Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: Bogfrog's XR10

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2011, 01:02 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Bogfrog's XR10

Updated Pic:

BUILD UP STARTS HERE:
Well mine is still on it's way from Calgary Canada. I have a few pics from the add in the For Sale section on here that I got it from, basically it is a brand new kit mostly assembled but the wiring has yet to be done it is coming with the motors pictured but I'm un-sure what they are? also has a HS-645MG servo (way too small). also a Lipo battery, a Novak ESC of some discription? a lipo charger and the remainder of the kit. Anyway here's a few pics of the rig to start:

While I've been waiting patiently for this to arrive I've been collecting all the parts for the build I still need to get a few more bits such as 2x Tekin FXR ESC's and a Spektrum SR3100 RX and maybe a couple of different pinions? but thats basically it here are some of the parts that I have collected and will be using on this rig:

PARTS SO FAR:

Holmes Hobbies TorqueMaster Pro 540 / 35T x2 (Tested & Dyno-ed Matched Pair) -0- Timming.

This is a secondhand Tekin FXR I have but will be buying two new ones for this Rig.

wantAsummit Dual ESC Adapter with proportional Dig for the DX3R

Castle Creations BEC

and finally a Hitec HS-7950TH steering servo

Thats it for now, as said I still need an RX, two ESC's and maybe a Y harness if run my BEC directly to my servo? I really can't wait to start putting this thing together, I will keep you posted as I progress

Thanks For Looking. Robb.

Last edited by bogfrog; 03-31-2011 at 03:22 AM.
bogfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2011, 02:44 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Just ordered two Tekin FXR's From Holmes Hobbies, John always looks after his customers and his prices shipped to AUS are $70-$100 AUS cheaper than here plus no-one has them in stock in Australia and won't have 'til the end of the month and I can't wait that long!

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showt...63#post2898963
Old 02-14-2011, 01:06 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

No big updates I just got my Dual Tekin FXR's from Holmes Hobbies so the Parts collection for this thing is nearing the end all I need now is the Spektrum SR3100 RX but I'm still waiting for the XR10 to arrive seems it took Ten Days to leave Canada for some reason? hope it gets here this week as I'm on holidays at home and would love to start this build asap! anyway I will just have to sit and wait I guess?

Dual Tekin FXR's

Robb.
Old 02-14-2011, 12:28 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Wow, looks like you are ready to do work! Hope your XR shows up soon!
NMLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 12:33 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Are you planning on changing the tires? Imo, I would. All the tires that are good on the market these day boast better ground clearence. Just my .02. The rig looks good and it looks like you got all need to make it a great comp rig.
Jeepkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:20 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMLJ View Post
Wow, looks like you are ready to do work! Hope your XR shows up soon!
Yeah Thanks NMLJ it should be a good combo but still waiting for this XR10 and its killing me, I'm so eager to get started but the post box is empty again today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepkid View Post
Are you planning on changing the tires? Imo, I would. All the tires that are good on the market these day boast better ground clearence. Just my .02. The rig looks good and it looks like you got all need to make it a great comp rig.
Yes Jeepkid I will be I'm still tossing up what tyres I want to run on it, I'm running HB Rover Whites with Nova Foams on my Losi Comp Crawler and Love 'em but I think I'll try either the Losi Boss Claws (but the height is not great with these either) or maybe the HB Sedona's but first I'll probably just steel the Rovers from my Comp Crawler until I descide which way I want to go. Any suggestions?

This is my third crawler and after researching alot on here this is what I have come to the conclusion as being the best set up (appart from buying a 4PK) I like my DX3R so I've descided to stick with that, but everything else should work well? their all quality parts and all new from the get go so here's hoping for a good Comp Rig?

Cheers Robb.

Last edited by bogfrog; 02-14-2011 at 08:33 PM.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:42 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

The Boss Claws are shorter, but the traction and the improved sidehilling more than makes up for it
Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:19 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Cheers Harvo this is why I'm concidering them just wish they made them in a 5.5" or Bigger then I'd be SOLD if I go with these i'll just have to get me some high clearance links to keep the belly drag to a minimum?

Last edited by bogfrog; 02-15-2011 at 06:51 PM.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:45 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Well after just over 2 months wait the XR10 has finally arrived!!!!!!! I just about gave up and the other day the tracking notified me it was in Aust so I've been rushing home every day this week to check the letter box and yesterday it finally came.
Here are some pics:

I couldn't wait to start playing with it now that I have all the parts here to start putting this thing together!

A few final bits to add to this build!

Here's where I got up to tonight!
First I had to try it with the HB Rovers I got, just to see what it looked like!

Then I got a little more serious I pulled the front axle down and fitted my Hot Racing CNC HD Gear set (Front only) at this stage, while I was there I double checked every screw to make sure it was correct as I have read plenty about the wrong screws in wrong places causeing bearing failure on these so just to make sure and be safe. I also fitted the front HH torquemaster 35T motor and 14T pinion then set the pinion mesh and greased everything inside the gear case.

Then I fitted up my Hitec 7950TH Steering servo and the Rowdy Racing servo guard that I won on here as well as the topless Battery plate I got from Rowdy just to try my 1300 mAh 3S battery for size? :think:

and this is as far as I got before i packed it in for the night but tomorrow I'll make a start on the rear end then i can get into some wiring!
I will update as I progress further, I hope you enjoy? i know I am at the moment!
Cheers Robb.

Last edited by bogfrog; 03-24-2011 at 05:48 AM.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:56 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Looking good, keep it up and get that thing out on the rocks.
ROWDY RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 06:02 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROWDY RACING View Post
Looking good, keep it up and get that thing out on the rocks.
Thanks Rowdy! Will do!
I am so happy to finally be starting this build! Thank you also for the Parts you sent me they are the absolute Shiz!

Robb.

Last edited by bogfrog; 03-24-2011 at 06:08 AM.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:12 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Nothing like doing it all at one time. Me, I buy one thing at a time. It is easier to hide from my wife that way.

Wes
brazwewn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 03:27 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Default XR10 All wired up!

Well I kept at it over the weekend, I stripped the rear axle down same as I did with the front and checked it all etc...then reassembled it and greased it all up as well, then I got onto the wiring!
First I fitted all my ESC's, BEC, Dig and Switches up to the electronics tray, I fitted the RX and wantAsummit dig together in the stock waterproof/sealed electronics box. I then removed the rear esc's red wire so that only the front ESC runs the RX, Next I made up a adaptor harness for the steering so I can still program the Servo later if needed? and also one for the BEC for the same reason, it's all plug'n'play and works beautifully! and makes for a much neater and user friendly job! I mounted my ESC switches in the front slots in the Stock electronics tray, I just docked the (off) end of the switch and used my reamer to make two small holes for the screw to start in, I had to space them up a little higher with two servo mount spacers so as they didn't affect the front link movement when the tray was back in place in the Chassis.

Next I wired all the Battery and Motor wiring as neat as I could? before inserting it back into the rig for the final soldering of the Motor ends.

Then I fitted it all back into place in the Chassis.

I ended up swapping the rear motor wires as it ran the wrong way! I was told that the end-bell had been reversed so I should connect it as normal but it didn't work correctly so I swapped it back around and ran the rear wires lower for a cleaner look!
Here's the finished product with all ESC settings done and wantAsummit dig set to up as well!

I've really enjoyed putting this thing together. It was alot of fun! and I tried my absolute hardest to do the neatest job possible on it? and in the end I am very happy with the final result.
There is still one thing I need to work out? and that is: it has heaps of power in reverse but less forwards? any help would be great! I am still using my DX3R as pictured, both Tekin FXR ESC's are set the same for all of the settings as well, so I'm not sure? I may need the Tekin hotwire to sort it out? but i'll keep looking/researching 'til I work it out unless someone else comes up with the answer first?
Cheers and thanks for looking!
Robb.

Last edited by bogfrog; 03-28-2011 at 04:06 AM.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:28 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Might need to adjust your throttle end points on the ESC's, or calibrate them.
dabbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 09:00 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

You need to set the end points on the esc through the wantamix.

I know you have it all tucked in nice but do this.

Open it up and plug 1 esc into wantamix and follow Tekin setup to set throttle endpoints.

Unplug that esc and plug in other esc and do the same thing, then put it all back together.

Endpoints must be set through the adapter and not direct to the rx.

Also double check your radio to be sure you don't have epa's turned down.
AZrcdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 11:48 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZrcdriver View Post
You need to set the end points on the esc through the wantamix.

I know you have it all tucked in nice but do this.

Open it up and plug 1 esc into wantamix and follow Tekin setup to set throttle endpoints.

Unplug that esc and plug in other esc and do the same thing, then put it all back together.

Endpoints must be set through the adapter and not direct to the rx.

Also double check your radio to be sure you don't have epa's turned down.
Cheers AZ,
I'll give this a try when I get home and see if it helps?
I originally set the EPA's with the WAS connected but to both ESC's and I went thru each setting on the ESC's one at a time, first the front ESC then the rear and then onto the next setting etc...until they were all set, but i'll re-do them individually and see hopefully it sorts it out. Cheers and i'll keep you posted on the outcome.

Robb.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:53 AM   #17
Pebble Pounder

I got it sorted, I had to re-calibrate the TX and the re-program my ESC's thru the wantAsummit Adapter individually, now she flies (Wheel stands). I'm still fine tuning the proportional (middle pot) on the WAS Adapter as it holds the drag brake on one or the other ESC very slightly depending which way you are going, but I think i'll drop my Drag Brake setting down one to a slightly less aggressive setting? this should help as I'm on the most aggressive one now!
I am loving this thing it's sooooooooooo much fun to drive!

Can't wait to try it out on the rocks soon.

Robb
Old 03-31-2011, 03:36 AM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Took it out for an hour tonight after work, What a blast to drive! I'm still fine tuning the WAS Adapter, I need to trim the middle pot a little more towards the front as I have too much push from the rear and not enough pull up front but the proportional option is great for climbing etc... and I love that I can click straight back to 50/50 4WD it works great! Thanks Greg (wantAsummit) for this wonderful piece of awsome-ness!

A few pics out on the rocks from today:

Back to tuning!

Robb.
Old 05-14-2011, 08:48 AM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Been loving crawling this thing, it performs perfectly! but I ran into bearing trouble sooner that I thought, 2 of the three flanged bearings collapsed completely so I have just ordered th VP brass bushings for the time being but will have to look at the upgrades when cash permits maybe VP motor plates and cases? either that or the RC4wd bearing upgrade kit with the delrin cases.

Here's what my stock front bearings look like after only a few crawls!

While I'm here what are people using to lubricate their bearings?