RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Axial SCX-10 (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-scx-10/)
-   -   New G6 Build - Bevel Gear bind? (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-scx-10/475816-new-g6-build-bevel-gear-bind.html)

magna 12-30-2013 06:58 AM

New G6 Build - Bevel Gear bind?

So I finally dropped enough money to get a new G6 kit and stuck right off the bat. First of all I'm not new to RC at all. But this is my first crawler build.

The axles are really binding. I pushed the pinion axle all the way down as the instructions say. But it does feel like it is still hitching on the bevel a little bit. I've read a few places that you need to get it perfect and others where you just need to run it and it will wear in. It's not terrible, but it's not smooth.

Anyone else get this issue? Advice?

CBR74 12-30-2013 07:09 AM

Re: New G6 Build - Bevel Gear bind?

Chuck the input shaft into a drill and run it until it's smooth. The gears are cast and they have to wear into each other.

magna 12-30-2013 05:22 PM

Ok, will do. Seems like they were a bit rough. Glad to know that it's not just me. I did keep going on the build and the rest is going pretty well.

Hirschowl 12-30-2013 05:28 PM

One of mine were as smooth as butter and the other had one little rough spot in it. I must of took the axle apart 4 or 5 times. Checked the gears and regreased. Then read on here somewhere about the drill trick. Now runs smooth like the other axle.

stevem50 12-30-2013 05:32 PM

you check for flash left between the teeth? the small bits tend to blend in with that color grey

sbrfan 12-30-2013 05:41 PM

I work at a LHS and had a cutomer was having the problem your having I pulled his apart and found nothing when I put it back together it was fine, He then retightend it and it got raspy feeling ? Your bolts are not over tightened are they ? He had his diff some what miss shaped. Causing gears to bind .

Tmaxxed 12-30-2013 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbrfan (Post 4606909)
I work at a LHS and had a cutomer was having the problem your having I pulled his apart and found nothing when I put it back together it was fine, He then retightend it and it got raspy feeling ? Your bolts are not over tightened are they ? He had his diff some what miss shaped. Causing gears to bind .

Had his diff somewhat miss shaped? What was overtightened? I'm not following here. What and why did he retighten after you put it together? What do you mean? I'm not starting anything here, I've just never heard this in my 30+ years in this hobby.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Tmaxxed 12-30-2013 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tmaxxed (Post 4607165)
Had his diff somewhat miss shaped? What was overtightened? I'm not following here. What and why did he retighten after you put it together? What do you mean? I'm not starting anything here, I've just never heard this in my 30+ years in this hobby.

Wraith1985 12-30-2013 08:10 PM

Mine did the same thing. I played around with it until there was just a little noise, went ahead and ran it and its been fine, no problems or noises.