fronty4x is offline   Reply With Quote

ok suspension question and suggestions wanted - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
rock racer- suggestions wanted! Tenhats Axial AX-10 Scorpion 3 10-04-2012 04:23 PM
rear suspension really stiff any suggestions booher26 Axial XR10 6 09-28-2010 08:11 AM
newb here suggestions and feedback wanted toxico Newbie General 6 09-03-2010 03:06 PM
Need some suggestions on suspension GTCharles Axial AX-10 Scorpion 10 01-10-2010 10:19 AM
Independent suspension suggestions... WRMorrison Traxxas Crawlers 7 01-02-2005 10:57 PM