Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Servo Options

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2012, 10:54 AM   #1

Default Servo Options

I finally broke the weak stock servo on my RTR. It now only turns right ans the gears spin trying to turn left. I'm looking for options on what to replace it with and am eyeballing the HS-7954SH. I know I need a BEC, but which one? Do I need the 20A or will the cheaper 10A do? Also, do these things need to be programmed with other stuff or do they work out of the box and plugged in? Sorry for the newb questions
BLK00TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2012, 11:00 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Servo Options

they work right out of the box but can be programed for higher * of steering. the 10a BEC will be fine. i run the 7950 and a jr9100t in my ax10s. dont waste your money on the savox. i was extreemly un happy with that servo. its always worth the money to buy a servo you know is going to last you a long time and not fail you.
crawler nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 11:08 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

The gears in the stock servo stripped in my Wraith too, as expected. So I stepped up to a HS-7955TG with Titanium gears along with a better and stronger billet clamp on servo horn and am very happy with it. I did not need a BEC, and it was a direct bolt in replacement.
Attached Images

Land Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 11:08 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

I just got the Savox and it's leaps and bounds better then the stock servo. and i've already smashed it intoa few rocks and it's still holding up just fine.
irollgen4s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 11:15 AM   #5
RCC Addict

you dont need 1 but if you want to run it at 7.4 it either needs the BEC or a receiver pack directly powering the servo. my savox is holding up as well but i am not at all happy with its delayed responce and inability to steer when crawling the rocks. you have to be on the throttle to steer and it still doesnt respond right away.
Old 03-17-2012, 12:15 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Land Crab View Post
The gears in the stock servo stripped in my Wraith too, as expected. So I stepped up to a HS-7955TG with Titanium gears along with a better and stronger billet clamp on servo horn and am very happy with it. I did not need a BEC, and it was a direct bolt in replacement.
If you're using the stock ESC and no BEC, you're not getting even close to the output of that servo, probably missing 100 oz/in. My stock ESC only measured 4.7 volts output to the servo.
dunerinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 12:24 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerinaz View Post
If you're using the stock ESC and no BEC, you're not getting even close to the output of that servo, probably missing 100 oz/in. My stock ESC only measured 4.7 volts output to the servo.

I am new to this, so I do not know what I may or may not be missing When my stock servo broke I went for what I believed was a solid option and did not have any issues with the stock ESC. I have since upgraded to a Holmes Hobbies BR-XL along with a 2012 Team Crawlmaster motor. I was told by JH himself that I did not need any other BEC.
Land Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 12:25 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Land Crab View Post
I am new to this, so I do not know what I may or may not be missing When my stock servo broke I went for what I believed was a solid option and did not have any issues with the stock ESC. I have since upgraded to a Holmes Hobbies BR-XL along with a 2012 Team Crawlmaster motor. I was told by JH himself that I did not need any other BEC.
You're good to go with the BRXL. It has a very nice internal BEC that puts out 6v.
dunerinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 12:38 PM   #9
RCC Addict

i like to get the max out of the servo. i went with a CC BEC and set it at 7.4v. the 7950 at 480oz is a beast and will take what ever you can throw at it. it comes programed with 35-40* i believe. you can program it to 50*+. it is a great servo.
Old 03-17-2012, 01:32 PM   #10

Thanks everyone! I'm trying to keep costs down as much as possible without having to replace junk that wasn't worth buying to start with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crawler nut View Post
i like to get the max out of the servo. i went with a CC BEC and set it at 7.4v.
Lost me there... you "set it at 7.4v"? The BEC has to be programmed?
Old 03-17-2012, 01:37 PM   #11
RCC Addict

you program it with the Castle link. it is programable from 4.2 up to 10v. it is always worth it to spend the money on a quality servo. jr or hightec is the only way to go IMO

Last edited by crawler nut; 03-17-2012 at 01:39 PM.
Old 03-17-2012, 01:44 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawler nut View Post
you program it with the Castle link. it is programable from 4.2 up to 10v. it is always worth it to spend the money on a quality servo. jr or hightec is the only way to go IMO
Fudge! I just googled it and says I need Winders. I only have Linux. I'll have to borrow someone's PC I guess. Thanks for the heads up on the programming thing. I'd have blown somethin' up not doing it right.
Old 03-17-2012, 01:48 PM   #13
RCC Addict

it comes pre programed at 5 out of the package. its the set up im running on all of my crawlers and love it. everything at 7.4
Old 03-17-2012, 02:42 PM   #14

Here's what I'm ordering. Let me know if there's anything I'm missing...

Castle Creations Castle Link USB Programmer Adapter | eBay

Castle Creations CC BEC 10A 6S Switching Regulator | eBay

Hitec HS-7954SH High Voltage Ultra Torque Dual BB Servo | eBay
Old 03-17-2012, 02:44 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK00TJ View Post
Fudge! I just googled it and says I need Winders. I only have Linux. I'll have to borrow someone's PC I guess. Thanks for the heads up on the programming thing. I'd have blown somethin' up not doing it right.
I just ordered one for myself so I haven't had a chance to test it personally yet, but the software for the Castle Link may work under Wine, which is a way to run Winders programs under Linux.

As soon as I get my link I'll be trying this, as I want to turn off the lipo cuttoff that's default for the RTR Wraith's ESC, but as I have NiMH it's just giving me a twitchy feeling sometimes when I slam the gas.

I'll LYK what I find, I'm hoping WINE works myself, as I'm not sure I have a winders box left!
Scurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 02:53 PM   #16
RCC Addict

youre good on your order. thats all you need. it comes with an aluminum horn so no need to buy one. you will be very happy with that steering set up.
Old 03-17-2012, 02:57 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurvy View Post
I just ordered one for myself so I haven't had a chance to test it personally yet, but the software for the Castle Link may work under Wine, which is a way to run Winders programs under Linux.

As soon as I get my link I'll be trying this, as I want to turn off the lipo cuttoff that's default for the RTR Wraith's ESC, but as I have NiMH it's just giving me a twitchy feeling sometimes when I slam the gas.

I'll LYK what I find, I'm hoping WINE works myself, as I'm not sure I have a winders box left!
I've found that wine and other virtual box software to be hit or miss with hardware devices. Worth a try I guess though.
Old 03-17-2012, 03:06 PM   #18

I bought the 7954sh and what a difference programming it from 5v to 7.4v made. It steers so much easier now especially in a bind. I can lift the front end with it.
turdferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 03:12 PM   #19

I just put the order in. Nothing to do now but make sure all the batteries are charged up.

My next thing to replace will probably be the motor/ESC. That'll have to wait until I'm done with some mods to my Jeep unless they break first.

Thanks again everyone! RCC is an great source of info and support for us new to the hobby.
Old 03-17-2012, 03:16 PM   #20

I've put more time into this wraith in the last 4 months than my 1:1 crawler and it just needs some welding. I can't help it though I'm hooked on this damn thing.
turdferguson is offline   Reply With Quote

Servo Options - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Servo options? Gadgetguy Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 2 08-19-2010 07:31 PM
servo options Chappy4o Venom Creeper 15 06-10-2010 09:43 PM
Wk Servo Options 71mosher Electronics 4 11-19-2009 07:10 AM
Servo Options PastryLikeDood Electronics 0 01-14-2006 04:56 PM
Servo Options zimbob Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut 6 08-08-2004 09:14 AM