Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: K5 shocks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2018, 08:31 PM   #1

Default K5 shocks

I asked this in the newbie section but haven't gotten an answer. First off I'm completely new to the crawler scene, I come from a basher background where faster higher and more stupid insane is the norm so I'm used to making things capable of doing big air flat landings. I purchased the new k5 blazer for two reasons, one I grew up in a 72 k5 blazer and ended up buying it from my dad in my 20s, I absolutely love this era truck, two all the guys I go bashing with started to get into crawlers pretty heavy (it just so happens they work at my lhs so they were able to lend me shop crawlers to try it out) and after going with them I had a blast. Now the shock questions. After recommendations and research I slide the rear shocks forward, switched the springs front to rear and refilled the shocks with oil. I was thinking of drilling a small hole in the cap to make them vented, is this advisable? Next, I almost purchased the proline shocks but at 60 bucks a pair it seemed like a big price tag for a small shock, are they worth it? My upgrades so far are...
1. Incision links by vanquish
2. Bead lock aluminum wheels (so many screws!)
3. Brass hubs
4. SSD hex adapters
5. Tekin fxr and hand wound 30t motor
I think that covers it, I never drove it stock. As soon as I bought it I asked the guys what I needed to keep up with there rigs (they all have some pretty impressive rigs), went home and started to install the upgrades. The truck did really well, keeping up with or out crawling all the rigs present on her maiden voyage. Thank you for reading my novel, there's so much knowledge here I look forward to learning!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
FnFancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-2018, 08:35 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: K5 shocks

Love those pitbull xors nice choice!

Sent from my LG-M703 using Tapatalk
jokersinsanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 09:17 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

From what ive heard and read the TRX-4 shocks are pretty good and dont leak. I've bought a couple sets for future builds and theyre cheaper than Prolines.
BACK40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 10:01 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I have 1 Axial and 2 TRX4s. The Axial shocks leaked like crazy sitting on the bench and replaced them Gmade shocks. The TRX shocks have not leaked and are very smooth. I would actually recommend the TRX shocks over the Gmade. Plus with the TRX rebuild kits will be cheaper and easier to find. Just my 2 cents
carpetfuzz17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 11:16 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I would go with the TRX4 shocks, you can find them on eBay for sub $50 for a set of four. Ive run a few packs through them and they are still dry.
Techno Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 06:10 AM   #6

Thank you for the responses, it seems the trx4 shocks have a strong recommendation! I'll look into them this weekend.

Old 07-20-2018, 08:23 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by FnFancy View Post
Thank you for the responses, it seems the trx4 shocks have a strong recommendation! I'll look into them this weekend.

I agree. The best “budget” shock I have found. I swapped the tray as springs out with the axial springs and went with 35w shock oil. They feel really smooth and don’t ever leak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jason02ws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 10:20 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:

Plus you have the option of using different rates of springs. I know the Axial dual stage springs fit the TRX shocks. Which gives you that extra tuning ability.
carpetfuzz17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 02:30 AM   #9

You get that k5 at rc street shop in Long Beach ca
Katastrafee rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 09:52 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katastrafee rc View Post
You get that k5 at rc street shop in Long Beach ca
I did, it's my favorite LHS. They are good to me, maybe because of how much money I spend, haha.

Old 07-24-2018, 04:38 PM   #11

Yeah I bought a k5 from there right after you did and they showed me pics of you guys rolls around at the beach. They said your rig has pretty much the vitals of having a good crawler. And didn’t really need much more.
Katastrafee rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 08:11 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I asked this in the newbie section but haven't gotten an answer. First off I'm completely new to the crawler scene, I come from a basher background
Welcome, Ive gotten help from you on the Traxxas forums in the past. An interesting idea that you might be able to take advantage of is using the Emaxx big bore shocks. I use them in my SCX10.2, and they work wonderfully.
Rekreant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 10:23 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katastrafee rc View Post
Yeah I bought a k5 from there right after you did and they showed me pics of you guys rolls around at the beach. They said your rig has pretty much the vitals of having a good crawler. And didn’t really need much more.
Right on! They are a good group of fellow addicts, actually just got back from a bash session with them tonight. Although I never ran the k5 stock, from what I've read the 10.2 is a solid rig. I just knew I had to be able to keep up with them so I bought the brass knuckles, vanquish links, wheels and tires the same day I purchased mine. I really enjoy it, it's nice not breaking things every outing. Just tonight I blew up the center diff in my tekno mt410 and snaped a stub axle on my rustler. The Revo 2.0 was the only one to run out the batteries with out issue. We should go crawling some time!

Old 07-24-2018, 10:24 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekreant View Post
Welcome, Ive gotten help from you on the Traxxas forums in the past. An interesting idea that you might be able to take advantage of is using the Emaxx big bore shocks. I use them in my SCX10.2, and they work wonderfully.
Awesome! Nice to see a familiar face, I hope I gave you solid advice in the Traxxas forums. I have a ton of the ultra shocks, would that be an upgrade?

Old 07-25-2018, 10:44 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Dont drill a hole in your shocks to vent them. They will fill up with dust and dirt.

The Pro-Line shocks are not worth the $$. I've had 2 sets and most of them leak, despite being Green Slimed and everything before installing them. Many people have installed X-rings instead of normal o-rings and have got them to not leak but I have not done that yet. The new Pro Spec Scaler shocks only use a single X-ring for the seal and there are already reports of them leaking. I have a new set sitting here and I'm not sure I'm going to use them.

TRX-4 shocks are good for the $$. Big Bores are also popular. D-Lux Fab sells some modified Big Bores (Drav Tech) that are excellent. Those are the best IMO and they run ~$74 for the set. Just know this so you dont waste money....RC4WD and Axial shocks suck.
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 05:17 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techno Duck View Post
I would go with the TRX4 shocks, you can find them on eBay for sub $50 for a set of four. Ive run a few packs through them and they are still dry.

Thanks a lot for that hint! I just bought a set of 4 for 48 $ in the JCR ebay store for my SCX2
Amazing. Thats half the price for new shocks and they already have proven them self on my trx4.
GrimmTheTourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 09:31 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

I am slowly turning into a TRX-4 shock junkie... I have always and still do run shorter big bores or variants of the BB. A little while back Jato turned me in the TRX-4 shock. After giving them a chance they have proven to be a very very nice shock. Don't leak, tons of spring rates, good ebay price.....You will love them.
Bananaclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 10:31 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col_Sanders View Post
Dont drill a hole in your shocks to vent them. They will fill up with dust and dirt.

The Pro-Line shocks are not worth the $$. I've had 2 sets and most of them leak, despite being Green Slimed and everything before installing them. Many people have installed X-rings instead of normal o-rings and have got them to not leak but I have not done that yet. The new Pro Spec Scaler shocks only use a single X-ring for the seal and there are already reports of them leaking. I have a new set sitting here and I'm not sure I'm going to use them.

TRX-4 shocks are good for the $$. Big Bores are also popular. D-Lux Fab sells some modified Big Bores (Drav Tech) that are excellent. Those are the best IMO and they run ~$74 for the set. Just know this so you dont waste money....RC4WD and Axial shocks suck.
I can't remember the guy's name on YT, but on his Axial 10.2, he put a little bladder in the top of the shocks and put a small hole (thumbtack, I believe) in the shock cap. Really seemed to smooth his shocks out.

I was going to try this, but I wound up switching out to ~85mm length big bores on a recommendation from LSXGMC, and I'm pretty happy with them.
Ironhide13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 11:09 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhide13 View Post
I can't remember the guy's name on YT, but on his Axial 10.2, he put a little bladder in the top of the shocks and put a small hole (thumbtack, I believe) in the shock cap. Really seemed to smooth his shocks out.

I was going to try this, but I wound up switching out to ~85mm length big bores on a recommendation from LSXGMC, and I'm pretty happy with them.
Can't go wrong with a Big Bore brother. Nice truck btw
Bananaclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 11:43 AM   #20
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhide13 View Post

I also seen that on YT but I wonder how he prevents dirt from entering the shock trough that hole...
mcbartho is offline   Reply With Quote