RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Axial Wraith (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-wraith/)
-   -   Wraith ESC Drag Brake (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-wraith/547695-wraith-esc-drag-brake.html)

AlphaDelta 10-23-2015 06:19 PM

Wraith ESC Drag Brake

Guys,

how is it going? i am new to the crawling world, and so far love it. A question i have and hopefully I am posting in right area, is that when i am on a steep incline or decline the Wraith keeps going without any throttle control, is this indicating ESC programming? also while on flat surface if I am going full throttle forward and hit reverse it doesnt just stop but coasts and wont reengage throttle until i put throttle mid way and than reengage.

any help would be appreciated.

So far I have replaced batteries in transmitter, and have a fully charged battery in the truck.

Thanks

Arslan D
Semper Fi

mikebecher 10-23-2015 07:12 PM

Re: Wraith ESC Drag Brake

This is the default behavior out of the box, and both are programmable on the ESC. Take a look at this Axial blog post on the AE-2 ESC. You'll want to refer specifically to sections 2. Drag Brake and 3. Brake / Reverse Type. I would recommend getting a CastleLink so you can adjust these settings via computer - it's much easier than doing it manually.

AlphaDelta 10-23-2015 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikebecher (Post 5318820)
This is the default behavior out of the box, and both are programmable on the ESC. Take a look at this Axial blog post on the AE-2 ESC. You'll want to refer specifically to sections 2. Drag Brake and 3. Brake / Reverse Type. I would recommend getting a CastleLink so you can adjust these settings via computer - it's much easier than doing it manually.

Mike,

Thank you for your response. I looked on Axials site and they indicate that the ESC by default is set up for 100% Drag brake, which to me would make sense because prior to today if i climbed with it it would not roll, and the throttle response was fine. You still bring a valid point maybe something got hosed up and now its not performing as previously. I will look into getting a CastleLink and go from there.

Thanks again

Arslan

0311 10-23-2015 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlphaDelta (Post 5318933)
Mike,

Thank you for your response. I looked on Axials site and they indicate that the ESC by default is set up for 100% Drag brake, which to me would make sense because prior to today if i climbed with it it would not roll, and the throttle response was fine. You still bring a valid point maybe something got hosed up and now its not performing as previously. I will look into getting a CastleLink and go from there.

Thanks again

Arslan

Check you're throttle trim on youre controler and make sure it is centerd.

mikebecher 10-24-2015 03:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 0311 (Post 5318964)

Yup, it might just be the throttle trim on the transmitter. On the AX-3 transmitter the throttle trim zero is at the 9:00 position. If that was OK try going through the throttle endpoint calibration again.

AlphaDelta 10-24-2015 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 0311 (Post 5318964)

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikebecher (Post 5318981)
Yup, it might just be the throttle trim on the transmitter. On the AX-3 transmitter the throttle trim zero is at the 9:00 position. If that was OK try going through the throttle endpoint calibration again.

Thanks guys. So i checked that as well, and its roughly at 9:00 on the transmitter. What is strange is i just tested the truck and it is functioning like normal. Only thing i can think of is when i ran through about 3'' of water and maybe sprayed the ESC as i know it is not waterproof. Will test further.

CrawlCrest 10-24-2015 10:17 AM

The stock esc is not waterproof!

mikebecher 10-24-2015 10:30 AM

Glad to hear it's working OK now. Water in the electronics can cause all sorts of problems. There are many threads on waterproofing and, IMO, conformal coating is the best if you can access the circuit board.

AlphaDelta 10-24-2015 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrawlCrest (Post 5319075)
The stock esc is not waterproof!

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikebecher (Post 5319078)
Glad to hear it's working OK now. Water in the electronics can cause all sorts of problems. There are many threads on waterproofing and, IMO, conformal coating is the best if you can access the circuit board.

Yeah i know that the AE-2 is not waterproof, might upgrade to the AE-5 as it is waterproof. Hopefully the AE-5 is a good choice?

Yeah i will use liquid tape or PCB Lacquer to waterproof it.

I have tried searching on here what would be a good upgrade to a wraith MOTOR/ESC, am i missing it somehwere? I want to stay brushed motor for sure.

LGrocks 10-24-2015 11:02 PM

Check out Harley's sticky in the Wraith forum about motor combos.

AlphaDelta 10-25-2015 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LGrocks (Post 5319364)
Check out Harley's sticky in the Wraith forum about motor combos.

Thanks, yeah i read through it very informative. I never realized how involved this hobby can get.

KEVLAR 10-25-2015 04:58 PM

I second getting a castle link. It is fun to tune the settings. I got a bunch of my stuff used, and after a few attempts at going through the settings without castle link, I will say it was 20 bucks well spent.

KEVLAR 10-25-2015 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KEVLAR (Post 5319680)
I second getting a castle link. It is fun to tune the settings. I got a bunch of my stuff used, and after a few attempts at going through the settings without castle link, I will say it was 20 bucks well spent.

I must specify I have a Castle MMP ESC, not sure how castle link will work with your ESC.

AlphaDelta 10-26-2015 02:59 PM

So I took the wraith completely apart and wanted to test just the motor on its own. And sure enough it acts the same way. So I installed a brand new battery never used issue was gone. I installed my previously used and recharged full battery issue came back. I have a HobbyWing 1060 ESC coming got it for $16