Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: SWITCH - In more ways then just one

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2012, 09:25 PM   #1
Gold Star Baby!

Cool DLUX - SwItCh

This don't mean I'm switchin teams, just..... Axles
Switchin from Berg to the XR10!!!!

So here's the DEETS.... I traded my Berg axles for a decent set of XR axles, and I am very excited to get this bitch rollin.

I got a bunch of stuff I'm still waiting on. My (new to me) XR axles showed up this afternoon and I have never been one to be able to wait for everything to show up before I start a build.

I will be building this and adding more things as they show up... By mid month I plan on ordering some VP VVD's and some Ti rear shafts. Plan on doing a few mods to the back axle so I wont have to experience the gear popping I've read so much about.

CHAOTIC SWITCH
CHAOTIC Ti LINKS
DLUX Ti LINK SLIDERS
DLUX ALI BRACES
DLUX CF WHEELS/AL HARDWARE
CHAOTIC Ti STEERING
REVO ROD ENDS
ALUMINUM ROD END BALLS

BIG BORE SHOCKS, MINI T SPRINGS, JEEPINDOUG CUPS

VP
-GEAR CASE
VP-UPPER LINK MOUNT
VP- WRAITH KNUCKLES
CW CF STEERING ARMS
VP-C's & CHUBS

TOMY'S (NORDIC CRAWLERS) KNUCKLE WEIGHTS
CREEPER Ti REAR SHAFTS
BWD REAR BRACE MOUNT
SHAVED AND SIPPED ROVERS
CI CLOSED CELL FOAMS (SOFT)
DUAL CC MICRO's
CC BEC
HITEC 7980 TH
BROOD 35T HHK-RT
RR MOTOR MOUNTED ELECTRONICS TRAY
RR TOP AXLE BATTERY FRONT GUARD
FUTABA 4PL
BROOD 3S mah500, 50C (PURE ENERGY)
STOLEN IDEA - MOTOR GUARDS, FROM 35MM FILM CONTAINER

FASTENER EXPRESS - AL HARWARE

ANYWAYS.... ON TO THE PICS OF WHERE IT'S AT SO FAR, A LOT OF TUNING IS STILL NEEDED OBVIOUSLY.
Attached Images

Last edited by redrokin00XJ; 01-15-2013 at 03:00 PM.
redrokin00XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-2012, 10:19 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: SWITCH - In more ways then just one

just look up mark reels tread. i think its on page 5 an do that mod . very easy to do an it works
slowride1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 12:26 AM   #3
Gold Star Baby!

Got this done and out of the way, thanks for the info.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Attached Images

Old 11-24-2012, 12:31 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

The Switch looks great! Too bad they don't have purple springs to go with ur color scheme..

I can't tell so great.. it looks like you have the nuts on the bottom. Might want to try button head screws, less hang up..
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 12:49 AM   #5
Gold Star Baby!

Yea I do have the nuts on the bottom of it. I took the dremel to it an made them pretty shallow. As it sits now they hang down as much as a button head would.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:31 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

lookin good.. I like the film canister idea for motor protectors..
D19er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:08 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I never ran berg axles, but I do know that the 2662 big bores caused me to not have enough shock travel due the limiting I had to do to them. I had to switch over to the 2660 to get proper ride height and travel. Just a thought. You truck looks awesome, and I like the silver and purple paint scheme. Let us know the differances with these axles as compared to the bergs please.
Sheepdawg23wm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:32 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

With the switch chassis, it was designed around a 3.5" shock. I have found my scx-10 to work better then my big bores an lcc shocks for this chassis.. once dialed in this rig is amazing!
I see the rear axle mod now an that they sit in the axle a bit, good work..
Old 11-24-2012, 10:57 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

scx10 shocks an trun that cab around an that dog will hunt lol.
with the cab on that way the truck mite act like its scared an just try to go home .
Old 11-24-2012, 11:54 AM   #10
Its a HARDKNOCKZ Life...

If you wanna run your GC low...then go with a 3.5" shock. If you're going to run the cap mod...then go with a shorter bodied shock.

You CAN run 4" shocks at 4" & this chassis will still perform killer. But by limiting a 4" shock down to 3.5" or less if you run a cap mod...you take a LOT of travel out of the suspension. I'd rather run her a little tall & have full use of the available shock cycle then low with less than half of the articulation a non limited shock has.

I'm not a fan of the cap mod & feel the only advantage to it lies in inverting your shocks...which I like even less. Inverting your shocks places the piston in the air bubble that's inherent in most shocks. By starting your stroke undampened by oil...it makes that 1st .125-.25" a little sketchy & you can definitely feel it. The only reason I see to flipping your shocks is to get that oil down low, lowering your COG but that weight is so minute...I can't see where it would ever help your day. The cons far outweigh the pros IMO.

As far as the clam shell mod...I'd also flip the screws over. You may have shallowed the nuts up to the same height as a button head but the transistion will be much smoother with the button head. The nut has vertical walls that can easily hang up on some stubborn nooks & crannys whereas the button head is a smooth, convex surface.

Lookin good so far. Glad youre diggin the chassis. She's a good piece of CF fo sho.

J.D.
HARDKNOCKZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 12:08 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARDKNOCKZ View Post
If you wanna run your GC low...then go with a 3.5" shock. If you're going to run the cap mod...then go with a shorter bodied shock.

You CAN run 4" shocks at 4" & this chassis will still perform killer. But by limiting a 4" shock down to 3.5" or less if you run a cap mod...you take a LOT of travel out of the suspension. I'd rather run her a little tall & have full use of the available shock cycle then low with less than half of the articulation a non limited shock has.

I'm not a fan of the cap mod & feel the only advantage to it lies in inverting your shocks...which I like even less. Inverting your shocks places the piston in the air bubble that's inherent in most shocks. By starting your stroke undampened by oil...it makes that 1st .125-.25" a little sketchy & you can definitely feel it. The only reason I see to flipping your shocks is to get that oil down low, lowering your COG but that weight is so minute...I can't see where it would ever help your day. The cons far outweigh the pros IMO.

As far as the clam shell mod...I'd also flip the screws over. You may have shallowed the nuts up to the same height as a button head but the transistion will be much smoother with the button head. The nut has vertical walls that can easily hang up on some stubborn nooks & crannys whereas the button head is a smooth, convex surface.

Lookin good so far. Glad youre diggin the chassis. She's a good piece of CF fo sho.

J.D.

I externally limit my shocks with zip ties. On my 3.5 SA I'm running 3.5" cap modded big bores with 1/2 of their droop limited internally and I still get about 40*. Those last and lowest bits of travel offer the most articulation per bit of travel since the shocks are so laid down.
opek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:51 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

i ran 4 in shocks on my special but to get it to set where i wanted i cut the springs . i liked the drop out that it had like jd said . i really like the way an the things it did for the truck . im not a fan of laying the shock way over eather an this is why i cut the springs is so i could stand them up some an still get the ride highth i wanted

where the truck would belly out with a short shock the longer shock would drop out an pull it up over
Old 11-24-2012, 03:04 PM   #13
Gold Star Baby!

I have my fronts limited at a 1/4 internally, my rears are limted at 3/16ths. Until I get some run time in I am going to leave it the way it is now. This is pretty much that same setup that I had on my Berg and it worked really well for me.
Old 11-24-2012, 03:05 PM   #14
Gold Star Baby!

I got my BWD rear mount in this afternoon. really like how many mounting points it has compaired to the stock mount. 5 vs 3
Attached Images

Last edited by redrokin00XJ; 11-24-2012 at 09:20 PM.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:12 AM   #15
Gold Star Baby!

Ran a few packs threw it before work this afternoon. After work I made a few small changes and see if its a step forward or a step back. Raised the rear uppers 1 hole. Reversed the rear VP link mount. Moved the upper links in so they would clear the lowers and keep clear.

Attached Images

Last edited by redrokin00XJ; 11-25-2012 at 02:15 AM.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:13 AM   #16
Gold Star Baby!

I thought about this an decided to take some advise from some peeps......

Flipped the shocks over and just by hand if feels a lot smoother... I am not a 100% sold on this just yet. I will get in some drive time and see how it handles.

Attached Images

Old 11-26-2012, 11:32 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

space the shocks off the chasis as well an it will feel better. i use revo ball to do this before i got spacers
Old 11-26-2012, 01:06 PM   #18
Gold Star Baby!

I have about 3mm stand off already, I ran a few packs today and I gotta say that it is a lot smoother. It did really well for not having any knuckle weights. But its going to need some for sure.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:29 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

ya i run just the main vp weight on ine is all
Old 11-26-2012, 02:23 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

I only run the dlux main weight an half a .300 ring. Which is bout an oz shy of the vp weight. Thinking of dropping some off.
Driving styles an terrain are all diff.. glad the shock flip was so noticeable an worked.

SWITCH - In more ways then just one - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Light Switch for Your Scaler - Firmtronics RC Switch Review roktoy Electronics 29 09-15-2015 02:37 PM
front one-ways slegh Rally 2 11-23-2012 09:57 AM
best ways to get better sidehill boostedg60rado EnRoute Berg 4 03-20-2010 05:38 PM
Give-a-ways binaryterror Comments, Suggestions, and Help 16 10-12-2007 10:51 PM