Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti

Notices

Thread: Help with the Thermal Issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2014, 11:39 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Help with the Thermal Issues

I have read about several people having issues with the AE-3 shutting down on thermal issues. As we know the AE-3 is a rebadged CC SV3. For those that want to get the most from what they have Castle Creations | Sidewinder 8th Replacement Fan this will help get more life out of your ESC.
I thought this may be useful info for the guys working on a budget. Dropped my esc temp at least 15 degf.
Powerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2014, 12:09 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Help with the Thermal Issues

did you do the firmware update?
gottorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 12:55 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Updated firmware before it got a battery. I never actually got it to thermal. But I am running a 20t pinion and larger 3s for a bit of speed out of it. I see the yeti as a more to scale SC truck rather than a crawler. The SV3 is pushed to its max on 3s. But for a few bucks you can get more out of it. I can run the entire 3s 6500mah pack with acceptable temps at the end. Driving it in the manner that one would drive a SC truck like the Slash 4x4 or the SC10.
Old 09-24-2014, 12:55 PM   #4

When I change out to my personal airtronics radio and savox servo my yeti wouldn't even work correctly until it was updated. Also I geared up to a 20t pinion with 2s lipo an my motor never saw more than 130* after 6-10 min sessions on a clay track. Esc was even cooler
erich_hagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 01:02 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by erich_hagen View Post
When I change out to my personal airtronics radio and savox servo my yeti wouldn't even work correctly until it was updated. Also I geared up to a 20t pinion with 2s lipo an my motor never saw more than 130* after 6-10 min sessions on a clay track. Esc was even cooler
Glad I am not the only one getting positive results from gearing up. The electronics seem to be very happy at the higher speed. I did add a cooling fan to the motor as well. Not due to any issues, just cheap insurance.
Old 09-24-2014, 01:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerman View Post
Glad I am not the only one getting positive results from gearing up. The electronics seem to be very happy at the higher speed. I did add a cooling fan to the motor as well. Not due to any issues, just cheap insurance.
Yeah everything seemed to be working well with gearing up. I ran my yeti hard lap after lap with no issues at all. 130* is getting up there so I may add a fan as well. I fully agree with the cheap insurance there!
erich_hagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 01:27 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

At 130 IMO your golden. I dont worry until I see 150 to 160 and at that your still good. I am a firm believer in checking temps often. On a nice hot day like 90 plus. I look to see motor temps in the 150 or less range and try to gear to achieve that. It doesnt get above 90 to often here. And when it does I aint playing outside.
Old 09-24-2014, 01:56 PM   #8
RCC Addict

I added an aluminum heat sink to my motor and cut out the hood scoop and part of the dash over the motor. A lot more air to the motor helps big time
Old 09-25-2014, 01:21 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

What's the size of the heatsink/fan i need to buy to fit over the motor? Is it the same size as a touring car motor?
Aebous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 02:18 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aebous View Post
What's the size of the heatsink/fan i need to buy to fit over the motor? Is it the same size as a touring car motor?
The 3150 has a 36mm can. The Castle cooling fan will fit for the 14xx series motors. Any 540 sized heat sink will work. Although the motor is not strained any with the stock 16t pinion up to the 20t pinion. The ESC is the weak link and is what causes the thermal shut down.

Last edited by Powerman; 09-25-2014 at 02:24 AM.
Old 09-25-2014, 11:30 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

So you guys geared up on 2s and it ran cooler, makes sense, but what about with a 3s pack? I'm sure gearing up with 3s will only make things hotter, but correct me if I'm wrong
db450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 01:25 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by db450 View Post
So you guys geared up on 2s and it ran cooler, makes sense, but what about with a 3s pack? I'm sure gearing up with 3s will only make things hotter, but correct me if I'm wrong
I have only ran strictly 3s. But keep in mind the changes I have made. Smaller 2.2 PL Badlands, fans on both ESC and Motor, as well as a large capacity 3s. Just by allowing the truck to go faster improves the air flow and keeps things cooler. If I was to crawl for any length of time, the ESC would likely have a meltdown. For crawling I would have to gear back down. Another factor thats helping me greatly is the weather. Its been an average of 70 since I got the truck. I am sure when it gets warmer my temps will begin to increase.
Old 09-30-2014, 08:01 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottorque View Post
I added an aluminum heat sink to my motor and cut out the hood scoop and part of the dash over the motor. A lot more air to the motor helps big time
Did you add any sort of screen after cutting out the hood scoop? I'm thinking of doing this too but I'm a little worried about debris getting inside and causing a problem. Or will debris happen anyways?

I'd ultimately love to cut out that grill and add a giant fan in front to act as a radiator/blower for the ESC/motor, but that just doesn't seem feasible to me. Why hasn't someone made a supercharger looking blower(fan)? I'd love a muscle car ish hood scoop that's actually a fan. Sorry I started rambling there...
Aebous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 09:06 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aebous View Post
Did you add any sort of screen after cutting out the hood scoop? I'm thinking of doing this too but I'm a little worried about debris getting inside and causing a problem. Or will debris happen anyways?

I'd ultimately love to cut out that grill and add a giant fan in front to act as a radiator/blower for the ESC/motor, but that just doesn't seem feasible to me. Why hasn't someone made a supercharger looking blower(fan)? I'd love a muscle car ish hood scoop that's actually a fan. Sorry I started rambling there...
No, no screen. Dirt gets in there anyway regardless
Old 10-01-2014, 01:46 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Let us know how the rack helps with the steering! I just got my links in and I think that should help but I think those two posts and bearings will be next, they seem to be the source for a lot of slop
SoCal Crawlr is offline   Reply With Quote

Help with the Thermal Issues - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FXR thermal shut down.... Bogncrawl Electronics 7 04-26-2013 10:17 AM
Thermal arc welders? xgerstandtx Chit Chat 3 03-21-2013 07:44 AM
Micro D/T thermal! D-ran83 Non Crawler RC's 3 06-14-2009 10:51 AM
HiTec 5998tg and 5955 going thermal on me Rckcrwlr Electronics 45 03-26-2008 08:23 PM
TCS Thermal Cooling System... obsession4x4 General Scale Talk 4 10-29-2007 07:05 AM