Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: My love affair with Wraith

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2011, 01:15 AM   #1

Angry My love affair with Wraith

It is a bit rocky so far, she is a dirty bitch. Sorry to be hating on my first post. Within 5 mins i broke a lower link, ok mabey stupidity. Broke a tie rod (plastic, really?) in the next ten mins.after fixing. Upgraded/made links to replace shit parts and almost happy. WTF were they thinking when they designed these things? Don't get me started on tires. FWIW, dont buy the RTR. I might be asking too much of them but, I beat the crap outta my Stampede for days before I broke anything on it (that was a stupid skate park adventure and totally my fault, cost, $5). And then there are the the baboons that built these things, stripped screws, sticky shocks, leaky shocks, bla,bla bla......Moral of my story, if you have a hint of mech. knowledge buy the kit and build it yourself. Better parts and you can put a decent electronics package together. You're gonna have to anyways. Axial if your listening, make something that will hold together for more than 10 mins. if you want to call it a RTR. I'm sure that most people would pay a bit more for a half assed attempt at a true out of the box trail machine like you advertise. I really wish Traxxas made a rock climber, or someone of their quality.

Last edited by rocketron; 10-16-2011 at 01:30 AM.
rocketron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2011, 02:29 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

yes there are weak links in the wraith (drive shafts, plastic links, and the plastic tranny gears) once those are upgraded the rig is basicly bullet proof.

I felt the same way at first with my wraith as I broke something every run before I would even get a full 2100mah 3s lipo through it, now that I have upgraded those parts its a blast to drive and is a tank that takes hits and keeps goin! but IMO you cant expect plastic drive shafts and suspension links to hold up to rock crawling/racing/ bashing abuse. nor can you expect a great tire on an rtr rock crawling kit.

as well the motor and radio left a lot to be desired for me I still run the stock steering servo and would be running the stock esc if i didnt want a HH waterproof BR-XL esc in it.
my shocks have a very very minor leak, I've never opened them and they still have lots of oil in them and dampen well.
IMO you're making a bigger deal out of the few down sides of the rig than its worth, in the crawling hobby be ready to upgrade.
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 08:07 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Its not a love affair til you sleep with another wraith.
DRCrawlGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 08:23 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Hmm.. You only used stock 7,4 v? I couldn't kill it for the world with the anemic 20t brushed that comes with it.
I am specialized in wrecking stuff, yet, after fixing some niggles like sloppy assembled dampers and pistons with half a sprue left onthem, and replacing the lower links with home-brewn alu ones, it keeps on chugging even with a 10.5t stock-spec, doing crazy stuff like climbing stairs, and impressive endo's.

I understand the anger with the assembly, but RTR is mostly assembled in chinese sweat-shops, by people that do not give a toss about RC. Make ita habit of checki g everything. "RTR" is a misnomer, yes, mostly it'l run, but for true performance and durability one ALWAYS has to check EVERYTHING.

MY Slash ate it's spur on the first run, because I failed to check the gears. On the second run, I wrecked the rear-uprights, simply by slipping and hitting a curb at fairly low speed, didn't make a fuss about that.. So, stuff like that isn't limited to the Wraith. Part of the game kid..
Jay-Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 08:25 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500hdon37s View Post
yes there are weak links in the wraith (drive shafts, plastic links, and the plastic tranny gears) once those are upgraded the rig is basicly bullet proof.

I felt the same way at first with my wraith as I broke something every run before I would even get a full 2100mah 3s lipo through it, now that I have upgraded those parts its a blast to drive and is a tank that takes hits and keeps goin! but IMO you cant expect plastic drive shafts and suspension links to hold up to rock crawling/racing/ bashing abuse. nor can you expect a great tire on an rtr rock crawling kit.

as well the motor and radio left a lot to be desired for me I still run the stock steering servo and would be running the stock esc if i didnt want a HH waterproof BR-XL esc in it.
my shocks have a very very minor leak, I've never opened them and they still have lots of oil in them and dampen well.
IMO you're making a bigger deal out of the few down sides of the rig than its worth, in the crawling hobby be ready to upgrade.

I dont think hes making a big deal out of it, For the price of the RTR or the KIT you expect quality. In years of RCing I havent ran accross a problem like this from a RTR or Kit. Honestly I reall have seen better quality RTR's from LOWER GRADE companies...(redcat,venom,duratrax) I mean seriously, You spend hunders of thousands of dollars to advertise a product that cant handle STOCK equipment!!! My SCX10 IS BONE STOCK with 17.5 Novak brushless system and HAVENT broken a thing.... yet. I know its bound to happen but Iv had it well over a year now and This guy cant get 10MINS Off on his $370 Truck. Venom stepped it up and addressed the problems with their Crawler. I hope AXIAL Steps up and dose something about these problems in the Up coming production line. Seriously I dont want to have to spend $360 For a RTR (MINUS A BATTERY...RTR?!?!) And have to turn around a half a day later and buy upgraded parts for a truck i spent a paycheck on ya know. Like the guy said, I have traxxas trucks also and give them a beating more than a crawler could take and still keep on trucking. Your advertising a product that can do EVERYTHING, From Mud To rocks, to the trails. but Their quality of product wont alow somebody to fully enjoy the Machine befor they have to upgrade. I should be able to upgrade to my SPECS. NOT TO what a company failed to address in meetings and testing.
Twiztid Metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 09:46 AM   #6
Jus
I wanna be Dave

To be fair Traxxas specializes in RTR rigs designed from the ground up for newbies to bash the hell out of, been doing it for a long time.

All in all Axial does a good job at making an entry level rock crawler/scale truck/ rock racer whatever it's called this week. It'd most likely cost a lot more to make a RTR rock crawler that didn't need ANYTHING to perform at a level most of us demand.

I've got a Wraith kit coming this week so I'll see for myself what all the fuss is about. I'm only speaking from my experience with 3 scx based kits and 2 ax-10's over the past several years.
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 09:49 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Sure they could sell the RTR with all ti links, 100 dollar servo and 250 dollar brushless sensored motor and ESC, but then I like many would not have ever bit the bullet and paid the 700-800 dollars they would have to charge. I would love to have a BAJA 5T, but 1300 dollars has kept me from the purchase. Of course there area people that would pay the 800, but it would be much less, and the aftermarket support would not be there either.

Yes there are some weak links, I have broken mine many times, but I have also had a lot of fun upgrading parts and building my own stainless tubing steering system and links.
Bronco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 10:10 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Bobby View Post
Sure they could sell the RTR with all ti links, 100 dollar servo and 250 dollar brushless sensored motor and ESC, but then I like many would not have ever bit the bullet and paid the 700-800 dollars they would have to charge. I would love to have a BAJA 5T, but 1300 dollars has kept me from the purchase. Of course there area people that would pay the 800, but it would be much less, and the aftermarket support would not be there either.

Yes there are some weak links, I have broken mine many times, but I have also had a lot of fun upgrading parts and building my own stainless tubing steering system and links.

Hell your not even gettng it. Basicly its the QUALITY of the plastic in the Wraith that Can not handle a basic electronics package. I wasnt even talking about the electronics, Just the stuff he was talking about. LET Alone you ad the upgraded Electronics and you might as well not even turn it on because its gona break.

The tranny gears, the drive shafts cant even handle a closed endbell 20t axial motor you have a problem. Of course people want to upgrade. I would rather upgrade my Electronics to get the most out of the Wraith, but it seem like people have to upgrade the Wraith to enjoy it at all with stock equipment.

on top of that AXIAL KNEW WHAT the Wraith was going to be used for!! WHY DIDNT they upgrade the quality plastics in the Wraith?

Sure people will upgrade to aluminum, but I wouldnt want to have to spend 200 dollars right off the bat on something that I just bought NEW! You know what imsaying, Upgrade parts as the WEAR out, Not right outta the box. Some people are not forutnate enought to be able to purchace aluminum Knuckles, upgraed driveshats, aluminum this, metal that. They should how ever beable to buy the Wraith and USE it, If they abuse it and break something, thats fine, but To not beable to enjoy your Money spent on soemthing that you would HAVE to upgrade to use at all is not good. Sure its a RTR and a crap servo, thats something i would upgrade right away, The ESC, tx/rx are all basic stuff but shouldnt have a problem. I would end up putting a 27t or 35t motor in one.

I want a Wraith, but post after post, and Thread after Thread seeing the same problems pop up. Makes me think twice.

Last edited by Twiztid Metal; 10-16-2011 at 10:13 AM.
Twiztid Metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 10:35 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

I haven't found an rc that I couldn't brake. Drive it like you stole it.

I am always driving my rigs hard and purposely trying to break it to find the weak links. I think axial did a great job on this truck for the price. Sure the kit comes with some better parts but im sure it still has weak points.

Like said before if you wanted a stronger rig it would cost more money and less people would be into the hobby. I always upgrade and personalize my rigs anyways.
BCkoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 10:44 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiztid Metal View Post

I want a Wraith, but post after post, and Thread after Thread seeing the same problems pop up. Makes me think twice.
I see thread after thread about people loving their truck with the odd question or repair. Shit breaks.....deal with it. It's part of the hobby

I also broke a stock lower link after about 10 runs of absolute punishment. I had no upgrades at that time and was amazed of the durability and how long it lasted before I finally broke something.
BCkoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 10:44 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Haven't broken a single thing yet on my wraith, with 15-20 packs through it, I've got maybe 30-35 hours of use out of it crawling, climbing, trailing. Yesterday I was out for 4 solid hours trailing on pretty rough terrain and climbing rocks. I've rolled it dozens of times, it's had some pretty high falls and hasn't broken anything. Don't know what your doing with it but you must beating on it and running into things. It's a straight axle, it's not made for jumping, it's not made for going fast, it's not made to turn at speed. If you wanted speed, agility, and jumping potential you should have got a Slash.

And the key to not breaking things is to learn how to drive it. If you run into trees, hit rocks full speed, jump it off ramps, your going to break things. The idea is to try to avoid things that may break your rig, and to not be careless.

Last edited by strap624; 10-16-2011 at 10:46 AM.
strap624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 10:49 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Here's a noobs point of view! I personally think axial did a good job. from what i've seen (about a years worth) just about any rtr crawler is designed for the new guy. that's who buys them. when i got my wraith it did everything i thought and a whole lot more. i had watched videos, read here for months, and had a general idea what a crawler was capable of. boy was i wrong! the wraith held up to everything i threw at it except for one thing, the damn screw that holds the c hub on kept falling out. a little ca glue on the screw and it was fixed.

now can the wraith be upgraded? yes. does the wraith NEED upgraded? that depends on what you are going to do with it. for the new guys that are just gonna run it around th yard, and crawl thru the flower bed, it is fine. for the hardcore wheeler it's gonna need some things. this is no different than going down to the dealership and buying a new jeep. sure it will do dirt roads and some light wheeling, BUT if your gonna get hardcore with it your gonna break stuff and upgrade the hell out of it!

from my limited experience the guys on this site are more hardcore than the average rc crawlers. you see breakage here because guys are putting their vehicles thru some extreme abuse. i've started upgrading my wraith because i'm starting to get more confident and trying harder and harder obstacles.
hoghead5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 11:03 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Axial is not known for out the box longevity. Did everyone forget the xr-10 that broke gears in the first 10 minutes of use. Once Vanquish takes over and fixes all Axials mistakes (to the tune of several hundred $) things will be OK. Until then Axial will stay quiet and ignore the obvious problems ( can someone say short side axles not fitting and causing binding) while people still keep pouring money into thier bank account.

I agree there is some real janky shit going on and if it was another company doing this there would be outrage. But since Axial gives enough of these cars to key people to come on the forums and say how great they are I am sure the issues will just exist and the secondary market will take over and correct things.

Face it, RC companies are like drug dealers. They don't make much on the first time, they get you on the come back. Why spend an extra $20 on a kit and build something great when they can save $20 and then make another $20 on you buying more parts from them.
The Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 11:12 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoghead5150 View Post
Here's a noobs point of view! I personally think axial did a good job. from what i've seen (about a years worth) just about any rtr crawler is designed for the new guy. that's who buys them. when i got my wraith it did everything i thought and a whole lot more. i had watched videos, read here for months, and had a general idea what a crawler was capable of. boy was i wrong! the wraith held up to everything i threw at it except for one thing, the damn screw that holds the c hub on kept falling out. a little ca glue on the screw and it was fixed.

now can the wraith be upgraded? yes. does the wraith NEED upgraded? that depends on what you are going to do with it. for the new guys that are just gonna run it around th yard, and crawl thru the flower bed, it is fine. for the hardcore wheeler it's gonna need some things. this is no different than going down to the dealership and buying a new jeep. sure it will do dirt roads and some light wheeling, BUT if your gonna get hardcore with it your gonna break stuff and upgrade the hell out of it!

from my limited experience the guys on this site are more hardcore than the average rc crawlers. you see breakage here because guys are putting their vehicles thru some extreme abuse. i've started upgrading my wraith because i'm starting to get more confident and trying harder and harder obstacles.

well said . . . . i got my rtr and it performed great for me out of the box. first thing i did was replace the servo and motor. and i wheeled it like that for about 2 or 3 weeks with no issues till i started noticing the wheel folding up under the truck ture to the plastic links so i built some aluminum lowers and aluminum steering. . . . well fast forward and i have quite a bit more upgrades . . . but the point is . . . . i have not BROKEN a single part on my wraith. because i take care of my stuff and i wheel withing my known limits and i dont bash the hell out of it. i mainly crawl and run trails. no real fast stuff. be that as it may, i think axial did an awsome job with the wraith and i have no complaints . . . . . my .02
Chappy4o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 06:12 PM   #15

i most say for the money the wraith is a pretty good truck ive had mine for a month now been running a side winder in it on 3s and anything that broke was my fault or my buddies we have beat the living hell out of this truck and all we have broken is one lower link crack the bumper and a servo horn and that with about 30 hrs of run time . i should mention im a long time basher and have broken lots of trucks in alot less time (slash 4x4 hpi savage losi lst )to name a few so the wraith is a pretty tough little rtr
jaxandjokers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 06:18 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

im haven an alright time with mine even tho its a bone stock kit nothin to fancy on it besides cc bec fxr integy 35t didnt like the gearing so i geared it down...seems alright on the rocks only think i didnt like about it was axial steering configuration but im building it my own way with some scrap delrin! dont give up buddy you'll get it! just remember dont fix whats not yet broken!
m0d3ds1ash45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 10:16 PM   #17

I haven't bashed the crap outta this thing and I take care of my stuff (in case your wondering I'm a 40 something Power Engineer/mechanic by trade). Broke the lower link boucing up over a curb. Might have been a bad run of parts, but i have talked to a few other people that bought from the same shop and similar breakage. Lhs only ordered these once. After making new links and tie rod I am satisfied for a stock unit. And yes upgrading is part of the hobby, but I find it unacceptable that it wont do the things promo vids show without a couple hundred in upgrades. As I said in my first post, I would have paid a little more for a better product. High stress parts in aluminum/steel would cost them mabey $10-20 a truck, so charge an extra $50-75, hell even $100, for it and have happy consumer and still meet profit margin. Again not slamming Axial but they need to step it up a notch.
rocketron is offline   Reply With Quote