RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Axial XR10 (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-xr10/)
-   -   weight savings with aluminum or titanium bolts (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-xr10/372844-weight-savings-aluminum-titanium-bolts.html)

63comet 03-15-2012 11:46 PM

weight savings with aluminum or titanium bolts

With the latest style rigs getting lighter and lighter lately (some under 4lbs),
Has any one measured the difference from switching an entire 2.2 from steel to aluminum or titanium bolts ?

TSK 03-16-2012 01:23 AM

Re: weight savings with aluminum or titanium bolts

Steel is like three times the weight of aluminum per volume, but all the screws in a whole rig is so small... I doubt the weight loss is worth the cost. But at a pro level, I guess every bit counts.

You do the math.

Online Metal Store | Small Quantity Metal Orders | Metal Cutting, Sales & Shipping | Buy Steel, Aluminum, Copper, Brass, Stainless | Metal Product Guides at OnlineMetals.com

norcrawler 03-16-2012 03:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSCorpionKing (Post 3631932)
but all the screws in a whole rig is so small... I doubt the weight loss is worth the cost.

i couldnt agree more. kinda ridiculous.
like people that are sending out their gear sets to machine shops to get drilled out..little over the top imo

dude26 03-16-2012 04:30 AM

1+1+1+1+....... you can't save a lot of weight in the same time, some each little part count

63comet 03-16-2012 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSCorpionKing (Post 3631932)
Steel is like three times the weight of aluminum per volume, but all the screws in a whole rig is so small... I doubt the weight loss is worth the cost. But at a pro level, I guess every bit counts.

You do the math.

Online Metal Store | Small Quantity Metal Orders | Metal Cutting, Sales & Shipping | Buy Steel, Aluminum, Copper, Brass, Stainless | Metal Product Guides at OnlineMetals.com

Its true every little bit helps and all the little things keep adding up. I used that link( very cool thanks) going from steel to alum might save something in the area of maybe .02 lbs. Not much

Erin 03-16-2012 09:53 AM

Short of going to all plastic parts to cut weight, running hd parts requires you to save weight everywhere you can.

Erik D_lux 03-16-2012 10:24 AM

On my LCC I documented it. Looks like 23g or .81oz. Pretty significant for that car and it does add up.

In my long lost weight thread.

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/team-...ml#post2593408

rob_b 03-16-2012 10:28 AM

Yep, every little bit counts. It's been done before but I have kicked around the idea of gun drilling aluminum hardware. I tried drilling out grade 12's but the HHS bits didn't last very long. Cobalt is probably the best choice. If nothing else it proves you have too much time on your hands.:mrgreen:

4xFord 03-16-2012 10:29 AM

Yall are missing the obvious here, Aluminum hardware can be bought annodized. Style points. :ror:

Erin 03-16-2012 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4xFord (Post 3632436)
Yall are missing the obvious here, Aluminum hardware can be bought annodized. Style points. :ror:

Exactly!

jacobflyin 03-16-2012 10:41 AM

Quote:

Haha I love it.

Yes it is over the top but I did it and it does add up in total weight savings. it's not that much cost if you buy online and in bulk.

Most of us playing in the sub 4 lbs 5 OZ are testing more then anything I know my rig works great at 4 lbs 12 OZ and I can all ways go back. but think about how much less wear and tear is on your gears and bearings when your rig is 2 lbs lighter then some others.

TSK 03-16-2012 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rob_b (Post 3632433)
Yep, every little bit counts. It's been done before but I have kicked around the idea of gun drilling aluminum hardware.

If nothing else it proves you have too much time on your hands.:mrgreen:

Sound like something a Class 4 Pioneer would do.

Quote:

Touché

EddieO 03-16-2012 11:53 AM

You can anodize your Titanium too....all at home with stuff you buy from Home Depot:)

This question was posed about Jermey's new motors.....Aluminum screws are gonna save about a gram per motor.....doesn't sound like a lot, but a gram here and there starts to add up.

Later EddieO

Quote:

ROWDY RACING 03-16-2012 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EddieO (Post 3632577)
You can anodize your Titanium too....all at home with stuff you buy from Home Depot:)

Do tell.

EddieO 03-16-2012 03:48 PM

There are other tutorials, but this one is easy. You can only do certain colors though

Anodize Titanium!

Later EddieO

TSK 03-16-2012 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EddieO (Post 3632984)
There are other tutorials, but this one is easy. You can only do certain colors though

Anodize Titanium!

Later EddieO

That's dope. If only I had more Ti and a sense of style...