Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 III

Notices

Thread: SCX III JLU Spektrum/Hobbwing KV

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2023, 06:23 PM   #1

Default SCX III JLU Spektrum/Hobbwing KV

Contemplating on an Axial SCX JLU. And want to upgrade the motor/ESC to a 2 in 1 right away. Any thoughts here: 1800/2300? Specktrum vs HW? I like trail riding. Want to walk behind the rig as well as do some rock crawling.
keltron89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2023, 06:33 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: SCX III JLU Spektrum/Hobbwing KV

Do you like, or see yourself using the dig function? If not, I'd recommend the lower KV motor and converting the transmission to 2 speed.

I still run the stock 35t brushed motor with stock (14t) pinion gear. In 2nd gear at top speed on 3S I'd have to run, not jog to keep up with it. In 1st gear at top speed it's just slower than my natural walking pace.

2nd gear would give you the room to keep the rig ahead of you, or right there next to you. Then when it's time to crawl, 1st gear comes in handy.

You can keep dig and the 2 speed together, but you'd need a second servo and possibly another channel on your radio.
Fallen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 07:04 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by keltron89 View Post
Contemplating on an Axial SCX JLU. And want to upgrade the motor/ESC to a 2 in 1 right away. Any thoughts here: 1800/2300? Specktrum vs HW? I like trail riding. Want to walk behind the rig as well as do some rock crawling.
The Spektrum and Hobbywing 2-in-1s are largely the same, if not exactly the same. Both are good.

Go for 2300 kV, and use the two-speed option. You can always gear down the pinion or spur or both down the road.
casco_bay_rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 07:06 PM   #4

No real need for dig for my trail riding. How do I convert the trans to 2 speed? I thought that if I went to a 2 in 1 brushless, I would have creep to fast at the pull of the trigger on my tx. No need of converting anything.
Old 01-14-2023, 07:10 PM   #5

I have read 2300kv is good for what I want. One thing I as curious about was. how reliable Spektrum/HW is over the other. And please explain the 2-speed option, what do I have to do to the rig?
Old 01-14-2023, 07:12 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
No real need for dig for my trail riding. How do I convert the trans to 2 speed? I thought that if I went to a 2 in 1 brushless, I would have creep to fast at the pull of the trigger on my tx. No need of converting anything.
The RTR comes with the option for two-speed. All you need is to remove a spacer and hook up a micro servo. You could use the supplied one for dig and lockout that function.

You will appreciate the two-speed function. Speed for trail hiking/running then slows it down for the crawls. It's worth the effort and a great feature of the RTR.
Old 01-14-2023, 07:17 PM   #7

Ok let me see if I understand. If I run the rig out of the box, the trans is one speed, and I would assume a slow speed. And converting to 2 speeds obviously lets me have low for crawling and 2nd for faster speed running around the woods?

I just watched a video on this. I think the one speed is fine especially if I go brushless. Brushless in 2nd would scream.

I know the electronics are all Spektrum and I was just going to leave it all Spektrum by buying the Spektrum 2 in 1.

Last edited by keltron89; 01-14-2023 at 07:22 PM.
Old 01-14-2023, 07:25 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Ok let me see if I understand. If I run the rig out of the box, the trans is one speed, and I would assume a slow speed. And converting to 2 speeds obviously lets me have low for crawling and 2nd for faster speed running around the woods?

I just watched a video on this. I think the one speed is fine especially if I go brushless. Brushless in 2nd would scream.

I know the electronics are all Spektrum and I was just going to leave it all Spektrum by buying the Spektrum 2 in 1.
You always have the option to convert to two-speed in the future if/when you need it.

I use Spektrum 2-in-1s all the time with success. I believe they are made by Hobbywing.

I've only had Spektrum servos die on me.
Old 01-14-2023, 07:30 PM   #9

Understand I hear issues with Spektrum to. I know the Spektrum program card is like 2 times the cost of a HW. I hear that HW/Spectrum are the same just rebranded. But there has to be some difference between the two.
I am contemplating on the Spektrum 2300KV running the rig set up as is outa the box.
Old 01-14-2023, 07:33 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Understand I hear issues with Spektrum to. I know the Spektrum program card is like 2 times the cost of a HW. I hear that HW/Spectrum are the same just rebranded. But there has to be some difference between the two.
I am contemplating on the Spektrum 2300KV running the rig set up as is outa the box.
Enjoy and post pics!
Old 01-14-2023, 07:36 PM   #11

Have not made up my mind yet. Still like to hear what others have to say. But, yes, I will post pics of my conversion.
Old 01-14-2023, 09:30 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

It looks like the Hobbywing system would be nice enough to give you the spread that a 2 speed transmission would also give you, maybe even more.

And the 2 speed conversion is rather complex. All of the parts are already included, but you have to tear down the entire transmission, dig section and 2 speed section in order to just rebuild them with some parts re-arranged.

If you go with the Hobbywing system, you'll also need a different receiver / transmitter, as the stock ESC includes the RX in it.
Fallen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 09:46 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

There's really no point in activating the two speed in the 10.3 box. The ratios are close enough that I often can't tell what gear the rig is in, and have cleared plenty of obstacles in "high" gear.
The problem is that the high gear isn't high enough and low isn't low enough-- it's FDR is around 45:1 in low and 31:1 in high. Compare that to a TRX-4 two speed, which has an FDR like 65:1 in low and 26:1 in high.

Regardless, the HW Fusion Pro is the best option. The only reason to go for the Spektrum is if you're already in their ecosystem and have the program card, and batteries, chargers, etc. that use the Smart stuff. I do not, so it's HW all the way.
DrIsotope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 08:35 AM   #14

All great info you guys are giving me. Forums are the best so much help here

I have Specktrum chager. Smart batteries, radios and a Spectrum lipo tester. So, I am Spektrum involved

SCX III JLU Spektrum/Hobbwing KV - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Soze's SCX10 III Jeep JLU Build soze Axial SCX10 III 29 11-04-2021 06:20 AM
Axial SCX10 III Jeep JLU - Trail Run - 1/24/2021 soze Scale Videos! 0 08-19-2021 09:59 PM
Axial SCX10 III Rubicon JLU Waterfall Trail Run 11/29/20 B-MOW71 Scale Videos! 0 12-06-2020 07:11 AM
Axial SCX10 III Rubicon JLU Trail Run 9/26/2020 B-MOW71 Scale Videos! 0 10-04-2020 08:23 AM