Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Proline Slash rear PL shocks spring alternative.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2013, 01:07 AM   #1

Thumbs down Proline Slash rear PL shocks spring alternative.

Hello all,
Does anyone know of a substitute spring for the Prooline power stroke slash rear shocks. Need something as soft as the proline blue supersoft or green soft powerstoke replacement springs.
Just building three wraiths for me and my two kids. I've purchased Proline powestroke 606304 Slash rear shocks for all of them. These rigs will be heavy(8-10lbs) but the powestroke springs are too stiff. I can feel the rate is too stiff with my fingers and then I read that they are too stiff of a stock spring and have all kinds of mounting issues as wellI'm on my last bit of patients for unexpected problems and purchases on these rigs. I just read up on springs and proline is milking it like everyone else and only gives you two springs that you need in each kit. So, if I buy prolines springs, I will have to pay 90 bucks in springs.....
Thanks proline. Also I just read about all the mounting problems. Called proline when I was considering buying the shocks and they said all
I would need for mounting these on a wraith was the universal mounting kit. Hey Proline, it's OK to smoke pot at work but you just need to double check things or acctually know what your talking about....
So for all of you out there considering these or any other proline shocks for your wraith... Remember. It's 85$ for the full set of shocks, 12 dollars for a "universal" mounting kit that only gives you half the stuff you need, and then 30 dollars for springs, and then 10 bucks for a lower track ball solution... Not such a good deal.... That's close to $150.00 with tax. I'm in deep for sure and need an alternative cheaper spring solution or elase I'm going to sell these and get the Traxxis big bores with the white losi springs(only 35 a set and no mounting problems, and keep my proline purchases to accaesories.... Anyone want to buy some proline powerstrokes?
Willy Smellson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2013, 01:11 AM   #2

Default Re: Proline Slash rear PL shocks spring alternative.

Sorry Also forgot to add that I need a lower track ball solution as well, can I use the stock axial ones?
Old 05-01-2013, 03:45 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I mounted mine up with zero problems and with the universal mounting kit. You have to remember these shocks were intended to be run on a Traxxas Slash not a big heavy Wraith. My truck tips the scales at close to ten pounds and the springs for my crawling only wraith are great. If you are building three trucks I would be using the Traxxas big bores just to save the money for something else.

These are the ones I used the #6063-01's for front and rear.

Pita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:21 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

I didn't have any problems mounting mine. I agree its kinda stupid ti have to buy the mounting kit seperate. And yea I wish you could buy the individual springs instead of buying the whole kit. I would like some soft green springs for mine but don't feel like spending 30 bucks just for the one set I need
throttlejock27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:52 AM   #5

Thanks so much you guys!
Howerver I am still frustrated after looking all the parts over again. Straight up the black track ball/spacer in the bottom of the shock is too wide for the shock mount on the axle. Want me to take a picture of it? Did you mod the mounts? What am I missing here?
Does the track ball in the universal mounting kit go in there? I only see four of those. I thought it went in the top to fill the shock mounting hole.
If it goes in the bottom what fills the top? If it goes in the top as I thought it did then how did you fit an 8.5 mm track ball/spacer in a 7mm space(shock mount on wraith axle)? Force it? heat it? I suspect you guys are leaving out something... are you using any of the stock hardware in addition the the universal?
Old 05-01-2013, 05:07 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

I just used some stock axial balls I had laying around for the bottom and I filed them narrower until they fit. I have the rc4wd axles and they wouldnt fit until I filed them.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:45 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

All I did was reuse the ones from my stock shocks..pop them out and put them in the Pro-Lines.
Pita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:06 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pita View Post
All I did was reuse the ones from my stock shocks..pop them out and put them in the Pro-Lines.
Yes with stock axles they should fit no problem. The rc4wd mounts are narrower for some stupid reason
Old 05-01-2013, 11:25 AM   #9
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williy Smellson View Post
Thanks so much you guys!
Howerver I am still frustrated after looking all the parts over again. Straight up the black track ball/spacer in the bottom of the shock is too wide for the shock mount on the axle. Want me to take a picture of it? Did you mod the mounts? What am I missing here?
Does the track ball in the universal mounting kit go in there? I only see four of those. I thought it went in the top to fill the shock mounting hole.
If it goes in the bottom what fills the top? If it goes in the top as I thought it did then how did you fit an 8.5 mm track ball/spacer in a 7mm space(shock mount on wraith axle)? Force it? heat it? I suspect you guys are leaving out something... are you using any of the stock hardware in addition the the universal?

Not sure why you are having so many issues.

The only thing I bought for mine was the Dlux upper shock balls. The lower rod end I just spread the lower mount out on. It will fit, or swap out the ball for an Axial piece.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:42 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Should have bought King shocks, they are badass, bolt right on and look sooooooo sexy...but then again for the price...
tripsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:06 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripsix View Post
Should have bought King shocks, they are badass, bolt right on and look sooooooo sexy...but then again for the price...
I had the king shocks, yes they look cool but that's about it. The power strokes perform much better for crawling. And the power strokes are actually more money when you buy the mounting kit and oil but worth it.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:45 PM   #12

Thanks everyone!
I got it settled. Using the universal kit and my axial spare parts I mounted them just fine. I will stay committed to these shocks as to not loose any cash when selling them off. They have been on napkins since i filled them a week ago and they have not leaked a drop. I will be purchasing springs. If any one running these proline slash shocks wants to chime in with vehicle weights and what spring rate you have had success with. I'm not a basher so I'm looking for some sag... As for Proline, Credit back to them. This shock set IS meant for another vehicle... However they are still guilty of over grouping product(spring assortments) to sell more for more, and forcing you to buy something you don't need in order to get something that you do need.
Ribbon of Shame.....
Old 05-10-2013, 09:12 AM   #13

Im interested to buy a set of the powerstroke rears, can anyone tell me what some of the dimensions are:

Length from eye to eye;
stroke travel;
piston diameter;
will the wraith piston mount to the shaft.

Cheers :-)
JK HammerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:42 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williy Smellson View Post
Thanks everyone!
I got it settled. Using the universal kit and my axial spare parts I mounted them just fine. I will stay committed to these shocks as to not loose any cash when selling them off. They have been on napkins since i filled them a week ago and they have not leaked a drop. I will be purchasing springs. If any one running these proline slash shocks wants to chime in with vehicle weights and what spring rate you have had success with. I'm not a basher so I'm looking for some sag... As for Proline, Credit back to them. This shock set IS meant for another vehicle... However they are still guilty of over grouping product(spring assortments) to sell more for more, and forcing you to buy something you don't need in order to get something that you do need.
Ribbon of Shame.....
I disagree....the shocks you are trying to use are for a shortcourse truck, the spring kit is for fine tuning a slash, not a wraith. You need a good assortment of springs to dial in SC truck so the spring kit makes perfect sense. If you wanted plug and play parts, stick with parts that are made just for a wraith!
Anyways i run the proline short powerstrokes on my wraith, they bolted on the same as a stock shock with the hardware kit. I bought the tuning kits ahead of time because i knew that the stock springs would be WAY too stiff. Im running the softest springs in the rear and the next softest up front.
dittohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 07:37 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

How are the proline scaler shocks?
Jwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 08:00 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

When I had my Wraith a couple years back, I used as my Class 3 rig, fr & rr steer about 8.5 lbs. I used the Proline Slash FR shocks on all 4 corners, I didn't want the rig all jacked up with the longer shocks.

I used 25wt oil & stock springs and had all the articulation I needed for comps & trail runs. They work awesome in a crawling application.
gdb85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 08:43 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Wraith springs and buckets. Chuck the dual stage shit.

Can run damn near any spring on this shock

evan03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 07:47 AM   #18
RCC Addict

I'm interested to hear what people have found works with these shocks over the years. I'm really enjoying mine but g for more tuning. I have some springs coming but wonder if others are using different springs, dropping the dual spring and weights people have played with.
TAT76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 01:46 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

I run the rears with the Gmade green (soft) 70mm springs. Just a little softer than the PL super softs.
DeviledEggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 04:34 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttlejock27 View Post
I just used some stock axial balls I had laying around for the bottom and I filed them narrower until they fit. I have the rc4wd axles and they wouldnt fit until I filed them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
Not sure why you are having so many issues.

The only thing I bought for mine was the Dlux upper shock balls. The lower rod end I just spread the lower mount out on. It will fit, or swap out the ball for an Axial piece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dittohead View Post
...the shocks you are trying to use are for a shortcourse truck, the spring kit is for fine tuning a slash, not a wraith. You need a good assortment of springs to dial in SC truck so the spring kit makes perfect sense. If you wanted plug and play parts, stick with parts that are made just for a wraith!
Anyways i run the proline short powerstrokes on my wraith, they bolted on the same as a stock shock with the hardware kit. I bought the tuning kits ahead of time because i knew that the stock springs would be WAY too stiff. Im running the softest springs in the rear and the next softest up front.
Agreed, should mount up with little to no mods whether using the front or rear Pro-Line Powerstrokes, a full set of upper and lower springs is nice to get it all dialed in just perfect.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote