Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Dig or 2-Speed trans?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2015, 07:42 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Dig or 2-Speed trans?

I have a wraith spawn that I do mostly trails and hill climbs with but I do get into some nice rocks out on the trails and was wondering if a dig trans or the rc4wd 2 speed trans would be more beneficial for this?
Wehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2015, 10:24 AM   #2

Default Re: Dig or 2-Speed trans?

I looked at the dig & couldn't really figure out what its purpose is or how often it would be useful but I have the 2 speed and wouldn't trade it for anything! Use it on every run too, so I may be biased...

With the spawn I did have to use a micro servo to preserve the interior & went through 3 Hitechs before finding an aluminum cased metal geared 50 oz in. one from Hobby People (I know...).
Cammmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 11:02 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammmo View Post
I looked at the dig & couldn't really figure out what its purpose is or how often it would be useful but I have the 2 speed and wouldn't trade it for anything! Use it on every run too, so I may be biased...

With the spawn I did have to use a micro servo to preserve the interior & went through 3 Hitechs before finding an aluminum cased metal geared 50 oz in. one from Hobby People (I know...).
The purpose of the dig unit is to allow tighter turns by either allowing the rear wheels to freewheel or lock. This thread has info on the Wraith Dig unit.
Updated:AX30793 Dig upgrade shipped. -- Turning Radius Measurements Posted.
k7zpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 01:16 PM   #4

OK, I get parts of it. No doubt the results are, I must say, impressive! What's the difference between 4x4 and dig locked? What would your response to the OP question be? I think I'd still go with the 2 speed, I don't think I'm hard core enough to appreciate the dig.

Last edited by Cammmo; 05-10-2015 at 01:21 PM.
Old 05-10-2015, 01:26 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:

Looks like the 2 speed is going to be more beneficial to my uses, do you happen to have a model or part number for that servo you use?
Old 05-10-2015, 01:51 PM   #6

No. 119221 (it's relatively expensive @$39.00). I had to enlarge the middle mounting holes to make it fit too. The only servo I found that fit w/o modification was the Hitech HS-55. It is a LOT cheaper too. You might want to try this one first. I'm not sure what the cause of my problems with the 3 Hitech servos was, I suspect the Spektrum receiver control pulse amplitude is to low at only 3V and the servos could not lock on to it. The motor would wander and fried the boards (or the motor).
Old 05-10-2015, 02:35 PM   #7
MODERATOR™

Quote:
What's the difference between 4x4 and dig locked?
Apparently you're not understanding? One is 4 wheel drive, the other is 2 wheel drive and the other axle is completely locked from MOVING.

Comparing a 2 speed transmission and a dig unit is like comparing two things that are so far from each other the typical night and day or apples to oranges comparison isn't good enough.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 05:37 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Dig also can help climbing a steep incline. Sometimes when it's too steep, the rear wheels' rotation can lift the front end, so leaving them free spinning can solve that. Also, going down a steep hill, you can lock the rear end, which can help.
That is in addition to the turning benefit.
Turtlejon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 06:48 PM   #9
RCC Addict

For what you want to do, you DO NOT need a dig unit. You would benefit from the 2 speed IF you put a faster motor/esc into it. If not, neither will do you much good at all.

Faster motor for speed and the low gear in the 2 speed for using the same motor for slow rock formation "farting around" moments.
redsawacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 06:50 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsawacs View Post
For what you want to do, you DO NOT need a dig unit. You would benefit from the 2 speed IF you put a faster motor/esc into it. If not, neither will do you much good at all.

Faster motor for speed and the low gear in the 2 speed for using the same motor for slow rock formation "farting around" moments.
Well I do have a trackstar 17.5t sensored brushless laying around. Hmmm....
Old 05-10-2015, 08:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post
Apparently you're not understanding? One is 4 wheel drive, the other is 2 wheel drive and the other axle is completely locked from MOVING.
Yes, I said I understood PARTS of it. Two outa 3 ain't bad....did not get the total locked part (it also makes no sense to me). Thanks for the explanation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post
Comparing a 2 speed transmission and a dig unit is like comparing two things that are so far from each other the typical night and day or apples to oranges comparison isn't good enough.
I think he understood they were different and unrelated, but thought, correctly, that he could only have one or the other and was wondering which was "best". Hence the inquiry for opinions.

Last edited by Cammmo; 05-10-2015 at 08:42 PM.
Old 05-10-2015, 09:31 PM   #12

Saw this on you tube... You can have both

https://youtu.be/6qzfgze9PBg
nahuebsch82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Dig or 2-Speed trans? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2 speed trans with dig. nelson92 Axial SCX-10 1 04-28-2014 07:16 PM
RC4WD two speed dig trans??? terrible Axial SCX-10 1 12-28-2009 07:40 PM