Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: My KOH cut up wraith

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2012, 02:22 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default My KOH/U4 Wraith

Here's my wraith that i run in our ultra 4 racing series. It used to be a rtr but i finally got around to changing it up a bit. I never did like how slanted the rear cab support bar was after the chop, so i never did the chop. Well I finally figured out a way to fix that I got my appendix out last saturday so with all the sit time i finally got around to painting the panels. I still have to finish up some detail work and scale touches but it's finally something to show.

Specs-
mmp/pro4 3300 12/56 gearing. HR hard anod alum gears
savox 1256/cc bec- savox DEAD. Now running Hitec 7950 with axial HD arm
2250 3s
chopped cage
r35's mounted on RC4WD 2.2 Predator beadlocks
Axial universals-Shimmed/ MIP Center drivelines
Strc steering links
Losi White springs front/hpi firestorm rears- Oil 40 frt 35 rr

Last edited by dirk379; 05-27-2012 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Spec's changed, tried to change thread title, didn't work.
dirk379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-2012, 03:01 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: My KOH cut up wraith

Looks awesome Dirk!!
Going Up! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:44 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

By far, one of the best Wraiths I've seen to date!
PANDAbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:00 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Looks great!

Any info on the fuel tank?
Bellvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:02 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Thanks guys, lovin her with the pro 4 and updated looks. Got 2 2250 3s packs through her today, a couple from the outing:

Old 05-04-2012, 07:07 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellvis View Post
Looks great!

Any info on the fuel tank?
Thank you, the fuel tank is from the tamiya f350/hilux highlift kits, painted of course. I was originally going to make one to cover the mmp but then i saw this and thought it would be much less work. Now to find something to cover the mmp... Oh the filler neck portion is a hub cap from a 1.9 ebay eagle look alike wheel just drilled out so the gas line can feed into it, lucked out with that one too.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:30 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Wow loving the fastback I've never liked the other way ether. But this looks great! How did you secure it? Glue or did you screw it?
Sneakretly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 05:30 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

I really like your Wraith, everything just looks so right.
I'm sure its been covered somewhere before but i can't seem to find it (yes even using the search function before someone says it) Is it easy to move the rear lights into the panels?
nitromike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:56 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitromike View Post
I'm sure its been covered somewhere before but i can't seem to find it (yes even using the search function before someone says it) Is it easy to move the rear lights into the panels?
its very easy to do. took me about 15-20 minutes from start to finish.
crawler nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 03:05 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneakretly View Post
Wow loving the fastback I've never liked the other way ether. But this looks great! How did you secure it? Glue or did you screw it?
Thanks, it's holding up well too. It's screwed together. At the top rear cab corners the pieces i added are all notched to fit together like puzzles on that one screw. The verticle bar is on the outside, and the diagnol rear bar is samwiched between that and the roof. If that makes sense.

When i originally went into it, i was planning on just brazing something simple up but then i realized its much smaller than the plastic and would look weird so i stared at the left over plastic pieces for quite some time till it came to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitromike View Post
Thanks, agree i like the lines of it much better. Yup super easy to do, all these mods i've done aren't too hard to do, just time consuming.
Old 05-05-2012, 03:10 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Super nice Wraith!
I love your paint scheme. Very simple and clean.
Crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:45 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Really nice looking rig!
NCT_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:08 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Hows it make you feel Dirk that you got someone wanting to build a replica basically of your rig?!

The guys at Axial Wraith Fan Page are wanting to do one just like yours pretty much!

Your racing this weekend right?!
Old 05-15-2012, 08:01 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Get back to work dirk!
I'm waiting patiently for an order.

Oh and the rig is looking bad ass as always.
Chaotic Crawlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:55 AM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Going Up! View Post
Hows it make you feel Dirk that you got someone wanting to build a replica basically of your rig?!

The guys at Axial Wraith Fan Page are wanting to do one just like yours pretty much!

Your racing this weekend right?!
Yeah I'll be there, might drive out saturday night and camp not sure yet.

Lol that's how i feel about every rig from a few builders, so it makes me feel only a little good
Just messin, that's awesome though. Wraith fan page? facebook i assume? I'd tell them to do it! It looks stupid with links inboarded (the top rear) from the rest of the cage so unless you want the bent rear cab support bar look like you and others do i say copy mine so it doesn't look like a hack job from hell.

Here's my ideal solution to this. Axial hire's me, I finally get away from winter/allergies and we put out a dirk design'd rear cage kit from a plastic mold so all you have to do is cut the cage, drill a couple holes and wham bam you're done. We can then pull their "rear cage mod chop" off the axial blog, and replace it with mine. Then I'll design the next wraith to look like a real ultra4/koh rig, perhaps a clone of poison spyders ivy rig with a few needed changes, and shortly after that since i'll be in cali, i'll move on to steal kate beckinsale from that wes dude, and kindly force her to dress in underworld attire for the rest of her life. ...If there's one thing i'm good at, it's dreaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCT_Guy View Post
Really nice looking rig!
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaotic Crawlers View Post
Get back to work dirk!
I'm waiting patiently for an order.

Oh and the rig is looking bad ass as always.
Haha thanks i know i need to get back to work on this thing. The last time i drove it, it took a high speed cartwheel down a hill bouncing off sagebrush for about 40-50ft and ripped one of the rear number plates off-the 3rd replacement i'll be making. I should use thicker lexan but it doesn't look as scale IMO. I have definitely tested the durability of this cage mod!

Wait a minute... now im all sorts of confused. back to work work? or back to work on the wraith? Lol. Been back to work work for a week 1/2 now but no honda's anywhere in sight or you talkin cc? I've thought about ordering links, but my front links are actually shorter than the stock length links. It looks better this way in my eyes, and i haven't notice any performance loss. Heck, I'm still runnin them trusty plastic uppers too! I did swap the fronts out for the plastic xr links with removable rod ends so i could shorten them.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:37 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk379 View Post
Yeah I'll be there, might drive out saturday night and camp not sure yet.

Lol that's how i feel about every rig from a few builders, so it makes me feel only a little good

Just messin, that's awesome though. Wraith fan page? facebook i assume? I'd tell them to do it! It looks stupid with links inboarded (the top rear) from the rest of the cage so unless you want the bent rear cab support bar look like you and others do i say copy mine so it doesn't look like a hack job from hell.

Here's my ideal solution to this. Axial hire's me, I finally get away from winter/allergies and we put out a dirk design'd rear cage kit from a plastic mold so all you have to do is cut the cage, drill a couple holes and wham bam you're done. We can then pull their "rear cage mod chop" off the axial blog, and replace it with mine. Then I'll design the next wraith to look like a real ultra4/koh rig, perhaps a clone of poison spyders ivy rig with a few needed changes, and shortly after that since i'll be in cali, i'll move on to steal kate beckinsale from that wes dude, and kindly force her to dress in underworld attire for the rest of her life. ...If there's one thing i'm good at, it's dreaming

That is for sure!!! But I have to agree, she is hot in her Underworld outfits!!
Old 05-16-2012, 04:56 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

Looks awesome man! Where did you get that rear light bar?

Sent from my tardis using Tapatalk
stevelknievel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:30 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Looks clean! I like it!!
Fowlboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:58 AM   #19
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevelknievel View Post
Looks awesome man! Where did you get that rear light bar?

Sent from my tardis using Tapatalk
Thanks, the rear light bar is from an axial exo, lenses are from my axial lighthousing/lens bin. The blue one is just a clear lens colored inside with a blue sharpie.

It also has an aluminum panel on top, and bottom. The bottom panel is to hold the radiator. The top is for looks, and protection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fowlboy View Post
Looks clean! I like it!!
Thank you!
Old 05-27-2012, 04:27 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Default New Wheels

Well last race my savox servo quit turning left on me about gate 20/100. It would turn left sometimes when the load was off the tires at high speeds but only sometimes. I changed a battery pack thinking it was dying, but limped it through the race. I finished 8/24. I managed to blow 2 beads too, those proline beadlocks can't hold the bead under the power of the pro4. Worst beadlock design ever IMO. I'd glued the beads in them with a couple drops of ca but after this happening i decided to pony up and get a new set of wheels. I'm glad i did because these are sexy. RC4wd Predator 2.2 beadlocks. I went with zero weight on the rear and 5.5oz frt. Before i was 7.5 oz front and 3.5. rear if i remember correctly. The new wheels are heavier, so i probably didn't lose a whole lot of weight, but it felt better running it on the rock lines in the yard.
You can also see my new hitec 7950 and axial servo arm.

Last edited by dirk379; 05-27-2012 at 04:38 PM.

My KOH cut up wraith - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Derwood's KOH Wraith derwood21 Axial Wraith 27 05-30-2012 04:18 PM
KoH style Wraith Mad4Rnr Axial Wraith 60 04-14-2012 05:13 PM
wraith koh mad mike 55 Axial Wraith 2 03-20-2012 04:48 AM
wraith koh trail ROLANDROCKSHOP Scale Videos! 2 07-09-2011 12:28 PM
koh = wraith ? hardknox Chit Chat 2 06-05-2011 05:25 PM