Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: XR10 Shock springs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2011, 09:14 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default XR10 Shock springs

Hey everyone. I'd like to get some advice on the best shock springs for the XR10. The stock springs just feel a little too firm and bouncy (I'm only set at about 4mm of preload, almost none) I'm not sure I dig the way they feel or if they are allowing maximum articulation. Any advice on the best springs to use? Also does anyone use the mounting points on the front lower links versus mounting direct to the axle points? Is there any benefit to that? My focus is, of course, comp crawling. I appreciate the help.
DiggyStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2011, 10:18 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

I have Losi golds ft and rr with stock shocks. Axial blacks would be a great choice also. Good luck and enjoy!!!
losiking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 11:33 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by losiking1 View Post
I have Losi golds ft and rr with stock shocks. Axial blacks would be a great choice also. Good luck and enjoy!!!
So you can use the Losi gold springs with the stock Axial shocks that come with the XR10? Those are a 1.40 lb/in rate, if I'm not mistaken. I believe the stock Axials are the "Red" which is a 1.32 lb/in rate. The Axial blacks are 1.04 lb/in, so those should be the softest I'd imagine.

How about oil weights? I think the Axial stock oil is 30wt. Does anyone have any thoughts/considerations about shock oil as well?
Old 11-27-2011, 01:59 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I believe the stock xr10 springs are closer to 1.7 or something like that. I'm running losi gold up front and losi whites rear. They are a bit loose on the spring cups but not a big deal. I haven't seen anyone use the shock mount holes on the links.

Sent from my uber smart, smart phone....
asian195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 02:31 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by asian195 View Post
I believe the stock xr10 springs are closer to 1.7 or something like that. I'm running losi gold up front and losi whites rear. They are a bit loose on the spring cups but not a big deal. I haven't seen anyone use the shock mount holes on the links.

Sent from my uber smart, smart phone....
Thanks for the feedback Asian! I haven't either, but I had seen a picture of Brandon Coonce's XR on the forum under "XR10 Picture archive". I think it was the very first pic. In the picture he has his mounted on the links and it just had me curious. Thanks again.
Anyone else have any thoughts on it?
Old 11-27-2011, 05:12 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

I would suggest looking at the axial team drivers spec sheets. and grab a set of springs they're using
johnnie walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 06:06 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

I ran Losi golds on stock XR shocks for a while and they worked far better than the stock springs, and had no problems with the XR shocks or springs. Limiting the shock travel helped a lot too and seemed to make the truck a little more predictable. I switched to Traxxas big bores with Losi mini t springs....I like this set up best so far.

Last edited by BLKXJ 96; 11-27-2011 at 06:12 PM.
BLKXJ 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 07:52 PM   #8
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiggyStyle View Post
So you can use the Losi gold springs with the stock Axial shocks that come with the XR10? Those are a 1.40 lb/in rate, if I'm not mistaken. I believe the stock Axials are the "Red" which is a 1.32 lb/in rate. The Axial blacks are 1.04 lb/in, so those should be the softest I'd imagine.
Different companies rate their springs differently. When I was digging around for springs I looked at Axials numbers compared to Losi. When I compressed a gold with one finger down it felt softer then a Axial Red. Primitive way of checking but you can feel the difference.

Even an Axial black that says 1.04 feels stiffer then a Losi gold 1.4 so its difficult to compare company A to company B when it comes to springs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnie walker View Post
I would suggest looking at the axial team drivers spec sheets. and grab a set of springs they're using
x2 if your looking to stick with Axial shocks/springs.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 07:57 PM   #9
D-Wray 4 Prez!

With Axial shocks and 30wt oil. Losi Golds all around is my vote.
Frankenwheely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 05:40 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
Different companies rate their springs differently. When I was digging around for springs I looked at Axials numbers compared to Losi. When I compressed a gold with one finger down it felt softer then a Axial Red. Primitive way of checking but you can feel the difference.

Even an Axial black that says 1.04 feels stiffer then a Losi gold 1.4 so its difficult to compare company A to company B when it comes to springs.

x2 if your looking to stick with Axial shocks/springs.
That's good info! It's true, you can't always trust the numbers from company to company. I'm gonna give the Losi golds a try first, after that, I may try the Traxxas big bores. Thanks for all the good advice guys!
Old 11-28-2011, 05:52 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKXJ 96 View Post
I ran Losi golds on stock XR shocks for a while and they worked far better than the stock springs, and had no problems with the XR shocks or springs. Limiting the shock travel helped a lot too and seemed to make the truck a little more predictable. I switched to Traxxas big bores with Losi mini t springs....I like this set up best so far.
How much did you limit the stock shocks? What technique did you use to limit them?
Old 11-28-2011, 06:10 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

You should have a variety of spacers on your shock parts tree. You need to pull your shocks apart and install an appropriate amount of spacers on the shock shafts under the pistons to limit them to roughly 4" eye to eye. Hope this helps.
Old 11-28-2011, 06:12 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

i havent limited my shocks yet. i plan on it, just doing other mods first. i believe most limit about 5mm. correct me if im wrong, please. you could use a hollow plastic spacer on the shock shaft inside the shock body. i think some have used rubber tubing also.
asian195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 06:48 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiggyStyle View Post
How much did you limit the stock shocks? What technique did you use to limit them?

I limited mine using fuel tube and just took the rod end off and slid it on the shock shaft. This way I can change it up as many times as I want with out rebuilding the shocks a million times. The amount you limit your shocks and the way you limit your shocks, depends on what chassis your using, and the way you drive your rig, and the way "you" like it to handle. I like mine set up so it articulates with about 4.5 inches under the front wheel.
BLKXJ 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 06:55 PM   #15
Custom Carbon Fiber

I use these when setting up a truck.

7031 Up-Travel Limiter Clips

Snap on easy and good way to figure out what works while testing without having to tear your shocks down every time.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 07:39 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Agreed, those clips are great. But the stock shocks are too long imo. I ran them without internal spacers (almost 4 1/2" eye to eye) and limited internally to 4". The truck feels more planted and predictable this way.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:27 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Whatever you decide on I suggest softer springs on the rear than the front. The XRs just seem to work better that way IMO.
Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 02:48 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

Snap on easy and good way to figure out what works while testing without having to tear your shocks down every time.
That's an awesome idea!
Old 11-29-2011, 02:51 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

That's an Associated shock isn't it? Like from a T3? Do you use that on your XR10? I've run RC10T's for years, I may have a few around I could try. To be honest, they look like VERY similar to the Traxxas big bores.

(btw, in the above picture, the black plastic 'spring retainer' ring located at the top of the shock body is upside down, part of it should go down inside the end of the spring and lay flat over the top of the spring to sit against the preload clips that you can add. not sure if it's a huge deal, but just an observation).

Last edited by DiggyStyle; 11-29-2011 at 02:56 PM.