RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Axial SCX-10 (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-scx-10/)
-   -   how can i keep my scx-10 from doing wheelies on steep inclines? (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-scx-10/488799-how-can-i-keep-my-scx-10-doing-wheelies-steep-inclines.html)

gofaster427 03-24-2014 06:25 PM

how can i keep my scx-10 from doing wheelies on steep inclines?

OK I have an scx-10 with 12 inch wheelbase I have moved weight forward and downward and it still stands to flip end over end on steep inclines I am running 3s 4000mah battery in the front I have custom made steel front bumper with a hard body and pro line power stroke shocks all the way around. It also has a custom rear bumper and roll bar. And I am running vanquish chubs and hubs and lockouts with beef tubes in plastic housings and mayhem wheels with pitbull rock beasts. Any suggestions?

Lentsnh2012 03-24-2014 06:30 PM

Re: how can i keep my scx-10 from doing wheelies on steep inclines?

Move your rear upper links up above the frame rail. Duuuuuuuude and monkeyracer both make an adapter for this problem.

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/chass...-geometry.html

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/gener...k-dummies.html

Shinjari 03-24-2014 06:39 PM

Those links above are very helpful for sure. You could also put stiffer springs in the rear or add some preload to them to keep the suspension from unloading early. ALso theres only so much angle of climb even the best setup rig can do. =)

lonleycreeper 03-24-2014 06:46 PM

Ud/Od gears in the axle "pull" the front down, you can also go faster...

No seriously, going fast up a climb plants the truck with forward momentum, just watch formula off road.

gofaster427 03-24-2014 07:45 PM

Thank you all so far seems very helpful I will have to try some of these ideas

STANG KILLA SS 03-24-2014 08:07 PM

add more weight in the front wheels.
also ditching that giant brick battery will have a huge impact as well.

correcting anti squat geometry helps (links above)but not nearly as much as the above two things.

hope this helps"thumbsup"

TacoCrawler 03-24-2014 08:24 PM

surprised it wasn't mentioned already.

rotate/mirror the transmission.

from the factory...
the torque applied wants to lift the front passenger tire.
this is a bad thing when climbing.

altering the trans. mount position will do the opposite.
and will help with keeping the front end down
when throttle is applied.

kaneohecrawler 03-24-2014 09:22 PM

Also......

Make sure your rear foams arent to soft and tires collapsing on themselves. That one issue will increase the angle at which your rig "thinks" its climbing. causing un neccessarry rollovers.

gofaster427 03-24-2014 09:40 PM

Battery is in the front and the trans has been mirrored already

TrilloThrillo110 03-25-2014 02:35 PM

Take the rear driveshaft out!!!! :D

THUNDER PRO 03-25-2014 04:28 PM

Add a dig unit.

johnnyh66 03-25-2014 05:02 PM

Wheelie Bars!

Pgambardella 03-25-2014 06:42 PM

Scx10's come with a cross member that sits on top of the servo horn from the factory. This limits the ability for the whole front axle to articulate but still allows for the axle to flex. I found that cutting a small section of the crossmember out for the servo horn to fit through eliminates this problem and allows you to keep the point to mount your battery plate. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/26/edu3uges.jpg the way it sits now you have no front suspension travel when on a incline

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

gofaster427 03-26-2014 05:58 AM

I moved that frame brace forward so it is not an issue

Pgambardella 03-26-2014 06:10 AM

Wow these must be extremely steep inclines, you got me. Wraith links and driveshafts will extend your wheelbase more but you probably wouldn't want to go that long.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

6sharky9 03-26-2014 12:42 PM

OD and UD gears will give you the most bang for the buck to start with...it slows your rear wheel speed down and speeds up the front and is less likely to flip the truck on a steeper incline.
However they were designed more for dedicated rock crawlers as opposed to trail rigs and have a disadvantage in trail truck use..What ive done is used the underdrive gear for the rear only and left the front ratio stock so the difference isn't as much between wheel speed on the front vs rear but still a noticeable improvement to get you up hill and no ill effects for normal trail use...I don't see the fun in hitting the gas and spinning the front wheels while you drag the rears.

The Anti squat links are good for about a 2 maybe 3 degree improvement on an incline before lifting the front..However its still throttle sensitive to obtain the gains...You cant hit the throttle hard and it not still flip over on you..Its a minimal gain but a gain non the less.

Most of the weight up front helps also but a well balanced truck performs better overall for a trail truck ..Again ;something generally done for a dedicated rock crawler.

Don't forget throttle control is your friend as well in most all situations.

If you want something to climb a 70 80 90 degree angle then don't beat your brain silly trying to do that in a trail truck..it wont happen...if that's what you wont don't waste your money on the scx10 and get yourself a rock crawler instead and improve it to climb far better than any scx10 will ever climb

gofaster427 03-28-2014 08:34 PM

I changed the rear bumper up just a bit( it would hang up on some stuff) and I have yet to go test and see if their is any difference yet . hopefully tomorrow after noon I will be able to test again

gofaster427 03-30-2014 10:34 PM

Update: I moved the battery from up top on the front to acrossed the frame and down behind the front shock hoops this helped a little bit . I have also changed the front proline shocks lower rod ends from the long ones to the short ones so the front shocks are now 90mm as opposed to 95mm. I have not tried a steep climb with the shock change as of yet. I am making progress though and that is what is important!

T I N Y 03-31-2014 12:15 PM

I got the simplest answer for ya...Stop going up steep inclines....lol The second easiest answer I'd say is to add weight to the front wheels."thumbsup"