Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Clash of the titans (motors)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2017, 08:58 AM   #1

Default Clash of the titans (motors)

So i've got a wraith on the way running a brushless setup but looking to switch to brushed as will be doing wet trailing etc.

Despite being hit and miss i've had good results with the traxxas titans and wondered what peoples thoughts were on it in a wraith. It will be paired with a castle sidewinder sv3.

Rotation
I understand some models had the diff installed backwards thus needing the reverse rotation version?

From what i've read on here when setup correctly the motor should be spinning CCW as viewed looking straight at the pinion gear as explained in another thread.....

Quote:
Spin the spur gear by hand when your spinning it the way that makes the tires spin forward, observe the direction your motor is spinning.. if the motor spins CW than get a reverse rotation motor. if its CCW get a normal motor.

95% of motors sold are Counter Clockwise Rotation, this is considered normal. Reverse rotation is clockwise.
Quote:
Standard Motor Rotation = CCW when looking at pinion
Reverse Motor Rotation = CW when looking at pinion
How easy is it to flip the differential ring gears?

21t vs 12t

I already have 2s and 3s batteries so that is not an issue but wondered how people decide between 21t and 12t. I would like to do some fast trailing with small jumps and still be able to crawl as well so which would be the best option?

Gearing
I've been reading different gearing threads and wondered which would be a good starting point for my usage

21t
32 pitch 13/60 3s
32 pitch 13/56 3s
23/87
14/87
12/64 3s
11/93
20/87 3s

12t
18/87

Fitting
Apparently the 21t needs fettling to fit and needs the lower link mount trimming, is there a cleaner/neater way of making it fit?
lurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-2017, 12:19 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Clash of the titans (motors)

I run a 12t 550 in my Wraith with a HobbyWing 1080 and couldn't be happier. It does well but throttle control is key. Or I could just dial back the end points but it's nice having some wheel speed on tap. I don't remember my hearing but with 30-45min crawling sessions it hasn't overheated. Ripping up and down trails could be a different story.

I had to trim just a little off the link mount. IIRC, I used a coarse wood file to do it. It's covered by the interior or I'd take a pic.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 04:49 AM   #3

Default Re: Clash of the titans (motors)

Thanks for the info I have a 21t spare so will try that first and see how it is on 3s.
lurch is offline   Reply With Quote

Clash of the titans (motors) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Clash of The Titans RC Drift - Presented by CowRC! Team CowRC Non Crawler RC's 0 06-27-2013 12:23 PM
Iron Man 2 & Clash of the Titans 2JSC Chit Chat 1 12-16-2009 10:11 PM
*JConcepts RC Clash* Paul Wynn Florida 26 12-06-2008 05:49 PM
Burining out VMG/CLASH motors!?!? pbfrk4life Electronics 2 03-02-2007 02:04 PM