RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Axial Yeti XL (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-yeti-xl/)
-   -   Yeti XL Solid Front Axle by Helios RC (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-yeti-xl/523453-yeti-xl-solid-front-axle-helios-rc.html)

Helios RC 01-24-2015 07:27 AM

Yeti XL Solid Front Axle by Helios RC

Good Morning Ladies and Gents,

We've been working on this for a little now and have gotten crazy busy (a good thing). It started day 1 when the XL came out and we've finished what we consider to be a production ready version.

These are 3d printed via selective laser sintering of nylon plastic. They can be done in solid nylon or glass filled for extra stiffness. They are as strong as injection molded parts and extremely durable.

A kit will be available consisting of:

1. Center truss - custom designed
2. Servo mount - works with custom truss
3. Left and right custom C-hubs

Everything else swaps over from the old axle. There are a few tricks you need to do, but we'll get to those later. For now, here's a few pics.

Re: Yeti XL Solid Front Axle by Helios RC

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-J...o/IMG_4195.JPG

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-o...o/IMG_4196.JPG

don't mind the 7950 with liquid electrical tape on it :)

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-L...o/IMG_4330.JPG

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-G...o/IMG_4329.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-J...o/IMG_4328.JPG

reserved 3

wrightcs77 01-24-2015 07:32 AM

Looks awesome.

Fordfreak95 01-24-2015 08:13 AM

Oh...... could this be used for rear steering for this big radius hog!!

Helios RC 01-24-2015 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fordfreak95 (Post 5124097)
Oh...... could this be used for rear steering for this big radius hog!!

Indeed!!! You'll spin her around as fast as a greased pig at a carnival. :shock:

trukkracea 01-24-2015 08:24 AM

1/8 scale trail trucks! !

The Trukkracea

ratrod63 01-24-2015 08:26 AM

How do I get one?

Exocaged 01-24-2015 08:53 AM

Very nice!!!

ImpalaPolicePack 01-24-2015 10:05 AM

i want to see it mounted on the truck !

SteveC6R 01-24-2015 11:21 AM

Interesting, looking forward to seeing more pics.

ednerin 01-24-2015 12:28 PM

Helios I appreciate your "outside the box thinking" and ingenuity right on!"thumbsup" Now I guess for my question or request. It looks like you have a firm grasp on 3D printing. Do you think you would be able to design a rear axle lock out that would accept a larger od bearing for increased durability also would you be able to increased the size of the bearings in the front knuckle?
http://www.axialracing.com/assets/pr...jpg?1415829469
http://www.abellhobby.com/v/vspfiles.../AX31017-2.jpg
http://cdn1.bigcommerce.com/server10...20.120.jpg?c=2 8 x 22 x 7mm for the rear lockout just my $.02
Looks killer right now cant wait to see more; any thoughts on these options would be great.

Sneetches 01-24-2015 02:05 PM

Whaaaaaaaat :shock:. I do remember seeing you inheriting the project from that person that said they didn't have time but it's awesome to see the progress!

Helios RC 01-24-2015 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ednerin (Post 5124285)
Helios I appreciate your "outside the box thinking" and ingenuity right on!"thumbsup" Now I guess for my question or request. It looks like you have a firm grasp on 3D printing. Do you think you would be able to design a rear axle lock out that would accept a larger od bearing for increased durability also would you be able to increased the size of the bearings in the front knuckle?
http://www.axialracing.com/assets/pr...jpg?1415829469
http://www.abellhobby.com/v/vspfiles.../AX31017-2.jpg
http://cdn1.bigcommerce.com/server10...20.120.jpg?c=2 8 x 22 x 7mm for the rear lockout just my $.02
Looks killer right now cant wait to see more; any thoughts on these options would be great.

The bearing and update to the rear lockouts is pretty easy actually. The printed parts would need to be regular nylon, glass filled is a bit too stiff for my liking on that particular area. A little flex is better than cracking.

So, long story short, we can certainly get to it. Just need to finish the minor tweaks to the current design then we can tweak the back.

Helios RC 01-24-2015 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sneetches (Post 5124326)
Whaaaaaaaat :shock:. I do remember seeing you inheriting the project from that person that said they didn't have time but it's awesome to see the progress!

I'm the same guy 8) . I think you were talking about my alter-ego, or real life personality. I finally got some time around the holidays to wrap up the design work and get the parts sent to the service bureau.

A few minor tweaks and they will be ready to go. They will come in white nylon and can be died with RIT die or even Koolaid (it works, believe me).

ednerin 01-24-2015 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Helios RC (Post 5124496)
The bearing and update to the rear lockouts is pretty easy actually. The printed parts would need to be regular nylon, glass filled is a bit too stiff for my liking on that particular area. A little flex is better than cracking.

So, long story short, we can certainly get to it. Just need to finish the minor tweaks to the current design then we can tweak the back.

Freaking awesome!"thumbsup"

BoardN88 01-25-2015 03:17 AM

Anyway to get these made out of aluminum?

Helios RC 01-25-2015 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoardN88 (Post 5124852)
Anyway to get these made out of aluminum?

Yeah, initial builds are in SLS nylon because it's fast. I can design and send to the shop and have them back in a week and a half to 2 weeks. None of the machine shops around here are willing to do 1 set.

The plan is to offer aluminum ones in the future. The plan will be more than likely to do 25 sets in aluminum as a limited edition.

Fordfreak95 01-25-2015 09:43 AM

How is this going to mount up to the front of the frame? Im green to this solid axle RC truck stuff sorry...

BoardN88 01-25-2015 01:23 PM

Put me down for an aluminum kit!

Helios RC 01-28-2015 08:35 PM

These will be ready very soon to purchase the printed parts. Just finishing up some of the install instructions and other things folks will need for the first batch.

Helios RC 01-28-2015 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fordfreak95 (Post 5125001)
How is this going to mount up to the front of the frame? Im green to this solid axle RC truck stuff sorry...

Most folks will use this conversion as the stepping stone to other projects. The stock chassis won't work very well with the solid axle front. Keep an eye out for the XL based monster truck we're working on as well as a few shafty comp style crawlers folks are building.

Helios RC 01-29-2015 09:11 PM

Beta testers! Read up!

For those who have been patiently reminding me every hour on the hour (you know who you are), the wait is over.

Use the links below to order the special 3D printed parts for the conversion. They will be available in black or dye-able white nylon. You need to pick a color when you order.

Also, these are print to order, they are not stocked yet. We are using a service to print using selective laser sintering of nylon on a machine that costs between $500k and $1M. These can be done in PLA, but the SLS nylon most closely matches the strength and flexibility of the injection molded parts.

Ok, you either read all of that or scrolled down here to the good stuff.

1. Truss - this replaces the stock truss allowing a servo mount. The holes for the upper link mount arr printed under-sized. This will allow you to use set screws, drilled and screw biting into nylon, or through hole with a long screw.

Model | Shapeways

2. Servo mount - yup, this is where you mount the steering servo. Currently it mounts to the left side, but the truss allows for a mirrored servo on the other side letting you use two servos for steering. The mirror mount is designed, but not released. If you really want it, I'll upload it and it will be the same cost as the first mount.

Model | Shapeways

3. Left Chub - you need chubs for steering. These are clearanced slightly more than the first set you've all been seeing pictures of. The fit of that one was tighter than I liked so the ID was opened up a little. You want them snug, but may need to clean them up a little inside.The goal is to have a tight fit where they need to be tapped on.

Model | Shapeways

4. Right Chub - the Yin to the Left's Yang.

Model | Shapeways

NOTE: these are BETA products. This means that there is a good chance we will make minor tweaks to them. Please contact me if you have an issue. You fearless testers are part of the team and get to put in your feedback. These are YOUR parts!

BoardN88 02-04-2015 10:22 AM

Anybody try this yet?

67mustang 02-07-2015 11:43 AM

I think this is great...but I have slight reservations.

Why is there only gonna be 25 aluminum sets? Wouldnt you want to sell 25x that? I am mainly interested in the c-hubs. Is the geometery right? I understand BETA, but has this setup been vetted/run on an actual vehicle? Do you plan on offering housing/hubs/bearings/shafts/knuckle/gears? Essentially a built front axle?

since you seem to be breaking new ground.....what about a spool/locker?

__T__ 02-07-2015 11:57 AM

any pictures of it mounted? i would think it would look sick

BIG T 02-07-2015 07:06 PM

Can't u just take two chassis and cut them and use a plate to bolt them together to have mounting point for links.

rockalot 02-10-2015 05:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG T (Post 5139243)
Can't u just take two chassis and cut them and use a plate to bolt them together to have mounting point for links.

Of course you could but I think the main idea with these parts is that now you have both a large scale steering axle and rear axle for custom projects like monster trucks, mudders, crawlers, scalers, not just straight axle Yeti's.

BIG T 02-11-2015 07:51 PM

Ah very true why did I not think of that a wraith xl

BIG T 02-12-2015 10:39 AM

now where to find a complete rear axle assembly

Helios RC 02-16-2015 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67mustang (Post 5138893)
I think this is great...but I have slight reservations.

Why is there only gonna be 25 aluminum sets? Wouldnt you want to sell 25x that? I am mainly interested in the c-hubs. Is the geometery right? I understand BETA, but has this setup been vetted/run on an actual vehicle? Do you plan on offering housing/hubs/bearings/shafts/knuckle/gears? Essentially a built front axle?

since you seem to be breaking new ground.....what about a spool/locker?

Good questions. I've run the parts on the rear of an XL with the steering locked just to test durability and it held up very well. The geometry was designed to be very good, but we all know that things can be tweaked as we use it more and more.

I will certainly entertain more than 25 sets. I figured that was a good starting point, but always happy to do more. "thumbsup"

Helios RC 02-16-2015 03:56 PM

We're going to offer all of the parts together as a kit to build an entire front axle as well as potentially offer some built ones. We're looking at the spool/locker too. It's not too bad, just need to get it machined.

Sneetches 02-16-2015 05:19 PM

Sign me up for a spool, I'll gladly be a test dummy.

BoardN88 02-17-2015 09:33 PM

ill be a tester too!

BIG T 02-18-2015 08:47 AM

still looking for complete yeti xl axles

Scrambled83 03-01-2015 03:24 PM

Im in the process of a large scale build and would love to use XL axles!
How do I order a steering conversion?
Would like spools for both axles as well.
Thanks!!

TRAV 04-18-2015 11:36 AM

up dates?????

BobTeagle 04-18-2015 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Helios RC (Post 5124104)
Indeed!!! You'll spin her around as fast as a greased pig at a carnival. :shock:

Anyone tried this yet on the rear for four wheel steering?

tonyfalkon 04-22-2015 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Helios RC (Post 5148339)
We're going to offer all of the parts together as a kit to build an entire front axle as well as potentially offer some built ones. We're looking at the spool/locker too. It's not too bad, just need to get it machined.

I saw your products on shapeways a week ago I thought it was strange that it was not for sale it'd be a nice starting point. After scouring the net for a day I was glad to see that you were a member here as well, and started this thread, I was wondering if you are still entertaining the idea of adding another beta tester. I'm new here, just a month today, but building and improving things has always been a passion of mine and given the chance I would like to get involve in your Axial front solid axle project. I'm sure this project is gonna be a lot of fun tweaking, cutting and re-sizing not to mention discovering weak points, geometry of stress points and load pressure stress tests.

And if you do not consider me thats disappointingly OK too, have fun with your project and I'll be looking forward when you move it to market.