Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Revo Spur 56t #3957 not quite centering

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2012, 07:24 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Revo Spur 56t #3957 not quite centering

I picked up some 32p gearing based on the fact that everyone said the Revo 32p spur fits right on.

I had to pull off the slipper adjustment nut because the hole in the stock spur is too small to fit over the spring and there's also a larger washer at the bottom of the spring over the hole in the spur (this is how my RTR came). When the stock was off, I ended up also pulling off the slipper half so it would be easier to install the gear.

The holes line up very well, but the stock screws are too long without spacers. You have to put the screws through the holes, then put the stock washers between the gear and the slipper. This spaces the gear just enough that the stock screws don't poke through the friction pad.

So, that all went as expected. I checked the hole in the spur vs the post on the half of the slipper that comes off and it looked pretty darn centered. Then I mounted up my pinion and got everythign lined up.

After that, i noticed that I'd set my mesh with a piece of paper then double check that it had just a little wiggle room. After that I rotate the spur 1/4 turn and check mesh. With my setup I get tight mesh on one side and looser mesh on the other side.

I'f I make the "tight" side push all the way in then the "loose" side has good mesh and if I make the "tight" side the way I like it (one sheet of paper as clearance) then the "loose" side is too much for my liking.

I've pulled the gear off and tried it in 3 different orientations and it gives the same effect. When I stick the 48p gears back on there's no inconsistency.

Have any of you run into issues like this where the 32p gear doesn't center properly? I'm thinking the bolt pattern might be a wee bit off so i wanted to check before reaming the holes a little.
ik632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-2012, 07:58 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Revo Spur 56t #3957 not quite centering

I tried a #3957 and didn't like it. Too loose at the slipper hub and the 3 mounting holes were just a tad off.

Went with a Duratrax DXTC9397. Have used them on 4 different trucks and they fit perfectly. Plus it's a true 32P, not the Mod .8 of the Traxxas.
Solitaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:16 PM   #3
RCC Addict

You know, I never realized that 32p wasn't exactly the same as 0.8mod. If you take 25.4mm/0.8 = 31.75p so it's just a little bit off. I will see if the hobby shop has the Duratrax spur. The spur's at the LHS are only $3 a piece so I guess I'll run that one for a while before I can get the other spur. I may pick up a 60 tooth while I'm at it too.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:59 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Well the mod .8 does work as several posts have indicated. I think you'd get more gear whine than with a 32P and possibly more wear.
Who knows. :shrug:
Solitaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:16 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

32p and .8 mod works fine together just noisier. Found the Traxxas spurs didn't quite work for me either. I went with associated ntc3 spurs.
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:46 PM   #6
RCC Addict

I think those other spurs have slightly larger screw holes and that lets it center better. The problem with the Revo spur is there's the little tabs that go around the head of the screw and don't let it move enough.

Since it's installed and setup I guess I'll just run it and see what happens. I have a 56/12 for now with 27t Axial motor.

Revo Spur 56t #3957 not quite centering - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wraith 32p 56T with NOVAK 17.5 PLEASE HELP! OFFROADRCKOREA Axial Wraith 1 01-27-2012 10:25 PM
servo centering ax10 Newbie General 2 12-31-2010 01:07 PM
steering not centering greenmachine General Crawlers 1 01-18-2006 08:23 PM