Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: RTR & kit why no pro builds?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2016, 07:29 AM   #1

Default RTR & kit why no pro builds?

Hi everyone.
UK RC newbie here.
Very much enjoying the info in these threads.
I'm keen to get myself a Wraith.
Info on this forum has left me wondering why comps like Axial don't offer higher spec builds?
I do see the fun in upgrading but it does take skill knowledge and experience and seems to result in wasted componants.
Also seems that upgrading in UK is much more difficult than US & Canada due to shipping cost/time and import duties.
Funds burning a hole in my pocket for a Wraith but it seems like a lot more expenditure is required to get the car to crawl as it should.

Karl.
Kaptastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2016, 11:04 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: RTR & kit why no pro builds?

I'm not sure why companies like Axial don't offer a higher spec RTR or kit. The Spawn kit has some nicer components so that may be an option for you to start. I would assume that because of the nature of this segment of the hobby, being able to massively customize a vehicle, that of a company offered a customized kit, people would want something else that what the kit offered. Hard for a company to anticipate the customizing desires of consumers.
I know when I bought my Wraith kit I ended up not using half of the upgrade parts that come with the kit. I would have been better off buying the RTR, selling the electronics for money to upgrade the rest. Would have possibly come out ahead and not a pile of parts I'm not going to use.
Most of the advise I saw was to buy the RTR and upgrade as you break things. But with you being in the UK, I can understand the difficulty in acquiring parts.
mikl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 11:36 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

What I dont understand, why isnt there a Axial wharehouse in europe as most other companies have so the final cost can be kept at a logic price. These import taxes and shipping costs are killing us, nearly doubles the cost of every thing you buy. Now upgrading is another story, thats triple the price and dont mention shipping time, only way out is China and thats crap, stuff from Usa is like buying gold, expensive. Best deal is buy the rtr have fun with it at soon as u get it and start upgrading as u break stuff, and u will break them believe me.
Upgrading and building is part of the fun in this hobby, no special skills required.
STRAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 11:38 AM   #4

There are parts available from ebay in uk but not same as recommended on here so doubt over quality.
It seems to me that Axial etc. are missing sales opportunities by not offering higher spec cars at higher prices though.
Old 03-12-2016, 01:18 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Question, could you get a shop to build you a more spec rtr in the sense and then ship it over?
TheBigRigger122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 01:43 PM   #6

I'm not sure. Are there shops in the US that do mods or builds for customers?
Old 03-13-2016, 11:37 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaptastic View Post
I'm not sure. Are there shops in the US that do mods or builds for customers?
Well Im not 100% but I feel like there has to be one. My local shop is CKRC and I can see them doing something like that.
TheBigRigger122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 08:32 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Why not buy an already built truck off ebay? Just contact the seller and help him out figuring international shipping. It would be way cheaper than paying fees for every part you order. I buy stuff from Europe regularly as I drive German cars and I prefer euro spec parts. I've talked several German sellers on ebay.DE to ship to me. I love building these things. If I were selling my wraith I'd ship it overseas

Last edited by cyberhog05; 03-15-2016 at 08:44 PM.
cyberhog05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 07:48 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Making the rig how you want it up to the end user. The main attraction to this hobby is building it yourself, working out the kinks, personalization of what YOU think a wraith should be. You can buy someone else's interpretation of a wraith, check the for sale section. But just like in the car scene, "built not bought" comes to mind. Plus if you have problems with breakage wouldn't you want to know how to work on your rig?
CrawlCrest is offline   Reply With Quote