Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: Thurlo's scx2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2016, 06:49 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Thurlo's scx2

Hello all,

I had an addition to my crawler family recently and it is starting to look presentable! I assembled to kit, I think there are plenty of threads posting pictures of that sooo we will skip to post build. First thing that had to go were the land anchors in front and rear. I fooled around with a few ideas and these are what I decided to go with.

Next was the paint and body work. I saw a Jeep online a few months ago that stood out from many that I have seen. The design was easy enough and I thought it looked pretty clean.

Came out looking like this

Not too bad I think. I saw a thread recently where the builder painted the grill silver and it really set his rig apart from the rest soooo....

On my two other rigs (C1 and C3) I have full interiors. This was a must. I was going to attempt to make one myself but my styrene skills are lacking. Ended up with a dinky full universal interior. To achieve the dropped interior look something had to be done about the spur gear cover. I didnt really want to cut a hole in the rear floor. I had seen a few people flip their transmissions around which gave more than enough room for an interior. I run 2200 3s packs so I didnt need the whole battery tray anyway. It was fairly simple to flip everything around. I used an old plastic cross member of some kind to make a front support taking notes off of the 3D printed tranny support I have seen recently. Turned out pretty nice.

Its been fun so far. Still on my to do list is rear light buckets, full roll cage, detail interior, and install a rear winch. There needs to be a little more weight in the rear end so I will end up just fabbing up a real heavy duty servo mount right between the shock towers.

Let me know what you all think! Sorry for the poor picture quality.
thurlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-2016, 09:29 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Thurlo's scx2

I like it! You're the first one I've seen to do the rear top chop with the Axial body. Since it is a comp rig, and bound to take abuse, I suggest reinforce it, especially along the edges. I don't know why Axial's lexan is so thin compared to others. I put Gorilla tape on the inside behind the flares, under the hatch, etc. If you do along the roof, it'll look like headliner perhaps.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Jeepy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 09:46 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

i keep hearing mixed reviews on the 2 speed conversion, do u have any excessive noise from the gears at all? do u think its worth it?
FordFixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 10:43 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I really like the two speed! Plenty of high end speed paired with the low end crawling. I had a 27t in it but it was just too fast for a crawler and this tranny. 35t on 3s seems to be the sweet spot for it. My original scx10 has the rc4wd 2 speed and that seems to do great with the 27t on 3s. As far as noise goes, with enough lube anything can get quiet in a hurry. No problems there. I dont know if it was worth the $55 for the gears... I mean its a shaft and three gears.... but it sure is fun!

The lexan body is surprisingly stout even with the rear portion removed. The body is literally resting on both front and rear bumper along with on the sliders. When I put the roll cage in it should stiffen things up quite a bit. Any other areas that start cracking or seem weak have been shoe glued. Probably going to run a bead on top of the cage to give a little more cushion. I actually plan on putting a piece of styrene on the top of the cab to bolt the roof rack to that will hopefully look like a headliner
Old 12-15-2016, 10:05 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurlo View Post
I really like the two speed! Plenty of high end speed paired with the low end crawling. I had a 27t in it but it was just too fast for a crawler and this tranny. 35t on 3s seems to be the sweet spot for it. My original scx10 has the rc4wd 2 speed and that seems to do great with the 27t on 3s. As far as noise goes, with enough lube anything can get quiet in a hurry. No problems there. I dont know if it was worth the $55 for the gears... I mean its a shaft and three gears.... but it sure is fun!

The lexan body is surprisingly stout even with the rear portion removed. The body is literally resting on both front and rear bumper along with on the sliders. When I put the roll cage in it should stiffen things up quite a bit. Any other areas that start cracking or seem weak have been shoe glued. Probably going to run a bead on top of the cage to give a little more cushion. I actually plan on putting a piece of styrene on the top of the cab to bolt the roof rack to that will hopefully look like a headliner
Mine was not stout, haha. The flares are splitting off at the fold, and I have an inch long tear in the bottom of the rear hatch.

Old 12-15-2016, 11:20 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Well thanks for letting me know! I havn't had a chance to take it out on the rocks yet. Guess I should take care of that before it starts.

A bit of an update. I made my last order to rpp. (for now) I have a whole bunch of goodies coming! Currently looking for a worthy driver though none of the toy shops seem to have anything Im looking for. Hopefully this next week I will get some more pictures up on a different way to mount the body!
Old 12-15-2016, 11:24 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Got some carpet down today!
Old 12-16-2016, 06:38 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

That Dinky interior it really going to play the part nicely. The rear wheel wells will actually be pretty close to their 1:1 proportion. Unlike mine which are massive, lol. But with good reason (4ws).

Old 12-17-2016, 11:53 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Got some more work done on the interior. I think I am going to do velcro around the tub so I can take it in and out when I need. Still waiting on my micro servo to do the steering wheel. After visiting the local toy shop I still have not found a worthy driver.... Anybody have any nice scale drivers sitting around? Heres what we have so far....

To mount the body I used a flat plat in front bolted into the body posts (that were ground flat) with velcro. In the rear I did something a little different. I want to say I have seen this somewhere before on here but couldnt remember where. I got out the dremel and cut a small line on each side of the bumper on the inside. I took a flat plate and bent two small tabs to go inside of the small slits.

It seems pretty concrete. I suppose with enough shoe goo, anything is. Next on the to do list is a roll cage. Ive decided to save on some weight and give nylon rod a try. Still waiting on my rpp order....

Oh yea, sorry about the poor picture quality! Cant upgrade till spring!
Old 12-28-2016, 12:35 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

This holiday season is panning out to be pretty great! Despite being busy with the family, I managed to get some more done on my scx2. I got my order from rpp with some ssd chubs and knuckles, found some christmas sales and grabbed a few drivers, got the first version of my cage completed, and some interior detailing done.

Heres what I have so far

I had to do away with those red diff covers, ten minutes and some paint took care of it for now! And I also ordered a pair of extra speed aluminum axle housings that should be arriving in the next couple of weeks, interested in how they will perform.

I really like the SSD chubs and knucks! They are as beautiful as I had anticipated and as strong as ever. I thought about ordering the SSD knuckle weights but couldnt justify paying. I ended up finding a few washers that fit perfectly, drilled a few holes and now I have "disk brakes".

So far this rig has really impressed me. I dont have a comp until January 18th so I still have some time to learn how to drive it.

Still much to do, let me know what you all think!

Thurlo's scx2 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
~TSS~ SCX2 (SCXHR, Blazer, SSD) STANG KILLA SS Axial SCX10 II 12 04-13-2018 11:20 AM
Scx2 shock towers racer Axial SCX-10 2 10-17-2016 08:03 AM