Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Anyone running a Novak 550 long Ballistic motor?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2011, 10:14 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Anyone running a Novak 550 long Ballistic motor?

Trying to set up my new wraith with my old motor and it doesn't fit. Novak 550 ballistic motor. Its slightly longer than the standard 540/550 motor and contacts the right rear link and the connection to the skid plate. Sucks cuz I dont wanna buy another motor.

Any suggestions? I was considering raiseing the tranny up on washers to fit the motor. But the top of the tranny will come into contact with the interior and the axle shaft angles will be more severe.

Has anyone installed this motor before?
noir522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-2011, 05:37 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Anyone running a Novak 550 long Ballistic motor?

I had the same problem when i installed my venom 550 4200kv. I trimmed the link mount a touch for it to fit. It has not broken, even with an accidental 30mph launch about 10 feet in the air. You could layer some two part plastic weld around it once you trim it for more strength if you want, but I havent done that. I would only trim a tiny bit at a time, though, so you dont trim too much and really make it weak. Pay real close attention to where it rubs, I took off the front links and axle so i could see really well. Good luck!
summervillecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 09:51 PM   #3

Try spacing the motor up a bit for more clearance.
03cobrakid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 07:21 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Actually just installed it. I cut two 1" plastic plates (approx 2mm thick) and drilled holes to match the tranny. Placed them between the tranny and the chassis (essentially raising the motor and tranny 4mm). And the motor fits like a charm. Axle shaft angles are not giving me any problems, the top of the motor pushes up into the interior slightly (if you look close you will notice that the passenger seat is now slightly higher than the driver seat) but I can live with it. Still trying not to buy more stuff, I fit on a mod.8 58t Traxxas spur along with a 14t mod.8 5mm pinion on the ballistic motor and its good to go.

Even though its a sensored motor I am now realizing that going brushless in a crawler designed to only go 5mph is a waste of cash. Even with the mmp I think the stock system along with a better brushed motor would be a more than adequate idea. I feel as though I am wasting away a 55mph motor (but the torque is nice).

Last edited by noir522; 12-31-2011 at 07:25 AM.
noir522 is offline   Reply With Quote

Anyone running a Novak 550 long Ballistic motor? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Novak Ballistic 550 High Torque Motor STANG KILLA SS Electronics 0 05-17-2011 12:18 PM
novak ballistic 550 rcracer Electronics 2 12-24-2010 09:45 PM