Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: ~~ Storm's XR Rockshow SS ~~

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2011, 07:19 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default ~~ Storm's XR Rockshow SS ~~

Well with a new Sportsman class developing it was time to build a MOA rig. When I was competing in the 2.2 pro class withmy T1E Moonbuggy Shafty against the MOAs I was competitive enough to get some attention. But now it's time for a new truck,

Axial XR10
T1E Rockshow SS chassis
JR 8911HV High Voltage Servo
RC4WD Gear Sets
Traxxas 3.5 Big Bores with RPM Deul Stage Pistons
Avid Bearings with a Traxxas bushing (you know the spot)
Big Ron's CF Battery Mount
Sven's XR Rear Axle Weight System
Mamba Micro Pro ESC X2
Futaba 4PL
Vanquish (everything except the rear axle top)
Dlux Knuckle Weight System.
JPR Racing Checkpoint 37 turn Motors with BDW Motor Savr's

Here's my work so far.

The Rockshow SS Chassis and Mamba ESCs

XR axles and 3.5 Traxxas big bores

JR high voltage servo.

Last edited by Stormin2u; 12-28-2011 at 06:47 AM.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-2011, 07:24 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Great build, she should be a real competitor. Welcome to the world of the XR10!
DRCrawlGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:33 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Wait, what!? An MOA?! Nice looking axles.
TC09mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 09:54 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I love my ss man! Can't wait to see your finished product!
superduty03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 12:43 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRCrawlGood View Post
Great build, she should be a real competitor. Welcome to the world of the XR10!
Thanks Doc, we'll see I'm a total newb with the MOA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC09mini View Post
Wait, what!? An MOA?! Nice looking axles.
Yeah, it's true I now have a MOA like the big boys. I've had fun building it so far and with the help of all the excellent XR build threads I think I've had the benefit of those who have gone before me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superduty03 View Post
I love my ss man! Can't wait to see your finished product!
I feel in love with my Moonbuggy Shafty so there was only one chassis for me, the SS. I'm l;looking forward to giving it a test drive.
Old 12-13-2011, 12:48 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I always love the sight of a naked SS. That's one super effective chassis. Everything about it makes sense and the updated center section is the best part. You can adjust your forward bias easily and you can also run straight uppers with them mounted on the outside instead of the old school way of mounting them on the inside.. You are going to absolutely love it.

Last edited by helhedded; 12-13-2011 at 12:51 PM.
helhedded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 01:21 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Looks great! Can't wait to hear your thoughts on the xr! One quick question, what kind of servo horn is that and how long is it? Thanks
GEARSCIENCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 02:32 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by helhedded View Post
I always love the sight of a naked SS. That's one super effective chassis. Everything about it makes sense and the updated center section is the best part. You can adjust your forward bias easily and you can also run straight uppers with them mounted on the outside instead of the old school way of mounting them on the inside.. You are going to absolutely love it.
I've become a T1E fan after having such good results with my Moonbuggy Shafty running in the 2.2 Pro class, so when it came to a chassis for my first MOA it had to be the Rockshow SS. I appreciate your comments Ashton thanks man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEARSCIENCE View Post
Looks great! Can't wait to hear your thoughts on the xr! One quick question, what kind of servo horn is that and how long is it? Thanks
Thank you.

Those trannies are full of Gear Science Gel my friend as is my Sporty rig and those gears are pretty quiet when they run.

The servo arms is a JR product they come 1 1/2" and you cut them down, mine is about a 1/8" longer than the standard HD arms. I've always loved JR servos but the HD arms for the JR never quite fit, so out of frustration I went directly to JR and found one that worked perfectly.
Old 12-13-2011, 03:52 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin2u View Post
I've become a T1E fan after having such good results with my Moonbuggy Shafty running in the 2.2 Pro class, so when it came to a chassis for my first MOA it had to be the Rockshow SS. I appreciate your comments Ashton thanks man.

Thank you.

Those trannies are full of Gear Science Gel my friend as is my Sporty rig and those gears are pretty quiet when they run.

The servo arms is a JR product they come 1 1/2" and you cut them down, mine is about a 1/8" longer than the standard HD arms. I've always loved JR servos but the HD arms for the JR never quite fit, so out of frustration I went directly to JR and found one that worked perfectly.
thats awesome man! im glad the GS is working well for you do you have a part number by chance on that servo arm? id really like to get a little more throw out of my jr9100... no biggy if you dont have the part number i can give them a call
GEARSCIENCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 04:16 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEARSCIENCE View Post
thats awesome man! im glad the GS is working well for you do you have a part number by chance on that servo arm? id really like to get a little more throw out of my jr9100... no biggy if you dont have the part number i can give them a call

Well I haven't really put your Gel to the test yet but it was fun to play with. I had Gear Science Gel on things that I can't even mention on line.

I'm planning on testing your product first half of the 2012 MNRCRC Comp season and then change over to team3six for the second half. Being you both hit the market at the same time I gotta try you both.

Here's the JR information

JR 1-1/2-inch Single Side Alum Adj Spline Servo Arm JRPA236

Your gonna love it I guarantee, you won't believe the fit and it will give you as much throw as you can handle.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:25 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Looks great Norm... About time.
irok22s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 04:31 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by irok22s View Post
Looks great Norm... About time.
Thanks Mike, your right it is perfect timing for this. But there is a huge possibility it will take me as long to dial this in as it did my shafty, that was only five years.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:35 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Thanks Mike, your right it is perfect timing for this. But there is a huge possibility it will take me as long to dial this in as it did my shafty, that was only five years.

No it won't. There is many build threads with lots of great info on a starting point. You will have it dialed in no time.

ps. I'm glad to see something smaller than a mamba max this time.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:49 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
No it won't. There is many build threads with lots of great info on a starting point. You will have it dialed in no time.

ps. I'm glad to see something smaller than a mamba max this time.
Thanks for the confidence. Yeah I know I'm well stocked in Mamba Maxes you just can't kill the bastards, I run 4S all the time their rate for 3S max and they don't even get warm. But they are huge, I won't tell you what they weight you'd just laugh, some where between bowling ball and boat anchor.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:54 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Thanks for the confidence. Yeah I know I'm well stocked in Mamba Maxes you just can't kill the bastards, I run 4S all the time their rate for 3S max and they don't even get warm. But they are huge, I won't tell you what they weight you'd just laugh, some where between bowling ball and boat anchor.
I'm thinking boat anchor.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:11 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Woo Hoo! I've been anxiously waiting for this build Great looking start!

Good call on the longer servo arm. You will be surprised how much extra turn you get out of that extra 1/8" of horn length.

Also good call on getting the rear upper link mount. I know I have told people I didn't think it was needed... but after my gears in the rear started skipping at the last comp, I think it's my next purchace

Now... get to work
Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 06:58 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I'm thinking boat anchor.
Your right, if I used a Mamba Micro Pro on my Sporty I might go sub 4 lbs. Problem is the back is just about right with the anchor back there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvo View Post
Woo Hoo! I've been anxiously waiting for this build Great looking start!

Good call on the longer servo arm. You will be surprised how much extra turn you get out of that extra 1/8" of horn length.

Also good call on getting the rear upper link mount. I know I have told people I didn't think it was needed... but after my gears in the rear started skipping at the last comp, I think it's my next purchace

Now... get to work
Thanks It did take me awhile get this going but I have to say I've really enjoyed the build so far. It's been pretty easy following all you guys after you did all the heavy lifting on the XR.

Wow, you got lots of miles out of that set-up. Did you do the brass inserts? With a new link mount you'll be able to run straight upper links won't you?

I may have a couple of questions for you so don't freak when you find me in your mail box.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:29 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

Thanks It did take me awhile get this going but I have to say I've really enjoyed the build so far. It's been pretty easy following all you guys after you did all the heavy lifting on the XR.

Wow, you got lots of miles out of that set-up. Did you do the brass inserts? With a new link mount you'll be able to run straight upper links won't you?

I may have a couple of questions for you so don't freak when you find me in your mail box.
No problem

And the rear housing is just bone stock. No inserts. Or at least is was. It will now be something else.
Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 07:56 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Lookin' good Norm! Welcome to the world of the XR10
TJ Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 05:59 AM   #20
Old guy

Nice start Norm, nice and neat work bench. Mine needs cleaning, it looks like Micogoats right now.
ROCKEDUP RICKY is offline   Reply With Quote