Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: SCX10 II Build List *Noob Alert*

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2016, 08:22 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default SCX10 II Build List *Noob Alert*

RCC,

I just got my first crawler and am having a lot of fun. It is an ECX Barrage. Long story short I bought it to expose my kids (and myself) to the RC truck world and crawling. Its a great truck and should last me a while but I want to build up something that looks scale. I have decided that for 2017 I want to build up an SCX10 II but want to get some opinions for all the different parts in one thread. I thought this would be useful for everyone (especially the noob that has zero to little RC crawler experience). So I am going to make a list based on what I found from Tower Hobbies for a basic kit completion. Essentially the minimum you would need to get the Kit to be RTR. What I would like to add to this list is optional parts that you the group would think would be a worthwhile addition.

For example TH recommends the RC4WD 540 Brushed 35T Motor for the kit. What would be another suitable option or maybe a brushless alternative? In the end I want to essentially make a shopping list of the parts I want to get and start piecing them out through the first half of the year. Then for the second half build.

So without further ado:
Axial 1/10 SCX10 II Jeep Kit

Motors
RC4WD 540 Brushed Motor
Holmes Hobbies Trailmaster Po Brushless 540 Thanks Malickie
AquaCraft 550 Brushed motor Thanks GLWagon
Tekin Brushed 35T Crawler Motor Another suggestion by Col_Sanders

ESC
Axial AE-5 Brushed Waterproof ESC
Castle Creations Mamba Max Thanks Malickie
Holmes Hobbie Trailmaster Brushed/Brushless ESC
HobbyWing Brushed ESC Thanks GLWagon
HobbyWing Brushless Waterproof
Program Card for Hobby Wing ESC
Hobby Wing WP-1080 Brushed ESC Col_Sanders sent this to me. I think this and the Tekin Motor are going to be my choice for my first build.

Servos
Tactic TSX55 Ulta-Torque MR Servo
Power HD LF-20MG 20KG Servo Thanks Wes S
Power HD WP-23Kg Waterproof Thanks Trigger Happy

(I know there are a lot of options here, please post them up and I will list them in this thread)

BEC
Castle Creations 10A BEC

Tx/Rx
Tactic 3-Channel TX/RX
Spectrum DX4C Tx/Rx
Spektrucm DX4S
(Another I know there are many options for from Spektrum, Futaba, to Flysky)

Required Others
TA Green Slime

Optional:
Team STRC Metal Hop-ups Thanks Jeepy84
Vanquish RC SCX10 Metal Hop-ups Thanks Malickie
Traxxas Big Bore Shocks (Found this from another thread. I guess leaking shocks on the kit are a problem and this is a solution, please chime in if you know something else)
Axial Beadlocks Black Thanks Shark Attack
Axial Beadlocks Silver
AlienTac Beadlocks Thanks GLWagon Look at post 11 for a few different Alientac options on Amazon

Here I would like to put a list of optional things you think would be necessary or just a good idea to get like metal ball heads or bead lockers.

Thanks for helping me out!

-M

Last edited by Pilot_MM; 12-31-2016 at 04:18 PM.
Pilot_MM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-2016, 08:26 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: SCX10 II Build List *Noob Alert*

PowerHD 20-25kg servo, $20, better than Tactic. Otherwise, that setup is good to start with.
Wes S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 09:00 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Not sure if that servo is waterproof. This one is.

POWER HD WP-23KG Waterproof Digital Servo 23kg/75g for Cars Airplanes US
triggerhapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 09:20 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Perfect this is off to a good start! Thanks so far for the input.

I plan on adding to the list as people post. I don't think I will get the most comprehensive list but if I have a few options of everything I would be happy

-M
Old 12-28-2016, 09:40 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Strc and hit racing now both have aluminum shock towers for the 10.2
Strc and SSD make metal axle parts, SSDs knuckles use a superior double sheer design.
But before all that however, plan on beadlocks and tires for your terrain once you get the essentials for running. The KOs are fun, but not the best tires for certain terrains.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Jeepy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 10:03 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Holmes Hobbies Motor/ESC are a very good option, of course depending on your budget. With HH brushless with this system I would probably do a 2700kv, and get either a Castle Mamba Max Pro or HH Trailmaster BLE Pro.

Other than electronics, Vanquish Parts are a good route to go with some parts, although on the expensive side but quality is typically top notch, also if you do go get Vanquish I would probably start with their Currie Axles, basically when you do that at that point you do not need to worry about getting C-Hubs, link mounts, or Rear Lockouts because that is all there on the axle. Wheels/Tires, I would suggest even if you do not immediately change the Tires you should at Least get a good set of Beadlock wheels because eventually you are going to want to swap to something else, and having beadlocks just helps being able to switch tires up.
malickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 05:40 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Thanks guys! I like the hop-ups list. Malickie and Jeepy84 do you have a preference for bead-lockers? Last night I looked at some RC4WD ones but where else could I find some.

I am working today so I probably won't add more to the list till tomorrow.

Thanks!
-M
Old 12-29-2016, 06:44 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot_MM View Post
Thanks guys! I like the hop-ups list. Malickie and Jeepy84 do you have a preference for bead-lockers? Last night I looked at some RC4WD ones but where else could I find some.

I am working today so I probably won't add more to the list till tomorrow.

Thanks!
-M
i love these, there inexpensive and work great they were however a little difficult to mount on the scx10 2s stock tires but i did manage to though. but still a great wheel for the price.

Axial AX8087 Black 8-Hole 1.9" Bead-Lock Wheels(2) 12mm Hex: 1/10 | eBay

also have them in silver (which im using on my build)

Axial 1.9 8 Hole Beadlocks - Satin Chrome (2pcs) AX8088 | eBay
sharkattack99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 08:24 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

With kids on a buget, it's hard to squeeze the most out of the dollar. I would build it stock and replace parts as they break for the moet part. I would however go with the axial beadlocks that shrkattack suggested. I would also go with the stock shocks and assemble them with Associated green slime to protect the seals. Mine still haven't leaked.
I would spend the extra on the holmes hobbies brushed BRXL and if you can swing it the HH trailmaster 13t motor. Can't go wrong. Stay as far away from a Tactic servo as possible. The waterproof Power HD suggested by Triggerhapy is great.
I recently bought th Futaba 3pv, I got it so the grandkids could use it on one of my old SCX10 crawlers. Nice radio for the money. I raised 3 boys while in many different rc hobbies. Shop wisely and you will have a better time. Only some Grandpa advice. Lol

Last edited by luckster; 12-29-2016 at 08:27 AM.
luckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 11:09 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Depends on what type of beadlocks your looking for, budget wise yes Axials work fine. RC4WD Beadlocks are kinda hit or miss on tire fitment, still have yet to be able to get them on my Kit Tires although I haven't had issues mounting them to any of my other tires, so my guess as to why I am having issues fitting to stock tires is probably because stock foams are so stiff. If your budget is decent from what I have heard Locked Up RC Beadlocks are good, you get customization, basically get to choose your wheels, Rings, and even the screws you want to use.

Oh by the way, castle came out with a Waterproof version of their Castle BEC, A little more expensive but waterproof out the box so no worries about warranty if you need to take it in. It's called Castle Creations BEC 2.0, think there are two of them, one 15A and the other 14A and not Waterproof.
Old 12-29-2016, 11:24 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

-Rims, for a few dollars more you can go to aluminum bead-locks.

https://www.amazon.com/Scale-RC-Craw...eadlock+wheels

https://www.amazon.com/ALIENTAC-Blac...5%3A2470955011

https://www.amazon.com/ALIENTAC-Blac...5%3A2470955011

-ESC's, I have had great success with the HobbyWing Quicrun line,

Brushed 1060 $21 - https://www.amazon.com/HobbyWing-HWI...1060+hobbywing

Brushless (non-sensored) 10BL60 - $44 https://www.amazon.com/Hobbywing-QUI...5%3A2470955011

Programing Card for 10BL60 #30501003 - $12 http://www.ebay.com/itm/HWA30501003-...8AAOSwknJX1R6u

-Motors

Finding a nice creeping 4pole or 6pole sensor-less motor depends on how many cells you plan on running.

For brushed I really like The AquaCraft 550, has internal fan $13; However, it needs to have a flat spot cut into the shaft. It was rock solid on a 2S LiPo, (then I went brushless) http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXMMZ3&P=7

Last edited by GLwagon; 12-29-2016 at 11:50 AM.
GLwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 11:43 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

I have run the axial beadlocks for some time now with no problems. I also run the ssd steel d hole wheels. Those things are great for the price.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Motorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 04:56 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Big Bore Shocks will work but from what I have read you need to get a set of Mini Losi Springs (Don't recall Spring Rate Though) to make them work good, I have been looking into Gmade's New RSD Shocks. They look to be promising, there is another thread floating around here with some people who have recently bought them but have yet to get them running so I suppose just keep a watch on that thread. Honestly there are a lot of options for shocks that should work better than the stock kit shocks.

The Castle Mamba Max Pro will do Brushed/Brushless like the HH one.

Also STRC is Decent but if SSD has the same option as the part you are looking at on STRC from what I have read it would be better to go with the SSD Option.
Old 12-29-2016, 07:58 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

This thread is really getting some traction now, thanks for you help guys!

Luckster my plan is piece out the parts that I want over the year. I know with airplanes if you buy smart and right the first time you have less problems. Your right though, with kids I have to purchase smart and make sure mama bear doesn't see all of the receipts.

I think I just need to decided on a power system and in January I will start making my first purchases. I like the low end torque of a brushed motor and feel like with the brushed motor on the Barrage and low rates on the throttle I can drive it without looking like a complete noob. I also know that Brushless motors are better in the long run since they "don't wear out" (I say that lightly because we know they do but not like brushed) and are generally waterproof. That will be a topic for another post though.

So far I am sure I will get the Power HD waterproof Servo and the Axial Beadlocks... LOL

Keep the options coming and I will keep adding to the list.
-M

Last edited by Pilot_MM; 12-29-2016 at 08:23 PM.
Old 01-10-2017, 12:21 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Black 1.9" Alloy Beadlock Wheel Rim Set for 1/10 RC Crawlers, SCX10 RC4WD - 4PCS | eBay
Old 01-10-2017, 02:59 AM   #16

i like this one
perfect

D Hole 1.9" Steel Beadlock Crawler Wheels
lido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 01:25 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

I have to admit, those do look better. But then you'll have to have that pesky 2mm socket handy. I.d still rather have aluminum though.

Last edited by triggerhapy; 01-10-2017 at 06:10 PM.

SCX10 II Build List *Noob Alert* - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Noob Alert! Big N8s Big Yeti Newbie General 5 08-22-2015 04:07 PM
Noob alert Philo Bedo Newbie General 5 12-15-2013 04:49 PM
NOOB *ALERT* from WV Wacki Newbie General 5 11-17-2013 05:16 PM
Noob alert: discharge/charging rates simon170 Electronics 9 12-30-2011 08:18 PM
super noob alert, need input please. #1_gun Newbie General 8 11-20-2010 06:51 PM