Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Motor to hot to handle.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2011, 05:44 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Motor to hot to handle.

Running the stock gearing. Wanted to pick up a little more speed so I got 17t brushed motor. Using a 6 cell 4500 pack, yes non lipo. I still keep it old school I guess. All my other vehicles use stick packs so I'm in no hurry to switch to lipo's. Anyways, after I took out the 20T and put in the 17T esc run cool battery doesn't get hot but the motor gets hotter than Hell. Any ideas. Speed of the vehicle is right where I want it now with the 17T.
mwscooters is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2011, 05:51 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

asking a 17t brushed motor to turn 5.5in tires while pusing that much wight with the stock 20/87 gearing is asking a lot, even a 20t
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 05:57 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500hdon37s View Post
asking a 17t brushed motor to turn 5.5in tires while pusing that much wight with the stock 20/87 gearing is asking a lot, even a 20t
So, I'm Sol on using the 17T motor? If I change the gearing then I loose what I wanted to gain. Going back to stock seems like the best option maybe. Took the 17T motor out and it has that burnt electrcal smell, but it still runs. Did I cook the motor?

Last edited by mwscooters; 06-25-2011 at 06:07 PM.
Old 06-25-2011, 06:38 PM   #4
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwscooters View Post
So, I'm Sol on using the 17T motor? If I change the gearing then I loose what I wanted to gain. Going back to stock seems like the best option maybe. Took the 17T motor out and it has that burnt electrcal smell, but it still runs. Did I cook the motor?
A VERY wise man (JohnRobHolmes) told me once........ Gear down/volt up.

You could run a 25t-35t in your truck with a lower gear and more voltage.....and get more speed and more bottom end power. That'll let the motor stay cooler and work more efficiently and in turn last longer.

Running low voltage, your doomed to either running slow motors that provide the power to turn big tire and push a heavy truck, or running faster motors geared stupid low to get the gear ratio for them to pull said tires and truck.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 06:51 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflection View Post
A VERY wise man (JohnRobHolmes) told me once........ Gear down/volt up.

You could run a 25t-35t in your truck with a lower gear and more voltage.....and get more speed and more bottom end power. That'll let the motor stay cooler and work more efficiently and in turn last longer.

Running low voltage, your doomed to either running slow motors that provide the power to turn big tire and push a heavy truck, or running faster motors geared stupid low to get the gear ratio for them to pull said tires and truck.
Looks like this might be the vehicle that makes me go Lipo. So if I go 2s lipo and run the stock motor and gears, I should have more power and speed?
Old 06-25-2011, 06:53 PM   #6
TEAM MODERATOR

Here's a few examples.....

On average, a 17t spins at 3750 rpm's per volt.

At 7.2 volts, that's 27,000 rpm's.
At 11 volts (3 cell lipo), that's 41,250 rpm's

On average, a 20t spins at 3216 rpm's per volt.

At 7.2 volts, that's 23,155 rpm's
At 11 volts (3 cell lipo), that's 35,376 rpm's

On average, a 25t spins at 2588 rpm's per volt.

At 7.2 volts, that's 18,633 rpm's
At 11 volts (3 cell lipo), that's 28,468 rpm's

On average, a 35t spins at 1565 rpm's per volt.

At 7.2 volts, that's 11,268 rpm's
At 11 volts (3 cell lipo), that's 17,215 rpm's

PLUS, your battery will be at least half the weight , so said truck will be lighter and performance will go up as well.
Old 06-25-2011, 06:58 PM   #7
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Looks like this might be the vehicle that makes me go Lipo. So if I go 2s lipo and run the stock motor and gears, I should have more power and speed?

2S isn't enough voltage bump to make the difference. NiMH 6 cell stick packs are 7.2volts. 2 cell lipo's are 7.4 volts.

IMHO, 3 cell lipo's (11 volts) are bare minimum voltage in a crawler of any kind. The higher voltage is needed to get the bottom end power and speed out of a slower motor.
Old 06-25-2011, 07:03 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
2S isn't enough voltage bump to make the difference. NiMH 6 cell stick packs are 7.2volts. 2 cell lipo's are 7.4 volts.

IMHO, 3 cell lipo's (11 volts) are bare minimum voltage in a crawler of any kind. The higher voltage is needed to get the bottom end power and speed out of a slower motor.
Awesome info, can the stock esc handle a 3cell lipo? Looks like it will with an external BEC. Never used one of those before. Looks like I'll be learning a whole lot in the next few days.

Last edited by mwscooters; 06-25-2011 at 07:08 PM.
Old 06-25-2011, 07:19 PM   #9
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Awesome info, can the stock esc handle a 3cell lipo?
I'm not sure. Haven't read up on it much. I'm sure the instruction booklet has the info.

If you'd like to upgrade, IMHO, the best beefcake ESC for any scaler/crawler/basher is the Holmes Hobbies TorqueMaster BR-XL

Unlike others, this ESC won't require an external BEC at higher voltage, which you'll need if you want the servo's to have peak performance as well.

It'll also handle up to 6s lipo's if you wanna go crazy with voltage.

All that, along with all the easy adjustments and tuning you can do with this ESC, it really is the cats pajamas of all ESC's.
Old 06-25-2011, 07:25 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I'm not sure. Haven't read up on it much. I'm sure the instruction booklet has the info.

If you'd like to upgrade, IMHO, the best beefcake ESC for any scaler/crawler/basher is the Holmes Hobbies TorqueMaster BR-XL

Unlike others, this ESC won't require an external BEC at higher voltage, which you'll need if you want the servo's to have peak performance as well.

It'll also handle up to 6s lipo's if you wanna go crazy with voltage.

All that, along with all the easy adjustments and tuning you can do with this ESC, it really is the cats pajamas of all ESC's.
Any thoughts on a good cheap charger, I will need one of those also.
Old 06-25-2011, 07:28 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

So i have a 45t laying around. If I go 3s and 26 pinion will it be super slow?
RCram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 07:35 PM   #12
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Any thoughts on a good cheap charger, I will need one of those also.
These are the 2 chargers I use..... IMHO, they are some of the best out right now. Super easy to use and very versatile.

Hyperion EOS0606I AC/DC Charger

Hyperion EOS0606I DC Charger

I've never used this one, but for anything running 2s to 4s lipo's, I'd say this would be a great charger for a very good price.

Hyperion 0403i Charger
Old 06-25-2011, 07:44 PM   #13
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCram View Post
So i have a 45t laying around. If I go 3s and 26 pinion will it be super slow?

A 45t spins at 1210 rpm's per volt.

At 7.2 volts, that's 8,712 rpm's.
At 11 volts (3 cell lipo), that's 13,310 rpm's

These are just motor RPM's alone.

A 45t will let you gear up a little more than a 20t, 25t or 35t without running hot. Like all the other Axial kits and RTR's I've seen, the booklet they come with has a chart in the back that shows what different gearing options will do to final drive ratio's. Best advise, is to buy a few different pinion sizes and test it out Vehicle weight and driving style will play a huge part in what gearing/motor and voltage works best for anyone.
Old 06-25-2011, 09:11 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Awesome info, can the stock esc handle a 3cell lipo? Looks like it will with an external BEC. Never used one of those before. Looks like I'll be learning a whole lot in the next few days.

RBGerrish ran a 4s pack without issues in his Wraith on the stock ESC, other than the stock motor smoked.
toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 10:25 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyofast View Post
RBGerrish ran a 4s pack without issues in his Wraith on the stock ESC, other than the stock motor smoked.

crazy81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 11:11 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyofast View Post
so who wants to put a 6s lipo pack in it.

i have also ran 3s lipo's on a couple of these esc's and they worked fine, they get a little warm but they work.
kyle_l is offline   Reply With Quote