Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: I had to ask!!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2011, 08:47 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default I had to ask!!!!!

OK, so for the last couple months I have been reading about the Mantis builds,,,,love the looks of the chassis and ended up getting one. I haven't started the build yet and now all of the sudden,,,I'm not hearing anything about it!!
In fact,,,,Some of the build threads I have been going through,,,there rigs are showing up in the for sale section??? So what gives?? Have people given up on this chassis? Starting to wonder if I should invest the time and money into the build or go back to a more conventional type chassis!!

Is there anyone out there who has built this chassis, and got it tuned to there liking to be competitive? I would love to hear some updates from anyone who has been running this chassis!!!!!

Thanks
mgauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2011, 09:02 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

A buddy of mine. Actually a few guys I know have the mantis chassis. They love it. I've heard nothing but good from them. I think the reason you aren't seeing or hearing much about the mantis anymore is more than likely something new is on the near horizon. That's my best guess. Don't let it steal your ambition. Get the build going. I'm sure you'll love it once you're done.
inkdaddy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 10:18 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Torsion chassis are tough to get built and set up right. A lot of people give up before they get there.
Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 10:28 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I have seen two here localy, but only one in action by a guy who pretty much ran it untested. The rear clearance on this chassis is amazing, it climbed some pretty crazy stuff. But like Harvo said about the set up....what do you do with a chassis with no rear shocks....lots of testing and trial and error.
BLKXJ 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 10:57 PM   #5
Its a HARDKNOCKZ Life...

They are VERY different setups for sure. As stated above...you really have to get that chassis to someone who knows how to tune a rig well. Someone with a LOT of time to run battery after battery & just do TONS of test & tune to get a good basic setup that works well in ALL aspects.

We have a cat in our club running one but he's pretty fresh so the rig doesn't work all that well for him. I messed with it a little & can see the potential but again...it'll take some time to get it working to it's full potential.

Don at BWD just released a 4 link chassis so I think the majority of his drivers went that route which is why you're probably not seeing the build threads being updated lately.

I actually have a 1.9 version of the Mantis & it's the same deal. I had to break it down & rebuild my Mini Juice because I didn't have the time to commit to learning that chassis before our season opener. But the potential IS there.

If you have the time...I think the Mantis is a capable chassis once you figure some things out. It'll just take some test & tune on your part.

Good luck.

JD
HARDKNOCKZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 12:31 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Appreciate the responses all,,,,guess I will give a go for this year and see what happens!!
Old 11-07-2011, 12:46 PM   #7
TSK
Shelf queen

I would try running it heavy with wheels weightt (front & rear) first, to allow the torsion portion of the design to break in faster. Then once it loosens up, lose the weight and start really fine tunning it.

The OG sss & the second sss-R torsion chassis that Don produced both worked well, but the chassis definitely needed to be broken in before you could predicatbly tune it.

Alot of it also comes down to driving style. Torsion chassis setups benefit greatly from smooth, controlled driving technique. if you like to peg the throttle all the time and power out of every bind, a torsion rig will bite back and get you into serious trouble.

Last edited by TSK; 11-07-2011 at 01:57 PM.
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 01:29 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSCorpionKing View Post
I would try running it heavy with wheels weightt (front & rear) first, to allow the torsion portion of the desig nto break in faster. then once it loosens up, lose the weight and strat really fine tunning it.

The OG sss & the second sss-R torsion chassis that Don produced both worked weell, but the chassis definitely needed to be broken in before you could predicatbly tune it.

Alot of it also comes down to driving style. Torsion chassis seetups benefit greatly from smooth, controlled driving technique. if you like to peg the throttle all the time and power out of every bind, a torsion rig will bite back and get you into serious trouble.
Right on the money here SK.

The Mantis is a performer and is still working very well. A lot of the Mantis customers that are running and loving them also happen to mostly be non posters here on RCC. I'm still running it and love it. Any delrin torsion chassis requires break in to work properly. While the Mantis isn't for everyone (no different than every other chassis), it is still a great setup that a lot of guys are having good success.

If you have any specific questions I'm happy to answer them and perhaps some other Mantis drivers that are still using them with success will post up. I get a ton of positive emails regarding them just fyi.
billet works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 01:36 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Torsion is not newb friendly, trust me I tried a torsion for my first chassis and that was a huge mistake. They really act strange and getting them to work is pretty tough if your new to the hobby. I almost quite after many frustrating comps, but I made it through those growing pains. Now I been in the game for awhile Im looking at tackling a torsion chassis setup in the near future.
DRCrawlGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 01:58 PM   #10
TSK
Shelf queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by billet works View Post
Right on the money here SK.

The Mantis is a performer and is still working very well. A lot of the Mantis customers that are running and loving them also happen to mostly be non posters here on RCC. I'm still running it and love it. Any delrin torsion chassis requires break in to work properly. While the Mantis isn't for everyone (no different than every other chassis), it is still a great setup that a lot of guys are having good success.

If you have any specific questions I'm happy to answer them and perhaps some other Mantis drivers that are still using them with success will post up. I get a ton of positive emails regarding them just fyi.
I really need to proof read before posting.
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 02:27 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Thanks again!! I have been reading all the build threads I can,,,,and have ordered the parts to weight the axles down,,,VP Knuckles for the front and rear weights so I will try and set it up best I can from all the threads to start!!
I will defiantly run it through 2012 and give it a chance,,,,I REALLY want it to work!!!!
So thanks for the help and I'm sure I will run back and ask if I get stuck in my setup!!

Thanks

Mike
Old 11-07-2011, 04:39 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

There's good advice here on tuning with weights front and rear.

As a Mantis owner, I will say don't feel like you need to take out too many chassis braces trying to overcompensate for the torsion. I started with both rear chassis braces out and when I *reluctantly* put one back in (so only the rear-most brace is removed) it was a huge improvement. I say "reluctantly" because I was under the impression that I really needed to have both removed to make the chassis flex properly.

I have a BJV4 rig to compare to now so tuning the Mantis (and vice versa) should be a lot easier. The BJV4 can crawl up some really slick, vertical rock and that's where I want the Mantis at...but any more tuning will have to wait until after Fall/Winter unfortunately.
Omega-Tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 04:44 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

FYI, my personal preference is to keep the furthest rear brace intalled. You get more axle steer when articulating without it. I run my 2nd and 3rd braces out currently.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:09 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
FYI, my personal preference is to keep the furthest rear brace intalled. You get more axle steer when articulating without it. I run my 2nd and 3rd braces out currently.
You were running with just the rear-most brace removed a few months ago weren't you? Now I'm anxious to see what adjusting the other chassis braces will do; thanks for the tip.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:24 PM   #15
5th D Owner/Driver

Quote:
Isnt the 3rd brace the one the cab connects to?
cboggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:19 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

yup, I swapped the brace for 2 3mm lock nuts
Old 11-09-2011, 11:29 AM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Hey Don,

Do you mind sharing what weight you're running on your axles/in your wheels? or even just a ball-park figure for what you would recommend?
Old 11-09-2011, 01:24 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

X2,,,along with the upper link position, where I should start at!! PLEASE!!

Also,,,what length shocks was this chassis set up for? I know the stock shocks are 4 1/2 and I have the big bores, no shock cap mod and there 4".

Thanks again