Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: difference between ax10 and wraith axles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2011, 04:38 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default difference between ax10 and wraith axles

what are the differences between these axles? would the wraith axles be a little upgrade to the stock ax10/scx10 axles? do you guys have any pix of side by side comparison?
phre0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-2011, 06:16 AM   #2
XDR
Pebble Pounder

Width is a main difference along with offset differential for better drive shaft angles.
XDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 06:25 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDR View Post
Width is a main difference along with offset differential for better drive shaft angles.

in your opinion.. you think it would be a little better to use a set of wraith axles on a scx10 im building... i wouldnt mind a wider track.. a little bit more stable i suppose
phre0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 07:05 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Depends how wide you want it... The wraith kit axles will also have universals which are much stronger then the ax-10 dog bones. I'm building a TTC rig (big crazy thing) and using wraith diffs.
PipeDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 09:01 AM   #5
XDR
Pebble Pounder

Like PipeDreams said, depends on how wide you want. If you want a full width axle then yes, compare a dana 44 (ax-10) to dana 60 (wraith) in comparison to size. Yes I know even with those width varies. If you want true scale stick with AX-10, if you want an all out go with Wraith.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:50 AM   #6
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDR View Post
If you want true scale stick with AX-10, if you want an all out go with Wraith.
Thats not really a good statement. The AR60 axles are MUCH more scale looking than an AX10 axle. It just depends how you design and build the rig around the axles.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 10:50 AM   #7
XDR
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
Thats not really a good statement. The AR60 axles are MUCH more scale looking than an AX10 axle. It just depends how you design and build the rig around the axles.
I was implying in the width aspect. I'd say the Wraith is more true for a front axle having offset differential the AX-10 would be more scale in the rear having a centered differential. For width in a normal truck the AX-10 has a better "scale" track width for a stock vehicle, if you are building an upgraded vehicle the Wraith is wider and can work. There are a couple SCX10s with the Wraith axle you can look on you tube and see them for size comparison. Now in overall appearance, yes the Wraith axle looks more realistic. There are two types of "real" axles, the AX-10 has a third member type, like most Toyotas have and the Wraith has a rear access like the Dana series axles.
Old 11-20-2011, 01:30 PM   #8
~ Got PROPANE ? ~

I was just reading thru this and thought that the most important thing about axle width is this:

What is your end goal ?

Do you want it to look SCALE (realistic)

OR

Do care more about performance and less about Scale Looks ?

To me it really depends on what BODY I'll be using.

I like to keep my rigs as SCALE looking as possible.

Others...don't mind if they are scale .....as long as they perform the way they want it to.

To me...a Summit (for example)...looks way too out of scale (monster truck-ish)...but many...MANY people love it.

It's really a personal opinion on how you like your rigs to look.

If you want it to look SCALE...you need to keep in mind that the axles need to be the right width to the body that you are using.

There are times...when "WIDER" is still scale....for example...

Say you want to replicate a Jeep with 1 ton/Full Widths on it....then...it would be ok to go with a wider than normal axle for that body.

That's just my opinion though...and while we all have our opinions as to what we like...there are some limitations on axle width if the end goal for your rig is to look SCALE.

If you're not worried about scale looks...then you can use any axle you find really.

ArOn
BiG_DaWgZ is offline   Reply With Quote