Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: moving shocks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2013, 10:42 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default moving shocks

on the scx10 i need to remove the rear shock hoops to get the body lower. what shocks do you guys use to angle them in and mount to a crossmember at the frame ? and what is used for a crossmember?
screwed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2013, 10:46 AM   #2
Scale Detail Engineering

Default Re: moving shocks

Are you looking for the GearHead kit?
Gear Head RC SCX10 Rear Shock Relocation Kit
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:50 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

excellent, didnt know there was a kit for that. thanx.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:08 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

yup its a great kit to. but its gonna lift the rear end. so youll also wanna grab the lift kit to to level out the truck so it doesnt look like a dragster, lol

Level3 Lift Kit Axial SCX-10 Honcho
PontiacGT201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:27 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Sounds like you want shorter shocks, which is a better option than lifting the front to match and having way too much articulation in the rear. Take a look at the kit pictures to determine where they mount and take some rough measurements at your desired ride height to figure out which length shocks to get.
05Fronty4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:39 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

I was curious myself so I measured, and it looks like something around 70-80mm would be close to matching stock height. My calipers measure just over 70mm, but the Gearhead kit adds a bracket on top of the crossmember I measured to which would add 5-10mm.
Old 04-08-2013, 04:56 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

i had once DIYd what the Gearhead kit does - when I ran it, i removed one of the springs on the stock shocks - they ended up right around what your calipers show if planning to go this route and order new shocks. your other option might be to mount shorter shocks (like short course shocks) directly to the frame like many have done for their Hilux builds w/drop beds
Perkolator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:08 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05Fronty4x View Post
Sounds like you want shorter shocks, which is a better option than lifting the front to match and having way too much articulation in the rear. Take a look at the kit pictures to determine where they mount and take some rough measurements at your desired ride height to figure out which length shocks to get.
i was just going to ask about this. so ill have to set my ride height and measure. im going from 1.9 to 1.55 just to see if i can get it looking more scale ish. the monster truck look is getting old.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:37 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by screwed View Post
i was just going to ask about this. so ill have to set my ride height and measure. im going from 1.9 to 1.55 just to see if i can get it looking more scale ish. the monster truck look is getting old.
Yes, and that's if you plan to run fully sprung where the ride height is at full shock extension. If you want the suspension to sag some, say 10mm for example, then just add that to your measured length and adjust the new shocks accordingly.

For reference RC4WD makes several shocks in 70 and 80mm lengths, and G-Made make their various XD shocks in 75 and 85mm and their G-Transitions in 80mm. Keep in mind the "Ultimate Scale Shocks" on RC4WD have a bit less travel than just about any other shock of equal length if you plan to go that route.

I think tuning shocks and suspension setup is the best part of working on these rigs, so have fun.

moving shocks - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
More power and faster moving forward than moving backwards? StickyWheels Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 8 01-07-2012 09:11 PM
Moving paintballer9876 Colorado 12 09-16-2011 10:40 AM