Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: RcBros Leaf Spring Honcho Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2010, 12:04 PM   #1
RcBros Hobbies

Default RcBros Leaf Spring Honcho Build

I've had alot of e-mails and pm's from the members here asking if the our RcBros Leaf Spring Kit works with the honcho.

So I've purchased a honcho to see what is needed and also start a new build which will ultimately be my girlfriends (RcGirl) scaler.

I started out by building the axles while she cut and masked the body for painting.

We picked a cobalt blue color in the can by Pactra which is a two part paint. and it did not come out anything like the can. It is now more of a silver/whitish with pearl as you move it side to side. It doesn't look to bad, but nothing like it was suppose to. The spray tip was clogged from the get go, and I had to use two from my other cans. Very disapointed!

I've got the transmission, axles, body and frame put together,just need to talk her into assembling the wheels. See assembled the body using the manual (slowly getting her to wrench not just drive haha)

But anyways, here is how everything sits at the moment, I will build it up per the manual then attach the leaf spring kit.

RcBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2010, 12:23 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

cant wait to see how it works out!
big bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 04:02 PM   #3
RcBros Hobbies

Well I've got it into a stock rolling chassis, Man those beadlocks are a booger!

I know a few wanted to see flex comparisons between stock and leaf. So here is the front and rear with simulated weight allowing for the most articulation possible in stock form.

And a length comparison between the RcBros Toyota SCX10 (work in progress) an the new honcho

Old 01-24-2010, 04:04 PM   #4
RCC Addict

I like the color!
country_crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 05:06 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

^Me too - I was trying to do pearl white on the bottom 1/2 of mine, damn pactra paint did me in as well! Shot the whole
can and barely got anything pearl about it, backed w/silver like usual & that's what I got. . just silver.
Right On w/the build RcBro! now I can reference yours (hers) when I get my leafsprings-
APESHAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 09:18 PM   #6
RcBros Hobbies

OK, below is a pretty easy to follow howto on adapting the RcBros Leaf Spring kit to a Axial SCX10 Honcho truck.

Please keep in mind, that the springs we used are a prototype spring that are alittle stiffer then we like, we will update the post with a more typical spring type that most have been using, which are the red spring steel super soft springs.

-----------------------------------------------------

1. First Remove the servo plate from axle

2. Remove the front bumper, front crossmember, center crossmember and electronics box and front shock towers. (The front crossmember will no longer be used)

3. Take the crossmember and cut the drive side arm of at the end of the triangle, see image below

Stock

Cut

4. Take the servo posts off the from axle plate and install onto RcBros Servo mount, using the new M3x10 Button head screws provided, and mount your servo of choice.

5. Now install the center crossmember as you would stock. On the driver side use the provided M3x10 Flat head screw provided to attach the front shock tower mount to the RcBros Servo mount. Then use the provided M3x10 button head to mount the second hole on the RcBros Servo Mount to the frame.

Last edited by RcBro; 01-24-2010 at 09:22 PM.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:22 PM   #7
RcBros Hobbies

6A. Now take the front bumper and notch the end of the driver side mount

Stock

Cut

6B. Now shave the nub off the inside of the mount on each side, this allows the leaf spring mounts to slide over the crossmember.

Stock

Cut

7. Your now ready to install your front hangers. Slide your front bumper back on and then slide the provided hangers over the frame rail and bumper, securing with the provided hardware.

8. Remove your front tires and upper and lower links along with the 3 link mount on the axle. Leaving you with just the front axle.

9. Now that the axle is out, it is time to install your front leaf spring mounts. Then attach your leaf springs to the mounts.

10. Now install your axle by securing the front of the springs to the front hangers. If you don’t plan on using your stock shocks, you can remove them at this time.

11. Now drill out the back hole just below your shock towers that use to occupy your electronic box feet to allow the supplied 3mm hardware to slip through. Depending on the weight of your rig and the springs used you may find you need mount your shackle closer to the front of the truck. You will need to drill another hole for this. However I feel that if your running a heavy rig with hard springs or a medium weight rig with soft springs similar to the RC4WD red super soft springs this stock location is perfect!

12. After the hole is drilled on both sides, mount up your shackles inserting the nylon washer in between the inside frame rail and shackle then install to the. You will want to keep your shackle hardware loose and not tight to allow the shackle to pivot during suspension changes.

13. If you choose to reuse your electronics box you will no longer use the support feet.

Note: The pictures below show a shackle angle opposite of what its suppose to be, you will need to take into account the final weight of rig when installing the shackle. As mentioned above for most uses this stock hole will be perfect once a rig is complete. Most springs such as the red super softs will settle alot once your rig is RTR.

Next post will have a different spring installed and we'll be finishing up the rear!

Last edited by RcBro; 01-24-2010 at 09:26 PM.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:32 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

is it shock less? front and back
cruz*hotboxrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 09:37 PM   #9
RcBros Hobbies

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruz*hotboxrc View Post
is it shock less? front and back
Yes, but not for long, we are working on customer scale shocks for our leaf spring kits
Old 01-25-2010, 01:28 AM   #10
TSK
Shelf queen

Will you be coming out with a pre-fabbed traction bar and mount for a leaf sprung rear axle?
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 07:41 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Cool build! I've been wanting to incorporate your leaf spring kit into one of my next builds. Looks like my Honcho will get it! Are you going to do the rear as well? I'm curious to see what the wb comes out to. Nice job, keep it up!
BGGruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 08:13 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Pactra Cobalt blue requires black as a backing color. Otherwise it won't look blue. Here's what it looks like on my Honcho:

nickvig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 08:13 AM   #13
"HOLLYWOOD"

Sweet a$$ build and instruction's manual to your product, was considering going leaf with mine adn after seeing this might do it just wanna see the finish product. Great job.

Oh and about the paint I did a body and the same thing happen lolol I was like oh well, talk to a freind of mine and told me he got a better result after heating the can in hot water for a while.
Mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 08:21 AM   #14
RCC Addict

We want to see these shocks you speak of
701 Technique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 09:51 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

LOL! same thing happened to me.
I wet sanded the outside of the whole cab and shot it with flat black it looks way better now, at least until i get it on the rocks

I want to get that kit for my honcho!

Quote:
Originally Posted by APESHAT View Post
^Me too - I was trying to do pearl white on the bottom 1/2 of mine, damn pactra paint did me in as well! Shot the whole
can and barely got anything pearl about it, backed w/silver like usual & that's what I got. . just silver.
Right On w/the build RcBro! now I can reference yours (hers) when I get my leafsprings-
nmanuel01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 10:03 AM   #16
RcBros Hobbies

We do plan to work on a trac bar setup and it's probably something I'll work on for this build. I'm thinking I may copy Jasons honcho and put in a two speed trany which will require one lol.

I have a buddy who used the same paint with the same colors as myself and it turned out similar to the can, from what I've read the spactra two part paints are hit or miss.

I plan to pick up a set of red super soft springs today to finish the suspension tonight.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:45 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

nice job!

ill be getn one of your kits soon.

i like the ease of installation.
ROLANDROCKSHOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 12:31 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

how well does it flex w. the delrin leafs? looks good!
big bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 08:24 PM   #19
RcBros Hobbies

Quote:
Originally Posted by big bronco View Post
how well does it flex w. the delrin leafs? looks good!
To be honest these delrin leafs suck with such a light rig lol, but I think alittle thinner delrin leaf it'll be much better. Going to get the red springs mounted on soon. Work before play first though
Old 01-25-2010, 09:03 PM   #20
TSK
Shelf queen

I wouldn';t risk running a delrin leaf anyways. Especially a thin one. Too much risk for failure.
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-scx-10/226466-rcbros-leaf-spring-honcho-build.html
Posted By For Type Date
SCX Leaf Kit - Scale 4x4 R/C Forums This thread Refback 10-07-2011 04:57 AM