RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Axial Yeti XL (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-yeti-xl/)
-   -   strongest Axial driveline (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-yeti-xl/592900-strongest-axial-driveline.html)

Trapper 12-15-2017 11:47 AM

strongest Axial driveline

Hey everyone,

So I'm looking to find out which R/C's of the Axial line have the strongest driveline from the transmissions down to the differentials.
Was looking at the yeti XL sales ads on their page and it said the transmission was metal or strong enough to handle a proper brushless system.
Does the yeti XL have the strongest driveline?

My plans are to mount up clod buster sized wheels if not the losi mt XL wheels and tires onto a chassis using hopefully the yeti XL transmission and diffs and give it a 4WS setup.

Sneetches 12-15-2017 01:06 PM

Re: strongest Axial driveline

Technically the Yeti XL would be the strongest of the Axial line but I really don't know about using MTXL wheels/tires because of the stress involved. The bearings in the YXL trans case aren't the biggest and I've seen some people have ruined them on 6S. Sounds like you have a custom project idea so I suppose it really depends what electronics and size you were aiming for as well.

JatoTheRipper 12-15-2017 01:51 PM

I don't own a Yeti XL, but it seems to have issues on its own. Adding large monster truck tires will make things worse.

The strongest monster truck axles that I am aware of are the Freestyle RC. But they aren't cheap.

The AR60 axles can't withstand Clod sized tires without a lot of upgrades (Beef Tubes, stronger axles, upgraded hardened gears, and hardened lockers or upgraded HPI diff gears and shims). I don't know if these upgrades are available for the Yeti XL.

cmbscx10 12-15-2017 03:45 PM

Very good points above.

What really needs to be know is what your are doing besides the giant heavy tires. I assume the Yeti XL was chosen for its axle width and bigger than a 1/10 transmission.

Depending on what you are building, how much power you want to throw at it, what is its intended purpose, budget etc will determine any suggestions.

DavidH 12-15-2017 05:28 PM

Have you considered the traxxas summit driveline? You may need to upgrade the diff gears, but adding rear steer is relatively straightforward. Unlike the AR60, the yeti XL rear axle lacks readily (any?) available parts to convert it to rear steering.

Trapper 12-17-2017 11:37 AM

Will be used as a basher not a speed demon. Want it to be solid and not break from the torque of the brushless system. 25 mph is good enough if it ends up being faster then so be it.

Checked out freestyle RC and everything looked really good except the Traxxas diffs they require.
Traxxas driveline is known to be trash, not sure why they chose those diffs.
Also I'll never give traxxas another penny because of what they are doing right now with the lawsuits. They are toxic to the RC hobby as a whole.

Saw the rc4wd scale diffs which look cool but not sure how those would hold up.

Thanks or the replys so far all.

Trapper 12-17-2017 11:47 AM

Having issues getting a proper connection atm

84yoda 12-18-2017 10:21 AM

Are you planning on going with the stock setup, ifs/solid axle? Or ifs/irs or solid axles front/rear? Because you mention 4ws, and the only person making parts for a solid axle is helio rc so you might want to check about parts availability.

TooOldForThis 12-18-2017 01:48 PM

I'm in the process of adding rear steer to an Axial SMT10. Its a common mod for this platform and if you get lucky finding cheap take-off parts it could be done for around $50. With clod-sized tires the finished product has a really nice scale monster truck look, which is the main reason I chose the SMT10.

The downside is the weak drive train, as mentioned above. I'll be sticking with a 17T brushed motor, or possibly mild brushless in the future. I've added steel transmission gears (about $30) and will upgrade whatever breaks, but I don't expect much trouble. I tend to use a little mechanical sympathy when driving this one, so YMMV.

svt923 12-19-2017 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 84yoda (Post 5777301)
Are you planning on going with the stock setup, ifs/solid axle? Or ifs/irs or solid axles front/rear?

Yeah, this.

If independent suspension is a possibility, skip anything Axial and go straight to 1/8 buggy/truggy components for a bomb proof drivetrain.

That unholy beast of a motor runs 6S on a nearly stock Tekno drive line.

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/...psygn1idmc.jpg