Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: CFM builds MadMaXJ 2.0

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2016, 04:46 PM   #1
Metal shaper

Default CFM builds MadMaXJ 2.0

Well I didn't intend on getting one of these as it didn't peak my interest to the level of some things but wanted a set of the axles to modify and make better so I said why not.
Decided it would be a "clone" of my 1:1 XJ that I've done before with the proline body and currently doing a highly detailed super scale version with the import XJ hardbody.
First was inspection of all the new stuff and putting the mics to things and seeing what's what and what's possible.
Overall initial impression is that Axial really listened and has been paying attention. The layout of the chassis and new axle design is a huge step forward. It's the only chassis offered with a built in servo winch mount.
I'll get into my thoughts and things I've done different to suit my needs with this new rig and hope y'all enjoy.
CarterFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-2016, 04:53 PM   #2
Metal shaper

Default Re: CFM builds MadMaXJ 2.0

First thing I went to were the tires to measure, feel, and compare.
They measure out to 4.550", new foams are better than previous versions, the width is a bit much as I prefer the Prolines profile better. The Axial version also is lacking on some of the sidewall detail that is included on the Proline tire.
Compound is said to be R35 but is reminiscent of the 2.2 "R35" trepadors that are different in color, feel, and these lack the white dot that is familiar. They feel more along lines of the new S30 compound which isn't horrible.
Overall, another great option in the middle of the road sizing for Class2 rigs that don't want an aggressive tire.
Next were the wheels. Those that know, may remember we used to produce the licensed Method Mesh Delrin 2.2 wheels so I was pleased to see a smaller version being offered finally.
Typical glue on wheel with the exception of a heavy duty hex area which is much appreciated, especially if you decide to SLW mod the wheels.

Old 06-06-2016, 05:02 PM   #3
Metal shaper

Next I went straight to the axles as that was the whole reason for this rig for me personally.
The smaller diff is awesome, detail on it and the cover are nice, gear quality looks great and the universals have crazy functional angle.

[IMG]http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160606/646a441a223c6347acc9529cf9da3062.jpg[/IMG
Next thing I wanted to do was make comparisons of existing axle shafts.
A Scx vvd is close but no cigar. The centerline pivot is off which would create binding.

Grabbed a Scx narrow mod XR shaft and the joint centerline is good but inner bearing surface is way off.

Then I got to wondering how the new parts match up to the old housings.

Pow!!!!!
Now the disclaimer.
These housings have brass inner tubes which are a must if you do this mod.
You have to grind the little nubs off for the original chub mounts on the housings.
After I set the angle of the new chubs I drilled a hole to match up with the original chub screw hole to add peace of mind.
You'll need a new tie rod, and either a 4 link truss or aftermarket 3 link truss for your upper suspension link.
Other than that, everything bolts up and works fine together and has killer turning.
These are the axles going in my 2.0 as I have different plans for the ar44 housings.....much more on that later.
Old 06-06-2016, 05:09 PM   #4
Metal shaper

Default CFM builds MadMaXJ 2.0

Next was the body, which was the reason I really didn't want to building of these as it's just not to my liking. Yes it has great 3D scale additions that make it look great. But....it has huge fender flairs modeled after the 1:1 leaving you with zero options there. A bolt on flair would have been awesome for hose not wanting a huge fenderwell opening.
I started comparing the body to the other XJ options and parts compatibility.
The hardbody fits down inside this one, it's huge!!

Bumpers are also a touch wide for the hardbody and much too wide for the proline body.
Roof rack will work but extremely close call on the hardbody. It was too big for the proline body.

I think with some careful trimming you might be able to get the grille in the proline body but in not gonna be that experiment.

The body posts are all new design do you won't be able to cross reference those but they are much stronger and supply several handy options.
Still curious where the .040" claim is found at. Maybe it started life as a thick sheet but it's not there anymore unfortunately.

Last edited by CarterFab; 06-06-2016 at 05:16 PM.
Old 06-06-2016, 05:14 PM   #5
Metal shaper

Wasn't gonna even build it but my family was spread out out of town this weekend so I spent a couple late evenings putting it together.
The chassis is same as old with exception to a few extra holes for the new style trans mount. It uses the same skid mourning dimensions and includes two versions. One win old style trans case mount pattern.

That's great as I didn't initially want to run the giant trans with the motor so far back.
That said, when I started building, I was able to mount the motor forward for more scale, better weight bias, and personal satisfaction. Still kept the CMS option and forward battery mount that worked out to be the identical size of my 1300 and 1400mah 3s packs.

The organization integrated into the chassis seems to be something with the new rigs coming from Axial and it's a great addition. Everything is tidy.

Also the new sliders are a big improvement and the adjustability for width is great if you change bodies.
Old 06-06-2016, 05:24 PM   #6
Metal shaper

Now to the things I didn't use and changing for this rig personally other than what's been mentioned.
Not running the Icon shocks as there hasn't been any changes there. I'll be running the short traxxas big bores.
Mounted my Locked Up RC Commando winch up front. Bolted right on without mod. Drilled the bumper to bolt a real fairlead on.
Trimmed the fender flairs off the rear but left the fronts despite really disliking the look.

Had a Proline interior handy and it's a little undersized, mostly on length, but it will work for this project and looks nice. I'll be swapping to a Dinky RC universal 3D interior later when I make some changes to match how the 1:1 is built now.

Mounted up a set of Duratrax Scaler tires as they are close to the old school MTR. Mounted them on a set of Duratrax scale wheels that are SLW modified. I'll be swapping the wheels out for exact matches from Locked Up since they produce the scale version of our Beadlock rings.
Shown with tall bigbores so it will sit quite a bit lower once I get the shocks swapped out.
Old 06-06-2016, 08:24 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Nice! Someone finally turns that transmission around! Any idea if a 2200 pack will fit in the battery tray now?
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 08:26 PM   #8
RCC Addict

where did you get your pivot balls? ive been looking for a place where i could buy a whole bunch.
goobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 08:31 PM   #9
Metal shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by goobs View Post
where did you get your pivot balls? ive been looking for a place where i could buy a whole bunch.

They are prototypes not available yet. You can swap in Revo balls
Old 06-06-2016, 08:32 PM   #10
Metal shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col_Sanders View Post
Nice! Someone finally turns that transmission around! Any idea if a 2200 pack will fit in the battery tray now?

These packs I use are 3.600" long and perfect fit
Old 06-06-2016, 08:39 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarterFab View Post
They are prototypes not available yet. You can swap in Revo balls
yes, but im tired of having sooooooo many empty rod ends. i just wanna buy the balls lol.
Old 06-06-2016, 08:40 PM   #12
Metal shaper

Traxxas sells packs of anodized aluminum balls with out rod ends
Old 06-06-2016, 09:10 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Traxxas sells packs of anodized aluminum balls with out rod ends
this is true, but they're so pricey. its cheaper to just buy the normal packs.

guess ill wait on yours to not be prototypes anymore lol
Old 06-06-2016, 09:19 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

They sell normal ball ends http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...FYeUfgodaYAJkQ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jdmguy760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 09:59 PM   #15
Metal shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by goobs View Post
this is true, but they're so pricey. its cheaper to just buy the normal packs.

guess ill wait on yours to not be prototypes anymore lol

These aren't made by me
Old 06-06-2016, 11:26 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmguy760 View Post
They sell normal ball ends TowerHobbies.com | Traxxas Machined Steel Hollow Balls (22)

SPECIFICATIONS
Length: 5mm (0.20")
Outer Diameter: 4.5mm (0.18")
Inner Diameter: 2.5mm (0.1")

Revo balls is 7mm length, outer 5.76mm, inner 3mm. Those won't work.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 11:29 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Well shit touché my friend lol

jdmguy760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 04:05 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
These aren't made by me
well whosever's they are lol
Old 06-07-2016, 05:10 PM   #19

With flipping the trans and center skid like that, how did it affect your link lengths? I'm hoping to do something similar with mine (once it comes...) and am thinking of running the ESC up front in the battery tray and mounting the battery sideways across the frame rails behind the trans to get it nice and low (yes, i still run a big 5000 mAh 2s).
I2adioActive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 05:49 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmguy760 View Post
They sell normal ball ends http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...FYeUfgodaYAJkQ

Those are for the 1/16 trucks. Super small.
EDGE is offline   Reply With Quote

CFM builds MadMaXJ 2.0 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rock Spyder by CFM CarterFab 1.9 Scale Rigs 90 04-17-2014 12:35 PM
Venom One by CFM CarterFab Axial Wraith 73 07-22-2013 10:16 AM
looking for prerunner builds. post builds here wcdfmt510 General Scale Talk 19 06-27-2013 09:48 PM