Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: Which one performs better?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2017, 06:46 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Which one performs better?

As the title says. Which one will perform better

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Motorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2017, 07:00 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Which one performs better?

Two completely different vehicles. Pure rock crawling, Wraith, mixed terrain/trail, both but the XJ is more realistic.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Jeepy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 08:15 PM   #3
Oppan Gangnam Style

Since you have them sitting there, set up a course and find out for yourself. Unless you have no thumbs, then you are screwed.
chino63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 08:38 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Perform on what type of terrain? For steep, BIG rocks I have my money on the Wraith. For tight technical trailing and through gates with very tight turns I've got my money on the SCX.
MattySlimz1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 08:40 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Ginger?.. or Mary Ann?
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 09:08 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Well the wraith sucked on the rocks. It was downright terrible. Both are mine. I just picked up the wraith for free. It was part of the 750 buyout that was posted for sale here a while back. Traded off the bomber for a brand new Ruckus 2wd, hpi e10, and a new slash 4x4 with 2 bodies and pro line trenchers. Anyhow sold all but the wraith and I ended up with a bunch of cash as well.

So the wraith has many upgrades. But the tires leave little to be desired. This thing could not get up on my test setup, which is 2 pallets side by side with a 2 foot gap between them. I screwed some 1/4" plywood at the top of both to connect them. Goal is for trucks to go up one pallet across the plywood and down the other pallet. I raise the pallet steeper and steeper until I find the tip point of the truck I'm testing. Works great to test the side hilling.

Long story short, my scx10.2 can go up either side, across, and down without flipping. The wraith could not get up either side. Stupid tires gripped nothing. The wraith has axial ripsaws. The 10.2 has new proline hyraxes.

Old 06-02-2017, 09:11 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Here is the parts list for the wraith...

Old 06-02-2017, 09:41 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Here is a clip of the 10.2 getting on a rock I was yet to conquer. No other truck has been on it yet...made my evening.

https://youtu.be/7RK1eiYcizc

Old 06-02-2017, 11:47 PM   #9
Oppan Gangnam Style

So now we know you have thumbs...

Why would you ask which will do better if you can find out for yourself?
chino63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 08:02 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

I'm not seeing a lot of usefull upgrades in that list... A lot of fluf and useless bearing/hardware kits/tools.

2 motors
2 BECs
3 BEC bypass adapters
etc
whitrzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 08:42 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

So hyraxs are better than ripsaws. who knew!?
Why did you post the list?
351Beno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 01:54 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

I thought it was a list of goodies on the wraith.

I'm pretty new to the hobby. I know very little about tires or brands of tires. I was just shocked that a 2.2 rig could not follow my 10.2 anywhere

Old 06-03-2017, 06:27 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

There are actually plenty of useful upgrades/goodies in that list:

Beef tubes, Incision links and SSD Assassin wheels for low slung weight, VP universals, bushings and stage 1 kit for better turning, Wertymade forward mount battery tray for front weight bias and Incision spool/locker for reduced slop. If the Pro-Line shocks are set up right, they should work better than stock as well. Many of the the other items will improve durability for sure.

I have several of those same upgrades on my Bomber and they made a noticeable difference in how well it crawled. I have 2 SCX10 II's (one stock and one with several upgrades) and my upgraded Bomber absolutely crawls better. It can make angles and pull obstacles that "my" II's cannot. Although different vehicles(Bomber and Wraith) they have enough similarities compared to the SCX10 II that I would definitely think yours would crawl better.

Different tires with 2 stage foams should make a difference you will see.

I prefer my II's for trailing; but, my 2.2 rig is much better at straight crawling. Change the tires and foams and give it another go at a few things.

(edit to add) I'm not saying II's can't be built to crawl better or that 2.2's have any inherent advantage... just that your II has stock top heavy body, stock bumpers etc. I would think the upgrades on your Wraith would allow it to crawl as well, better or at least closer to the II... especially with some better shoes.

Last edited by powder4breakfast; 06-03-2017 at 06:38 PM.
powder4breakfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 06:58 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorider View Post
I thought it was a list of goodies on the wraith.

I'm pretty new to the hobby. I know very little about tires or brands of tires. I was just shocked that a 2.2 rig could not follow my 10.2 anywhere

traction means everything in crawling/trailing, if you cant get traction, it doesnt matter how great everything else is. I would do like the others have suggested, get better tires and foams.

I have the Pro-Line Hyrax's on my built wraith "626" and Pitbull RB II's on my 2.2 DMG "Thug" rig. They both are excellent tires and work well for my terrain. I do think the Hyrax's edge out the RB II's in a few areas and they are equal in others.

Either one of them will be so much better than the ripsaws are. I run CI DD foams in both of my 2.2 rigs..and they are great foams.
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 07:12 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

How about the rock beast 2 comp compound

Old 06-03-2017, 07:19 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by powder4breakfast View Post
There are actually plenty of useful upgrades/goodies in that list:

Beef tubes, Incision links and SSD Assassin wheels for low slung weight, VP universals, bushings and stage 1 kit for better turning, Wertymade forward mount battery tray for front weight bias and Incision spool/locker for reduced slop. If the Pro-Line shocks are set up right, they should work better than stock as well. Many of the the other items will improve durability for sure.

I have several of those same upgrades on my Bomber and they made a noticeable difference in how well it crawled. I have 2 SCX10 II's (one stock and one with several upgrades) and my upgraded Bomber absolutely crawls better. It can make angles and pull obstacles that "my" II's cannot. Although different vehicles(Bomber and Wraith) they have enough similarities compared to the SCX10 II that I would definitely think yours would crawl better.

Different tires with 2 stage foams should make a difference you will see.

I prefer my II's for trailing; but, my 2.2 rig is much better at straight crawling. Change the tires and foams and give it another go at a few things.

(edit to add) I'm not saying II's can't be built to crawl better or that 2.2's have any inherent advantage... just that your II has stock top heavy body, stock bumpers etc. I would think the upgrades on your Wraith would allow it to crawl as well, better or at least closer to the II... especially with some better shoes.
My 2 is a sleeper. Don't let it's looks fool you. Has brass knuckles. Ssd steel d holes. Brass patties. Metal axles. Can't remember the brand. My Hyraxes are awesome. Ssd stainless links. Lots of tuning on shocks and different shock spring combos. Ended back with stock shocks. My daughter's nor my brothers 10.2 can touch mine.

Old 06-04-2017, 11:21 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Very nice, sounds like our II's actually have a bunch of similar upgrades as well. I have the Hyrax's w/ CI 2 stage foams, same metal axles (xtra Speed ...I think), brass knuckles, SSD stainless links, SSD mounts, Incision wheels, Pro-Line shocks, etc.
powder4breakfast is offline   Reply With Quote