RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Axial Wraith (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-wraith/)
-   -   All bushings in axles.. (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-wraith/527256-all-bushings-axles.html)

SouthernComfort 02-23-2015 08:39 PM

All bushings in axles..

Im thinking of going all bushings in the axles after I found a bad bearing on my wraith that I haven't had very long at all. And no its not the inner pinion bearing but an outer rear..

I run in wet and muddy stuff and or sand/dusty places so I'd be swapping bearings every week..

Planed on the pinion bushings so why not swap them all out.. not like I use it as a go fast rig anyways.. now the trans needs bearings as it spins faster..

Thoughts ?

altd896 02-23-2015 10:23 PM

Re: All bushings in axles..

I have the bushing on the pinion, more preventative than actual needing in my case I think.

My take on bushings everywhere else is both the bush & the shaft that's in it will always wear, yes the bush should wear faster & the shaft should still last well but it has to wear.
This doesn't bother me so much on the pinion because I know the gear set is wearing anyway.
A bearing however should contain all it's wear internally & not wear on the shaft at all (complete bearing failure & lock up excluded)

Just me but I see bearings & a little regular maintenance cheaper & easier than wearing on the shafts as well.

Eric0424 02-23-2015 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by altd896 (Post 5156003)
I have the bushing on the pinion, more preventative than actual needing in my case I think.

My take on bushings everywhere else is both the bush & the shaft that's in it will always wear, yes the bush should wear faster & the shaft should still last well but it has to wear.
This doesn't bother me so much on the pinion because I know the gear set is wearing anyway.
A bearing however should contain all it's wear internally & not wear on the shaft at all (complete bearing failure & lock up excluded)

Just me but I see bearings & a little regular maintenance cheaper & easier than wearing on the shafts as well.

Yeah, that. Plus, if you're running in sand, water, mud, silt and muck that will just hasten the wear. The fine grain-sand and silt dirt grinding between the shaft(s) and bushing(s) would be like taking some sandpaper to them.

The problem with the axles housing pinion bearing is it's just a little too weak for the axial (thrust) and radial (side) loads it's under. A larger bearing usually remedies the problem, but that requires a custom axle housing. The solid bushing in that location is a fix as well, but there's the added wear on the pinion gear shaft.

winnerone23 02-23-2015 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric0424 (Post 5156017)
A larger bearing usually remedies the problem, but that requires a custom axle housing.

Dlux modded stock housings.. Has a 13mm bearing [emoji106]

o0wiz0o 02-24-2015 02:43 AM

You were just unlucky. Stick with bearings. It's always wet/muddy where I live and play and have have not had to change a bearing yet. I do run bushings on the pinion though just because Harley said so. Haha.

SouthernComfort 02-24-2015 10:11 AM

Ok I will order a replacement and extras.. thanks.