Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti XL

Notices

Thread: Suspension springs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2015, 12:28 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Suspension springs

Anyone come up with a good bashing set up yet? I have searched and bought the springs others have posted that worked for them. No test yet as my motor and esc will be here Tuesday. But using the search springs seem to be an issue for some and the answers I have found seem to be a band-aid for some and some are OK with the spring set ups they have found. I bought the YXL kit and am a basher and like a relatively stiff set up.
pro mod steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-2015, 03:16 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Suspension springs

I used someone elses solution from here of swapping out the front top spring for a yellow soft Baja 5B spring and putting the previous spring in the back. It's raised the front and it's certainly stiffer but I don't think it improved handling, at least on grass where I tested them, just stops it bottoming out. In turn the back now needs thicker shock oil.
mond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 09:22 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Yeah I bought those to try also.
Old 05-31-2015, 10:18 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Don't forget about the springs from Axial Suspension tuning options....WoooHooooo!!. I haven't got into the suspension tuning yet but hopefully soon.
cmbscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 01:55 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I'm a basher, and have tried multiple combos of spring and oil wts. Like you, I perfer a stiffer set up. I tried dual rate and regular spring set ups. The best I've found is;

Front: Axial Spring 23x109mm 6.76 lbs/in (Yellow)
50 wt oil
Rear: Axial Spring 23x109mm 5.35 lbs/in (Green)
30 wt oil. I do have the spare tire mounted.

I'm sure there is a better dual rate set up and would be interested to know also.
Trifish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 05:29 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trifish View Post
I'm a basher, and have tried multiple combos of spring and oil wts. Like you, I perfer a stiffer set up. I tried dual rate and regular spring set ups. The best I've found is;

Front: Axial Spring 23x109mm 6.76 lbs/in (Yellow)
50 wt oil
Rear: Axial Spring 23x109mm 5.35 lbs/in (Green)
30 wt oil. I do have the spare tire mounted.

I'm sure there is a better dual rate set up and would be interested to know also.
Thanks I got 2 sets of yellow and just ordered 2 sets of the green to add to the pile to test. I hate this part of a new RC. All my others have been the same way I know what I want and am not happy till I get it as far as suspension. All the changing springs and then the second guessing of my thoughts of the last set up I tried. OCD is FUN.

Suspension springs - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Suspension Database Springs and Shocks tonyfalkon Newbie General 3 05-07-2015 05:28 PM
Help with suspension: stiffer springs needed on custom build cragv 1.9 Scale Rigs 4 07-25-2014 03:30 PM
suspension feels very stiff (big bore, losi white springs, 45wt oil) GSRswapandslow Axial AX-10 Scorpion 15 04-29-2009 11:58 AM
Suspension- No springs, Just Oil- Thoughts? 71CutlassS Newbie General 16 07-25-2008 11:32 AM