Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Big Dave's SCX10

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2011, 02:40 PM   #1

Default Big Dave's SCX10

Got this earlier this week. Been real happy with it so far, performs very well given some of the limitations of the RTR package. The plastic links have got to go, but that's been the only major hold up so far. We've played around with it a bit near the house, but the weather was nice this morning so we took it up to Daniels Park and had some fun.

Not sure what the future holds for it right now outside of upgrading the links. My wife was driving in both of those vids, and now she might end up getting one too.

Last edited by Big Dave; 03-12-2011 at 02:43 PM.
Big Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2011, 03:29 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Nice vids.
V3500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 12:45 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

nice vids! I love my scx10! get a 35T ~ 55T and a good ESC and that rig will be crawling
JS412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 11:38 AM   #4
RCC Addict

looks like fun.

i took my honcho out on the rocks this past weekend and it did alright.. but when i swapped tires from a friends ax10 with weighted sedonas my honcho did awesome and i was climbing some lines that he couldnt climb with his ax10. it was night and day. i have a set of 2.2 tsl's waiting on some rims.

i say put some stick-on wheel weights and it will climb that same line no problem. also i took my foams out of the tires and "rounded" them a little bit to make them softer.
AX10wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 04:31 PM   #5

Snapped one of the ears on the rear drive shaft today. The rear axle started walking up under the truck and the ears just couldn't handle the angle. I guess the mods start now, lol.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:22 PM   #6
RCC Addict

haha yup... now that you've broken something its time to start modding and upgrading.
AX10wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 05:59 PM   #7

Nice! Got rid of my plastic links to.
Q63tactical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 06:14 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

get set of mip drive shafts for the ax10, and the scx1- rtr link upgrade kit. should cost around $ 80 and you will never have that problem again.
foproy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 09:53 AM   #9

I grabbed a set of 'pede shafts at the LHS since they were easy to grab. BARELY long enough, but they've held up to a couple crawling sessions. Gonna order up the link upgrade and hopefully some MIP's in the next couple days.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:37 PM   #10

So the new links and driveshafts are working great. Having a problem with what I can only guess is the ESC. It's more prominent when the batteries aren't fresh, but they should still have a lot of life left in them (20 minutes or so in a 3300 and 5000 mah NIMH from cheapbatterypacks.com). Basically the ESC will lose power and it goes through that whole beeping thing, then the steering comes back and sometimes the power to the wheels. I can tell the ESC is receiving a signal because the lights on it go green or flash red like they do under normal opertaion, but sometimes the motor won't turn. It seems to be tied into the wires somehow as moving them can create and/or solve the problem. Maybe a loose solder connection from one of the battery cables to the board in the ESC?
Old 03-28-2011, 11:32 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

i dont intend this to bee mean... but why do people post pics of stock trucks with no major upgrades... at least this is a running video and not pics of a stock truck!
R/C BUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 12:05 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by R/C BUM View Post
i dont intend this to bee mean... but why do people post pics of stock trucks with no major upgrades... at least this is a running video and not pics of a stock truck!
Everyone has their build threads. Its an evolutionary process, and we all had to start somewhere. I doubt it will stay stock for long.
zjguy721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 10:54 PM   #13

Traded for some 2.2's. Need to trim the bumper and re-install it, and trim some of the body. Also figured out my intermittent issue with the motor not getting power, the + lead to the motor came loose. Soldered it back up and ready to go.

Old 05-01-2014, 12:21 PM   #14

Default Re: Big Dave's SCX10

Pulled this thing back out, put some new 2.2 Ripsaw's on with Axial beadlocks. Everything was going great, a couple minor issues like pulling the plastic TRE out of the tie rod. Was screwing around with it last night climbing a retaining wall in my front yard and snapped the front output of the tranny so I'll tear it all apart this weekend.