Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: Sidewinder micro's vs FXR's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2013, 01:29 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Sidewinder micro's vs FXR's

So I recently swapped out my fxr's and went to the sidewinder micros. I was wondering what differneces people have found who made the same switch. Everything else stayed the same.

The benefits I have noticed are:
more compact
smoother start-up
stronger drag brake

downside:
less torque
less wheel speed

I can actually stall a motor out now where with the fxr I could never stall it out. It would either pop out or break something. Now if its just as simple as getting a new type of motor to better suit the micro's then fine but dosen't make sense as to why I have so much power loss. Please give me your opinions!!!

And just in case anyone is wondering:
2x sidewinder micros
cc 10a bec
brood apocalyse 35t hhk sr
16 ga wire.

Thanks for the help!!!
mammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2013, 01:45 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Sidewinder micro's vs FXR's

I'm just curious...which batteries are you running?
ittybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:03 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Same batts as before. But I use various ones all 3s:
gen ace 450mah
eflight 450mah
align 850mah
Gens ace 1000mah
even tried a Thunder power 350mah

I wouldn't think the batteries would be the issue as I am using the same ones as before the swap.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:28 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

How is there less wheel speed? Did you change the throttle graph?
J-Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:41 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Is it the same size wire? From the Tekin wab sight. " lowest on-resistance MOSFETS ever used in a speed controller"
SDheavymetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:01 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I wasn't saying the batteries were the problem...just curious what you're using. I don't have much experience with FXR's but I've been running various Castley ESC's for several years in my rigs. I can't say that I ever notice a loss of power or motors stalling unusually on any of my rigs, but I'm also not directly comparing them to something else.

The only thing I might think of is the difference in capacitors. I'm not sure what the specifications are on the Tekin cap versus the Castle caps. I would imagine if the Castle caps have a lower capacity that that might be causing the issues you're describing. Maybe I'm way off though...

On a side note though...I'd give up stalling on occasion for the best low speed control and drag brake on the market any day
Old 02-18-2013, 10:07 PM   #7
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

The SW micro has 4x the ON resistance of the FXR, but it sounds worse than the change in performance. The wire size going between battery/esc/ motor makes a difference too. More likely, your brushed motor may need attention. The overall resistance of your system if largely the motor.

Ignoring battery, your system should have about 58mOhms resistance per motor with the tekin controllers and 62mOhms with the SW micro. At 10 amps that is only the difference of 0.04v drop, at 40 amps .16v drop. Going from one ESC to the other will make some change, but the batteries and motor are the largest factors and more likely to be the root of your torque loss. Your reduction of wheelspeed is also a large indicator that battery or motor is getting weak.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ittybitty View Post

The only thing I might think of is the difference in capacitors.

Caps will make a difference in operating temp, but not current flow. It wouldn't affect torque unless the ripple was so out of hand that FETs were not switching fully. At that point it would be magic smoke that was lost and not just torque
Old 02-19-2013, 04:44 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
Caps will make a difference in operating temp, but not current flow. It wouldn't affect torque unless the ripple was so out of hand that FETs were not switching fully. At that point it would be magic smoke that was lost and not just torque
WOW Thanks for all the info
stankulas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:44 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Money View Post
How is there less wheel speed? Did you change the throttle graph?
Nope its the same throttle graph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDheavymetal View Post
Is it the same size wire? From the Tekin wab sight. " lowest on-resistance MOSFETS ever used in a speed controller"
Using the same wire I used when I installed the fxr's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ittybitty View Post
I wasn't saying the batteries were the problem...just curious what you're using. I don't have much experience with FXR's but I've been running various Castley ESC's for several years in my rigs. I can't say that I ever notice a loss of power or motors stalling unusually on any of my rigs, but I'm also not directly comparing them to something else.

The only thing I might think of is the difference in capacitors. I'm not sure what the specifications are on the Tekin cap versus the Castle caps. I would imagine if the Castle caps have a lower capacity that that might be causing the issues you're describing. Maybe I'm way off though...

On a side note though...I'd give up stalling on occasion for the best low speed control and drag brake on the market any day
I agree that they are smooth on start up and good drag brake and I am going to keep using them.

Quote:
The SW micro has 4x the ON resistance of the FXR, but it sounds worse than the change in performance. The wire size going between battery/esc/ motor makes a difference too. More likely, your brushed motor may need attention. The overall resistance of your system if largely the motor.

Ignoring battery, your system should have about 58mOhms resistance per motor with the tekin controllers and 62mOhms with the SW micro. At 10 amps that is only the difference of 0.04v drop, at 40 amps .16v drop. Going from one ESC to the other will make some change, but the batteries and motor are the largest factors and more likely to be the root of your torque loss. Your reduction of wheelspeed is also a large indicator that battery or motor is getting weak.

Same wire and size as before. As far as the motors you may be correct but the thing is I drove my rig then ripped it apart and put the sw micros in and was back on the rocks in 3 hours. So its not like I forgot how much power or torque the motors have. Like you have said there shouldn't be that much of a difference. Guess its just time for a rebuild to eliminate that and or a new set of motors. Are the pullers ready yet?

There is another guy in our crawling group who is having the same issue.

Quote:
I was using one 4s cap on the pair of fxrs if that makes any difference.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:09 AM   #11

Be sure the indicator light turns green at full throttle. After a comm cut and brush resurface, if you still notice the difference, it does point to the Esc.

Pullers are getting close, magnets for the first 100 will be here in two weeks.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:17 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

I've noticed a lack of power when I went from a full size Sidewinder with a punk to 2 micros almost to the point that I want to jump to a 4 cell to make up for it. Luckily for me I'm a slow Crawler so it doesn't effect me as much. But when I see others with a similar motor and esc set up on 3s jumping things my truck simply couldn't come close to doing it makes me wonder for sure.
mindless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:01 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Be sure the indicator light turns green at full throttle. After a comm cut and brush resurface, if you still notice the difference, it does point to the Esc.

Pullers are getting close, magnets for the first 100 will be here in two weeks.
Yes both esc's turn solid green at full throttle. I have even turned up the epa on my 4pl to gain some wheel speed back on both channels. I will see about getting them rebuilt. Just seems strange that there is so much difference between the two.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:03 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Great info here...thanks for the clarification on that John
Old 02-19-2013, 08:31 PM   #15

so whats better ? fxrs or micro's
rockseeker is offline   Reply With Quote

Sidewinder micro's vs FXR's - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
One of my forgotten Micro's DANALLY Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 21 09-13-2012 10:22 PM
Micro's? johnnyh66 Illinois 2 07-01-2011 09:24 AM