Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: mdchris "thing" build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2011, 10:56 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default mdchris "thing" build

Well figured I might as well just get this thread started, I have everything ordered to start my build and now on to the worst part, waiting for it all to get here, 2-3 weeks probably. Can't wait to put up some pics once things start arriving.

- xr10 kit
- BWD "the thing" black chassis and topper, no links
- will be making home made stainless links
- dual mamba micro pros
- ccbec
- HH 20t crawlmasters
- 9mm bearing mod in motor plates + traxxas bushings, shimmed spool bearings.
- hitech 7955tg for now (stealing off my LCC until i get a 7950 later)
- VP knuckles (so i can get knuckle weights later)
- plan to make a stainless tie rod
- plan to make an alum. servo guard
- DLUX wheels, .7" front, 1" rear, with sedonas and dbl deuce foams
- futaba 4pl (already have)

Still need to order hubs to use with the DLUX wheels for it, they were originally ordered for my LCC but now that the xr10 build under way i'm gonna use them for it instead.

Trying to keep this a reasonably budget minded build, but spending money on key components that I don't want to replace later, like the micro pros and crawlmasters.

Gonna be hard to wait until xmas (when i'm technically supposed to get this stuff), but i have 2 weeks off right after xmas so lots of time for the build!

Last edited by mdchris; 12-03-2011 at 11:16 PM.
mdchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-2011, 11:02 PM   #2
RCC Addict

glad to see ya order the thing. looking forward to seeing how this build goes
Kratos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 11:06 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Yep made up my mind and put in the order about 15 minutes after reading your build thread
Old 12-03-2011, 11:08 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdchris View Post
Yep made up my mind and put in the order about 15 minutes after reading your build thread
glad i could help. if ya have any questions feel free to ask
Old 12-03-2011, 11:19 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Actually there is one thing I could use from anybody willing to do a canuck a favor...

mcmaster-carr won't ship to Canada apparently Does anybody have a pack of the brass threaded inserts they'd be willing to sell me? Or could spare the amount i'd need for doing 2 axles? I'd really appreciate it!
Old 12-03-2011, 11:24 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Actually there is one thing I could use from anybody willing to do a canuck a favor...

mcmaster-carr won't ship to Canada apparently Does anybody have a pack of the brass threaded inserts they'd be willing to sell me? Or could spare the amount i'd need for doing 2 axles? I'd really appreciate it!
sorry dont have that
Old 12-03-2011, 11:35 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Look forward to seeing the progression of your build.
limited77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 07:05 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Not much update yet, still feeling the pain of living up north and having to wait 2-3 weeks for delivery from the US

I did decide to just get the Thing links from BWD instead of making my own, as the ones I would make would be stainless so weigh a lot more. I'll still be making a tie rod and drag link.
Old 12-07-2011, 05:30 PM   #9
Try to Bend it

Nice. Looking forward to where you take this.
Highlucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:37 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Might have to pick up a set of these so I can play in the back yard until the snow melts! I do have a set of rock claws to cut the sidewalls from...

Old 12-08-2011, 11:32 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Might have to pick up a set of these so I can play in the back yard until the snow melts! I do have a set of rock claws to cut the sidewalls from...

lol interesting. if ya do make sure to post video
Old 12-10-2011, 10:38 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Bit of progress tonight. The kit finally arrived on thursday so I figured I would get the axles and shocks assembled. Couldn't assemble the trans for either axle because my 9mm bearings haven't arrived yet.

For the front axle I took the dremel to it and removed the slot for the 3-link tie rod.

I added 2 layers of foil tape to shim up the spool bearings on the bottom half of the housing, did this in both axles but only got a pic of the rear.

Both axles ready for their respective trans to be bolted up. They're both all stock except for the VP knuckles. I'll be putting on VP lockouts later for the rear.

And a boring pic of the assembled shocks. I just used the 2 hole pistons in them for now and the long rod ends that the manual specified.

Next up will likely be the rims/wheels as they'll be the next parts to arrive. Once my 9mm bearings get here i'll do the 9mm mod and then get the trannies bolted up. Then just waiting for my chassis.
Old 12-11-2011, 06:01 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

What do the foil shims do? First time I have seen that.

It looks like you are using the rubber grommets in your shock ends. They work but cause some binding. One of the plastic parts trees in the kit has 4 ball mounts that fit perfectly in the shock end and work better than the rubber things.
Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 06:49 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Ah thanks, I figured there was going to be something better.

I read in an axle build thread somewhere that there was a bit of play in the spool bearings so it allowed the spool gear to push away from the transmission gear it meshes with. By putting a couple layers of foil tape under the spool bearings on the bottom half of the housing it takes away any room for slop that there was for the bearings preventing the spool gear from pushing away
Old 12-30-2011, 09:58 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: mdchris "thing" build

Well i've been waiting and waiting but I finally have everything I need to get the assembly under way. Only missing my crawlmasters now.

Man, this is one narrow chassis, talk about throwing myself in to the deep end for my first moa wiring job I'm pretty handy with a soldering iron so i'm not too worried.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:46 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Well i've been waiting and waiting but I finally have everything I need to get the assembly under way. Only missing my crawlmasters now.

Man, this is one narrow chassis, talk about throwing myself in to the deep end for my first moa wiring job I'm pretty handy with a soldering iron so i'm not too worried.
lol its not too bad. depending on where your mounting the battery the skid could hold all electronics laying flat, kinda like mine
Old 12-31-2011, 07:27 AM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Ya i'm planning on a front axle mount for the battery so i'll be using the whole skid for the electronics
Old 01-02-2012, 10:49 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Finally some real progress tonight! I spent last night getting the chassis together and then fought with the damn shocks for WAY to long. What a pain in the butt those things are. The bladders they come with are way to thick on the edges and pop inside the shock body far to easily. Junk. I swapped all 4 bladders out with a set of spare bladders I have for my stock slash shocks and that problem completely disappeared. I also vented the caps which made getting an even rebound much easier (and less rebound). All of the VP stuff installed on the axles, will probably eventually get rear lockouts and front/rear link mounts as well.

When I was putting the links together it took a few trial and error attempts with straight vs angled ends but I think I have it worked out now. The lower links front and back have angled ends all around, and the front links have straight ends all around. Everything seemed to go together pretty good. The only thing that would have been nice is if the angled axial ends were smoother, the ball ends seem to have a lot more resistance than the revo ends I generally use, and they don't have nearly as much travel before they bind either. That seems to be true of every ball end in the whole kit. Is this the same straight vs angled link end setup other guys are using?

The chassis kit came with 2 different widths of spacers. I used the wide spacers for the shocks, and the narrow spacers I tried out on the upper rear links, but on the upper front links I tried with no spacers. Seems to be fine either way so i'll see if that changes once electronics and motors are in there. What are other guys with this chassis using and how does it work for you?

I made up a steering link from 3/16 SS with jato rod ends and revo balls. I used the jato ends because you can thread almost 2x as much of the link in to them as with a revo end, so this way I have a lot of adjustment for the length of the link if I decide i want it shorter/longer.

So where it sits now, waiting for wheels, motors, and wiring. Wiring is what i'm planning on doing next.

Old 01-02-2012, 11:02 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

nice looking build you got going on there!
BuckImod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 11:09 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Well I finished my first big r/c wiring job. I actually really like electrical work so really enjoyed it.

The first and simplest thing I did was pop open my rx and wind the antennae up inside the case so it would be out of the way. You don't need much range with a crawler.

The escs are stacked with all of the wires cut fairly short so there isn't a lot extra, located right in the middle of the chassis. I put a micro deans on the lead to the bec so it will be easy to swap out in the future if it dies. Switches removed from the escs. Wire from the bec that goes to the rx was shortened substantially. I wanted to shorten the leads from the escs to the rx as well but I don't have a crimper for those type of pin connectors. The bec i shortened so much I just cut the piece out and soldered it back together. Bec and rx are on the front of the skid between the chassis and front axle.

Overall i'm very happy with how cleanly it turned out. Only thing missing is the servo, which will also need it's lead shortened quite a bit.

Next project will be fabbing up a front axle battery mount, and depending how much frustration ensues the project after that may be an order placed to rowdy