Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Tire question...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2013, 05:00 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Tire question...

I've searched and read a lot of similar titled threads but am having a little trouble understanding what I'm reading.

I recently got my Wraith and am looking for crawling specific tires. I'll have my stock ones for trail riding but want some aggressive rock crawling tires too. My questions are what tire size am I looking for? What is 1.9 or 2.2 tires? The tires are clearly larger then that..

Sorry if redudant

THanks!
jrowles91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-2013, 05:04 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Tire question...

Wheel diameter.

1.9 inches.
2.2 inches.

Most Wraiths I have seen look/function better with 2.2.
I tried 1.9's on mine and it looked like a lifted truck on 10inch tires. Just awful.

Then you'll need to figure out what tires you want.

Last edited by offroadace; 04-18-2013 at 05:06 PM.
offroadace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:32 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroadace View Post
Wheel diameter.

1.9 inches.
2.2 inches.

Most Wraiths I have seen look/function better with 2.2.
I tried 1.9's on mine and it looked like a lifted truck on 10inch tires. Just awful.

Then you'll need to figure out what tires you want.
Oh gotcha. The factory wheel is a 2.2 on the Wraith right? I'm thinking of trying the Rovers. I like the looks and they are the most recommended I've found.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:54 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrowles91 View Post
Oh gotcha. The factory wheel is a 2.2 on the Wraith right? I'm thinking of trying the Rovers. I like the looks and they are the most recommended I've found.
Yes, stock wheel is a 2.2.
I run RC4WD Iroks on my Wraith and they do great, very soft and sticky. Different or modified foams can completely change how a tire performs too.

When tires are classified as 1.55, 1.7, 1.9, 2.0, or 2.2 they're referring to wheel diameter just like the wheel size on a normal life size car. There are different overall diameter size tires that fit on the same size wheel too. My Iroks for example are 5.75" tall while the Axial Ripsaws I believe are 5.5", both of those are still 2.2 tires. So that's another thing to look at before ordering. Since the Wraith doesn't have wheel wells the tire has to tuck into when the suspension compresses its not that big of an issue unless you want to keep the diameter as close to stock as possible.

Last edited by KillerBlackbird; 04-18-2013 at 06:02 PM.
KillerBlackbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:06 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Also, if you plan on using them for strictly crawling I'd probably go with the stickiest compound. RC4WD's X2SS I believe is their current softest rubber compound. Everyone seems to love PitBull Rockbeast IIs but I haven't personally used them, everyone says those are super soft too.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:26 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

How do you like the Iroks compared to the stockers. I did want a little extra room under the diffs so the slightly higher diameter is what I want. Are they a lot better crawling?
Old 04-18-2013, 10:47 PM   #7

My wraith is used strictly for crawling. I ran the White Dot Rovers for a couple months. The same tires I have ran on any of my rigs. The Wraith is an animal with the Rovers. A very sticky and high performing tire. But, they do not have the scale look I was looking for.
I recently started running the Proline TSL Super Swampers with memory foams. I ran every line I ever took with my Rovers. They are slightly smaller than the stock tires. (Roughly the same size as Rovers) But the performance for a scale tire is unbelievable. Super sticky, yet hold their shape very well. Plus, they look fantastic. I've only got a few hours in on these tires. They aren't even broke in yet. I have not once missed my Rovers. I highly recommend the TSL Swampers with a nice soft memory foam. You will not be disappointed. Just in case you are considering these tires. The stock foams are "ok." I use another Proline foam, part #6197-02. Most guys will tell you to run the Stage 2 foams by Proline. Just because they cost more. Doesn't make them better. Good luck on your search for the right tire!
Freakshow185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:21 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Do you have a picture of your wraith with the Swampers? You think the swampers are equal to the performance of the Rovers?
Old 04-19-2013, 10:33 AM   #9

I am currently on my phone so I can't upload a pic. If you need one now you can message me your phone # and I could send you a few pics.
With the foams I just put in my TSL's I would say that they are neck and neck with the Rovers. Like I said, I don't miss em. There are pros and cons between the two tires. The Swampers are horrible when they are wet. But I personally don't do much crawling in the rain. Or any water for that matter. I probably won't run Rovers on any of my scale rigs from here on out. I'm sold on the TSL's.
Freakshow185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:26 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrowles91 View Post
How do you like the Iroks compared to the stockers. I did want a little extra room under the diffs so the slightly higher diameter is what I want. Are they a lot better crawling?
I actually never used the RipSaws haha. Right out of the gate I used the Iroks. I have slightly taller shocks (RC4WD King 110mm) so it sits a little higher too, but the extra flex is great for crawling. I am using the RipSaw foams in my Iroks too, so the tire conforms to rocks better in my opinion. The foams that came with the Iroks were a little too stiff for my liking.

I have the Proline TSL/SX Super Swampers on my Honcho and those perform very well just like Freakshow said.

Axial Honcho by -KillerBlackbird-, on Flickr

And the Iroks on my Wraith:

Axial Wraith by -KillerBlackbird-, on Flickr

Old 04-19-2013, 02:48 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I like those Wraith wheels! My plan was to run my stock wheels/tires for trail riding and switch to the crawler specific for those certain outings.

Tire question... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tire question BJoe Axial SCX-10 9 11-12-2010 09:39 AM
tire question nickvb1996 Newbie General 11 04-05-2010 04:11 AM
tire question scale4x4 Tires and Wheels 2 03-23-2010 02:35 PM
tire question ax ceawler Tires and Wheels 12 09-26-2009 02:39 PM
1.9 tire question _Jason_ 1.9 Scale Rigs 9 10-05-2007 11:21 PM