RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Axial SCX-10 (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-scx-10/)
-   -   The New Guy (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-scx-10/460042-new-guy.html)

Fourflys 08-31-2013 06:56 PM

The New Guy

Hey All,
I've got an Rubicon RTR on the way and can't wait to try out this scale crawler thing... I live on Kodiak Island, Alaska so I should be able to get some good crawling...

I have a long history in RC that started in the late 80's racing indoor carpet. I got a bit sidetracked with a career and family, but hope to get back into it now...

Not a lot of RC action on Kodiak, but hopefully I can find someone else or get a buddy into it...

Can't wait to start sharing pics of my rig...

Thanks,
Chris

stopmojim 08-31-2013 07:05 PM

Re: The New Guy

Welcome to the addiction. I'm new to crawling and scaling myself. New to this board too. I was a heli guy and an occasional cheap ground RC guy. I got a Wraith and I'm loving it. Plan on getting an SCX-10 and doing some custom scaling work on the body, but that is for later. Just loving modding and bashing my Wraith right now. This stuff may not be cheap, but it is major fun. Alaska is a great place for trailing, scaling, and taking pics for us to drool over. Looking forward.

RyanRay 08-31-2013 08:44 PM

Hell yea man. I can't wait to see some of your trail pics. That Rubicon is a very capable machine right out of the box. Just bite the bullet and get two of them... your going to want one for your friends/kids/wife/yeti to play with!

Fourflys 09-01-2013 12:47 PM

Thanks, really looking forward to the Jeep getting here!

poppapimp615143 09-02-2013 07:47 AM

You won't be disappointed. The JK was my first crawler and its a blast to mess with."thumbsup"

Rastaman 09-02-2013 09:14 AM

Ya my son has a Jk it's awesome outta the box, but first things first replace that steering link with alum, that's the first thing to fail....other than that have fun...

JetBlast 09-02-2013 10:32 AM

Have fun! I started out crawling a couple months ago. I fly helicopters and got out of short course racing. I decided crawling was way easier and more fun than short course racing.

Have fun and very soon, you will go mod crazy on your Jeep!

Fourflys 09-02-2013 10:39 AM

thanks! Hopefully I'll be back down in SoCal next year... I got transferred up here to Alaska last summer from San Diego, wish I was into crawlers then! ;)

SmokeScx10 09-02-2013 11:15 AM

Yea for real welcome to the RC addiction... Started with one car know I have 5 cars and one touring car in progress... Cant wait for your pictures... Check my jeep out if you would like... http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial...on-update.html

stopmojim 09-02-2013 11:32 AM

I wish there were more guys into scaling and crawling here in Jacksonville. I went to the local Hobby World here a few days ago looking to see what they had for scalers or maybe some Axial stuff and the guy looked at me like I was from Mars.

"Not to many folks into that stuff around here", the guy tells me. That's the only shop still in Jacksonville. I blankly browsed through the gigantic train selection and left empty handed and deflated.

There is a "Hobby Town" in Gainesville that has all sorts of Axial, and scaling stuff, but they are an hour and a half away. Oh well, at least it is on the way to my Daughter's house. I can stop in at Hobby Town when visiting and then play on my son-in-law's pile of rocks.:)

SmokeScx10 09-02-2013 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stopmojim (Post 4463141)
I wish there were more guys into scaling and crawling here in Jacksonville. I went to the local Hobby World here a few days ago looking to see what they had for scalers or maybe some Axial stuff and the guy looked at me like I was from Mars.

"Not to many folks into that stuff around here", the guy tells me. That's the only shop still in Jacksonville. I blankly browsed through the gigantic train selection and left empty handed and deflated.

There is a "Hobby Town" in Gainesville that has all sorts of Axial, and scaling stuff, but they are an hour and a half away. Oh well, at least it is on the way to my Daughter's house. I can stop in at Hobby Town when visiting and then play on my son-in-law's pile of rocks.:)

LOL like you was from Mars... First hobby shop in my town same exact thing lol... I was like axial do you carry them... he said to me we dont carry arts supplies i was like what... let me ask again to you carry offroad axial trucks... hes answer o o o no like he know but he didnt lol... next place i stopped at luckly had one Jeep Rubicon Kit I was so happy... Know there my favorite Hobby Shop...

Fourflys 09-02-2013 01:55 PM

Well, we have no hobby shop on the island... But, there is one over in Anchorage that knows about crawling...

stopmojim 09-02-2013 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmokeScx10 (Post 4463277)
LOL like you was from Mars... First hobby shop in my town same exact thing lol... I was like axial do you carry them... he said to me we dont carry arts supplies i was like what... let me ask again to you carry offroad axial trucks... hes answer o o o no like he know but he didnt lol... next place i stopped at luckly had one Jeep Rubicon Kit I was so happy... Know there my favorite Hobby Shop...

I went in there with the intent to buy a Wraith and all the trimmings to make it go for someone that has never owned hobby grade off road stuff. I mean the battery and the charger, tools, accessories. lights, you name it. I went home and got it all from Tower Hobbies online. The guy missed out on quite a sale actually. I try to buy local, but local seems to have an increasingly sorry selection.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fourflys
Well, we have no hobby shop on the island... But, there is one over in Anchorage that knows about crawling...

Yeah, hobby shops are getting harder to find. Too many folks living in the digital world.:) Probably be a good idea for you to eventually waterproof seeing how you got all that fun snow and ice up there to bash around in.

Fourflys 09-02-2013 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stopmojim (Post 4463323)
Yeah, hobby shops are getting harder to find. Too many folks living in the digital world.:) Probably be a good idea for you to eventually waterproof seeing how you got all that fun snow and ice up there to bash around in.

I plan to waterproof everything for sure... lots of rain here...

probably do the ballon trick that Axial blog talks about...

raceeng18 09-02-2013 04:00 PM

I'm sure if all else fails, you could get one of the Kodiak bears to play with you. I was on Kodiak back in the 80's working for a couple of days. Man those things are big. Have fun with your new Rubicon, I really like mine.

Fourflys 09-05-2013 08:44 PM

Got my Rubicon today! Unfortunately, my charger shipped from a different location so it's still on the way... Can't wait to run this!

https://sphotos-b-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/h...93467869_n.jpg

raceeng18 09-05-2013 08:46 PM

Good for you, you're almost there. Keep us posted.

Fourflys 09-08-2013 06:40 PM

Got out for some crawling today, trying to learn the rig's limits... Nothing special and no pics, but at least I got the tires a bit muddy! Definitely gotta relocate the battery to the front... Just gotta find the right hardware....

raceeng18 09-08-2013 06:58 PM

Most of the spacers and other things you'll need are part of the current battery mounting system. There is also a how to video on Axials web site I believe.

Fourflys 09-08-2013 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raceeng18 (Post 4470674)
Most of the spacers and other things you'll need are part of the current battery mounting system. There is also a how to video on Axials web site I believe.

the manual make it sound like I needed longer screws which I couldn't find anywhere in my spare parts.. I have the Rubicon RTR...