Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: First Crawler XR10 build help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2013, 01:22 PM   #1

Default First Crawler XR10 build help

I want to build my first crawler. I ended up buying a used kit on ebay with a Novak M2 dig ESC, no motors or links. What upgrades should I do before hitting the rocks? I've read that you need to reinforce the axle housing or buy hardened gears. I'm on a budget so, I'm looking for the best bang for the buck. What motors and links should I consider? Also, I've considered a chassis upgrade and the mantis and chaotic both look great. Function is the most important factor for me. I don't plan to compete. I will eventually upgrade to 4WS.
Any help will be appreciated,
Thanks
m14socom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2013, 03:07 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: First Crawler XR10 build help

For the chassis i suggest you a nordic crawler design really good quality and not expensive . i believe its around 95€ for a bodyless .you kan look in the vendors section of.the forum and for the links you can take crawlerinnovations links of the axial alu links . for the motors i suggest tekin motor 55T or 45T with a punkdig system and a dx3e spektrum .like that withvthe punkdig system you dont need extra steering servo and c hub and knuckles .... and it works perfectly
roxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:48 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Just an FYI (incase you didnt know) Make sure you use the exact screws (length) specified by axial when puttin the axle housings back together, you do not wanna bust through the plastic it will "push " on the bearings and stuff, I suggest hardened Gears ($40 per axle) by rc4wd also, also vp motor plates too!
1r3land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:22 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Good choice in chassis to go with! You can't go wrong with the chaotic switch or the Bwd mantis, its actually the two chassis my friend an I run... Both have pros an cons.. the switch doesn't have the clearance of the mantis, but what chassis does! The mantis is a chassis to learn to run with perfection for sure an takes some extra time an tuning, but works amazing once you have it set up! I love my switch an won't be switching to anything any time in the future

For starter motor 45t is perfect to start with. 55t is Slow! Integy is a good start.. but for a couple bucks a motor more you can run HH torquemaster.. 36$ a motor..

For links, chaotic has them on sale for titanium links for the stock chassis..

I run stock gears in mine without problem. Tho have a spare set of gears on hand..

Hope I hit everything an that it helps.
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:07 PM   #5
RCC Addict

The only thing I see that has been overlooked is that darned thing in the pic Novak calls an ESC. Ditch that thing and get yourself an FXR with Punk Dig, or better run a dual ESC setup. I have never used the M2, but have run Novak crap in the past (all of which went up in smoke) and they are behind in the times. I've said this before, the only thing on my shelf today that is Novak is their Super Flex wire and their heat shrinnk tubing. Oh and an empty Rooster casing.
AddictedtoRC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:41 PM   #6

Is the JPcustoms Hellstorm chassis any good? I can get one for a good price right now with links. So the Novak M2 is junk?
Old 02-04-2013, 12:17 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Drop the M2, I never could get mine to work worth a darn. Useless as far as I'm concerned.

I'm a Mantis guy myself (check out my build) but alot of guys are running the Chaotic and it looks like it works very well.
Got_Demo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:40 PM   #8

Well it's a bummer to hear Novak m2 is junk. What kind of street price can I get for it? I have a gt3b unhacked right now but I will hack in the future so, ESC mixing would be available. What two ESC and motors should I get? Also I can get a JPcustoms 2.2 chassis and links for $50? Should I get that or save for mantis or chaotic?
Old 02-04-2013, 07:09 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by m14socom View Post
Well it's a bummer to hear Novak m2 is junk. What kind of street price can I get for it?
Keep it on your desk for those breezy summer afternoons.
AddictedtoRC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:15 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by m14socom View Post
Well it's a bummer to hear Novak m2 is junk. What kind of street price can I get for it? I have a gt3b unhacked right now but I will hack in the future so, ESC mixing would be available. What two ESC and motors should I get? Also I can get a JPcustoms 2.2 chassis and links for $50? Should I get that or save for mantis or chaotic?
Like everyone said the M2 is junk. However....while I really disliked mine when I had it, it was still able to allow me to actually use the car. So unless you have the money or actually HAVE to replace it... I'd personally stick with it for a while... Get the truck running and then replace it with dual ESCs or a punked setup.
Abrown83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:50 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

im sure it work fine.....the m2 . get the needy stuff first.....I looked into the fxr and wanted to go that way... but it was out of my budget....then have to decase yadda yadda...
swood74 is offline   Reply With Quote

First Crawler XR10 build help - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
xr10 build help qcax10 Axial XR10 11 07-05-2012 12:10 PM
first build XR10 salmonarmdingo Axial XR10 6 09-02-2011 11:03 AM
first xr10 build drpuffmd Newbie General 6 07-14-2011 10:59 PM
my xr10 build booher26 Axial XR10 3 02-13-2011 09:47 AM