Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: 87yota's Wraith build...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2013, 02:03 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default 87yota's Wraith build...

finally got started on wraith build...

traxxas Velineon motor/esc
VP axles, VP locker and diff cups
poison spider diff covers w additional protection
STRC c hubs ,lockouts,and steering
swampers
savox servo w racerspec horn
87/20 spur/pinion
have MIPS in the mail...

heres a few pics...it sits pretty low

ill post as i upgrade some more and ill try to get some action shots of it while im at Rausch Creek

Last edited by 87yota; 04-25-2013 at 07:13 PM.
87yota is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2013, 02:34 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: 87yota's Wraith build...[URL=http://s302.photobucket.com/user/william_indorf/medi

Can you post more of the front end with the hood off, so I can see how you mounted the front shock mounts
Andy774 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:09 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Default Re: 87yota's Wraith build...[URL=http://s302.photobucket.com/user/william_indorf/medi

And what shocks are they??
1lowta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:15 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy774 View Post
Can you post more of the front end with the hood off, so I can see how you mounted the front shock mounts

yea ill post some up tomorrow for you...
Old 04-25-2013, 07:18 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lowta View Post
And what shocks are they??

believe it or not, the shocks are integys ,type II 125mm....pretty decent shocks...

Type II Alloy Shock (2) for Axial AX10 Scorpion (L=126mm) for R/C or RC - Team Integy
Old 04-25-2013, 07:25 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: 87yota's Wraith build...

what i noticed with the shock setup this way is the side hill stability is insane and i can whip it around turns pretty good and not roll, but the swampers are struggling to stay on the rim though,lol....pulling off even with beadlocks...also i cut out the front part of the bumper for servo clearance and just when the shocks bottom out is just when the top part of the bumper is barely about to hit the servo...im talking its really tight about 1/8" before contact,lol...i have no electronics up front or battery its all centrally located inside the cab...what i used for the front crossmember between the shock extensions was just a section i cut off of some SCX sliders..didnt want any flex up there and espescially since this is a basher its gonna see some abuse..ive run about 4 packs thru this setup and its holding up just fine!
Old 04-26-2013, 01:28 PM   #7

Nice rig there. Really like the wheels and tyres. What wheels are they? Tyres look like proline super swampers? 2.2's?
Timenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:25 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Yep...2.2prolines swampers...took it out on comp course at. Rausch creek today...the sidehill stability is incredible...it took near vertical climbs with ease and even though the velineon wants to cog when doing the slow crawl its still pretty predictable..im happy with this setup but the rig took a real hard 10+ barrel roll , bent one of the rear shocks so hopefully it will be an easy fix...i guess after th RCROCS guys run the course theres gonna be an rc comp...im gonna try and see if i can get in on it , but ive never run a comp before so i dont know the rules or rig req.uirements...either way the rigs holding together. real nice...so tomorrow gonna watch the comps. And go wheeling in the 1.1's...should be a good day...
Old 04-26-2013, 07:25 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Oh and the wheels i believe are the rocksters...lol
Old 04-29-2013, 09:43 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

heres the pics of the front shock setup ....i used some SCX shock mounts and ground off the body mount off the top...great way to get the travel out of those 125mm shocks and keep the front low for steep inclines

heres my battery up front mod...definitely the key to crawling the inclines, near vertical isnt a problem now!

plenty of clearance from the spur gear...

made some posts to mount under the battery tray and attached to the frame...adds some rigidity to chassis too...

heres where it mounts on the top..

view of the bottom post and also the upper shock mount location..

all buttoned up and ready to go..the reason i like NIMH batteries is they add some good weight to the front..lol...this is 9.6 8 cell battery and fits no problem! i did have to cut off the bottom rail from the windshield support though cus is was too tight with the battery...and even the battery being a little exposed isnt a problem due to the design of the chassis and how low it sits..

next i added some supports to the front with some spacers, i found the front clip to be a little too flexy for my liking so heres my fix...

then i threw these in...finally a set of driveshafts that are made right!

and this weekends winner at RCROCS was A to Z Fabrication! awesome rig!....this might be my next scale build after "White Trash"

Old 04-30-2013, 03:23 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

so heres a little update and a couple questions....

after a weekend at Rausch Creek handing my wraith a serious beatdown on their comp course, i noticed yesterday after running it a bit that when accelerating it would just come to a complete stop. then sometimes it would reverse itself. almost like i would go from acceleration to reverse without stopping.

i checked the CVD's in the front axle ,i checked clearances of the upper driveshaft crosspins in my MIP's,i checked the spur gear(plastic), also my throttle is set to 0/-1( drag brake), and my pinions have a little bit of slop..a little not a lot

so what im wondering is what could be causing the sudden stopping/reverse? i did notice the ESC and motor were a little hot after 45 min of hard bashing in my backyard course so what im wondering is:

do you think the ESC was in thermal protection?
why would it suddenly reverse? maybe drag brake set incorrectly ? only had it at -1.....

the only thing that has changed since being at the comp course was i changed my servo to hitec dig ultra torque from the savox which is getting worn(gotta pull it apart and check gears)

could the BEC be at fault? dont see how this could be possible...but who knows...

so any input on this would be great!
Old 04-30-2013, 07:38 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

I completely missed this rig at rausch! How did you place in the dash? I broke a steering arm on my wraith in between card 2 an 3.. sucked! junk aluminium knuckle that came with it. VP in the mail..

Digging the shock mod
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:29 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

I. Just drilled the battery tray w / 1/4" drill bit and cut off the bottom rail of windshield support...had. to...but having the battery tray tied in replaces the bottom support somewhat...also once battery is in...its pretty. Snug. Fit...

Yea the A. To Z guys kicked ass!!! After they closed comp course i went out there for about two hrs and thoroughly.beat. the hell out of my rig...it took barrel rolls from 15'. Like nothing thanks to vp axles( thank god,lol)....although my.2.2 iroks
are starting to get worn now...they. seem to be getting better traction...kinda like the 1.1. Version,lol
Old 04-30-2013, 08:34 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Haha...just noticed. That you were referring to the rc comp....i was referring to the 1/1....lol...i wheeled the wraith after the fullsize rigs got done competing...i. never signed up for the rc comp cus i was wheeling.

click link for video...

http://s302.photobucket.com/user/wil...O0026.mp4.html

Last edited by 87yota; 04-30-2013 at 08:49 PM.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:43 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

No doubt! Lol...

You weren't running the Napa jeep that tried running us all over, where ya!
Old 04-30-2013, 08:48 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

no i saw him too! was about to kick his ass,too! me and my buddy were on top of course drinking some beers and i flipped the wraith and he f'n gunned for it! luckily i got it upright in time and got out of his way...

heres the 1:1 i was wheeling...

try this link...
VIDEO0026.mp4 Video by william_indorf | Photobucket
Old 04-30-2013, 08:51 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

some of those comp guys can be dicks...but whatever, i understand my 1/10 rc takes up a LOT of space on a course...LOL....6lbs vs. 5999lbs....
Old 04-30-2013, 08:57 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

No workie....

So he did it more then once? What a dic!
Old 04-30-2013, 09:06 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

ill try the link a different way but yea he tried couple time but it didnt help that i was messing with him,too...lol ...kept driving under him just to piss him off...then climbed right alongside him as well while he was struggling,lmao...i guess i was asking for it...bwahahaha
Old 04-30-2013, 09:15 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

i fixed the first link...it was in a private album...now check it out...

87yota's Wraith build... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Test URL? demonoid369 Testing 1 2 3 0 04-03-2012 02:32 AM
testes url; toy4crawlin Testing 1 2 3 0 02-12-2011 10:51 PM
Test url sheedy126 Testing 1 2 3 0 10-20-2009 08:14 PM
Test URL sheedy126 Testing 1 2 3 0 08-06-2009 10:08 PM
New user, Visionary Fab Chassis build TMWTP HPI Wheely King 15 11-26-2007 08:46 PM