Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: New JK for me

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2014, 10:59 AM   #1

Default New JK for me

I just recently got into this whole trail rig thing when I bought a used scx10 a few months ago. I just bought a new JK kit to build myself. I am by no means new to R/C lol but new(er) to this. Now I've read a ton of stuff saying this is better than that. You know how all that goes lol but I have a few questions about my build

1. My existing SCX10 has absolutely horrible steering. What can I do to get better steering? Without spending a fortune lol I've read people say just get CVDs and it will solve it all. I've also read about a different steering link to clear the axle.

2. How are the stock foam and tires that come with that kit? I already ordered some beadlock rims so I'm ditching the stock plastic lol

3. What's a good fairly inexpensive ESC? I normally run Tekin in all my race stuff but can't bring myself to buy a FXR that I'm probably going to ruin with some water lol I know I can 'waterproof' it but I know how that goes

4. What are some other cheap or free must do upgrades or 'tricks' lol

Thanks!

I can't wait to get into this kit. With my current work schedule it makes it hard for me to go racing all the time. So this seems like a good alternative lol
mottillod is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-2014, 11:16 AM   #2
Moderator Rule Breaker

Default Re: New JK for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by mottillod View Post
I just recently got into this whole trail rig thing when I bought a used scx10 a few months ago. I just bought a new JK kit to build myself. I am by no means new to R/C lol but new(er) to this. Now I've read a ton of stuff saying this is better than that. You know how all that goes lol but I have a few questions about my build

1. My existing SCX10 has absolutely horrible steering. What can I do to get better steering? Without spending a fortune lol I've read people say just get CVDs and it will solve it all. I've also read about a different steering link to clear the axle.

2. How are the stock foam and tires that come with that kit? I already ordered some beadlock rims so I'm ditching the stock plastic lol

3. What's a good fairly inexpensive ESC? I normally run Tekin in all my race stuff but can't bring myself to buy a FXR that I'm probably going to ruin with some water lol I know I can 'waterproof' it but I know how that goes

Thanks!

I can't wait to get into this kit. With my current work schedule it makes it hard for me to go racing all the time. So this seems like a good alternative lol
1. Cvds or xr steering mod.

2. Stock tires are decent. Look in crawler innovation foams.

3. Homles esc comes in waterproof version

4. Make your own links.
eric113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 11:17 AM   #3

Which foams? I know they make a few lol
Old 11-03-2014, 11:34 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Some suggestions in red.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mottillod View Post
There is a good, better, best approach to steering mods
Good-Take out the front screw that holds on the c-hub, countersink the hole, and replace the screw with a countersunk screw. This gives a little more steering before the knuckle hits the axle housing, cheap and easy but small impact to steering.
Better-Replace stock components with high clearance knuckles, CVDs, and a bent steering tierod. This give much more steering angle than stock but costs somewhere $75-150 depending on the brands used.
Best-XR steering mod. Gives the truck the most steering throw but a good bit of modding goes into this compared to the other options.

The tires are good. The foams are way too soft, ditch them. I like Crawler Innovations closed cell inserts but they may be too stiff for rock only duty.

Castle sidewinder 3 ($50-60 if you shop around) as a mid-priced option, Hobbywing Quicrun 10 ($20 from Falcon Sekido) for a cheap option, both are waterproof from the factory.

Move the battery to the front position or across the chassis behind the front shock tower. The front chassis brace will have to be cut or removed completely or the servo horn hits it when the suspension cycles.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 11:47 AM   #5

Thanks for the quick reply!

1. How are the axial cvds?

2. Which CI foams to go with?

3. Can you program the quicrun esc?

Thanks again
Old 11-03-2014, 12:18 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

1. I haven't used the Axial CVDs but guys seem to like them, a few people have had problems breaking the pins in the CV joint with big power or setting the steering past the max range of the CVDs. I have the ST Racing CVDs, they are a little beefier than the Axials but the fit of the axle into the bearings could be tighter.
2. I use the Deuces Wild closed cell foams (the ones for the Pitbull MadBeast fit the stock Trepador tires) which are good for trails and occasional rocks, the Lil Novas are softer and would be better if you are going to be running on rocks mostly and need additional flex from the tire.
3. The Hobbywing is limited in programming to FWR/BRK or FWR/BRK/REV and lipo or nimh voltage cutoff by 2 jumpers.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 01:43 AM   #7

Or you could look into the new ae-5 esc from axial...I have one and it is performing great so far!
jackjc98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 11:57 PM   #8

I just picked up some new wheels. Those plastic ones just aren't going to cut it lol I also got an ae-2 for an incredibly low price from a friend so that's going in. Cvds are next!