Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti

Notices

Thread: 2 Dead Yetis

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2014, 09:48 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default 2 Dead Yetis

Here is my story of the Yeti, the new guy to RC and the sad outcome.
I preordered my Yeti months in advance and was happy when it came in. I drove about half a pack thru it and everything was fine.
When the weekend came around a buddy of mine came by and saw all the rc stuff I had. He immediately said" I want one!"
So we went down to the local hobby shop and I recommended either the Yeti (newest thing out" or the Stampede 4x4 brushless.
He went with the Yeti and off we went. My buddy has never had a real rc car before so I figured the Yeti would be a good start.

So we charge up his new 3s lipo and take or Yetis out in front of the house. He literally did not drive for five minutes and 2 tires popped the bead out. After resetting the beads we went out again for about another 2 minutes and both rear hubs stripped out.
So a few day later he goes to the local hobby shop and buys Proline Trenchers and Axial hexes.
He drives for another 3 or 4 minutes and the rear tire flys off. I think that one was his fault.
Needless to say he said to me " do they all break this easy?"
I also stripped out both rear hexes and lost a lower shock spring retainer on my 2nd pack.

So to make a long story shorter, I got a call from him yesterday. He sold me his Yeti with the Trenchers and lipo and Hitec charger (all 1 week old) for half what he paid.

I now own 2 broken Yetis that can not be driven at the moment.
I just ordered 4 Ottsix U4 tires and crawler innovations 6 hole wheels for one of the Yetis.

I think I will get Trepadors for the other.

I am setting here thinking to myself "why do I need two Yetis?"
I guess I am just addicted to RC.

As for my buddy, He saw me run my Emaxx brushless and says he will buy one later on.

Sorry for my long story but I just thought someone might get a kick out of it.

Last edited by ratrod63; 09-24-2014 at 09:53 PM. Reason: add pics
ratrod63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-2014, 01:54 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: 2 Dead Yetis

LOL good & sad story! But better ou own 2 Yetis, so you can keep one for spares
Most sad thing is, spare parts are nearly not available - so this Yeti waiting for spares is not alone.
Even when you want to throw your money in the aftermarket, no chance at the moment...

Now we all waited soooo long for the Yeti and all the aftermarket suppliers/manufacturers could have done hundreds of parts in this time

Any hint for shafts, steeringracks, trailingarms, hubs, spurgears etc. are welcome
Rockatanski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 04:28 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Well a little reading here might have saved him money - an hour with the tools, a few bucks on improved hexes and he'd be enjoying his Yeti still.

His experience is unfortunate, but many other newbies or ill advised purchasers thinking RTR is ready to run with nil maintenance, will be in the same boat if neither Axial nor hobby shops highlight this at point of sale.

Its a capable rig, just needs the sloppy build QC sorting and some alloy rear hubs adding - both easily within Axial's control

Of course you can throw another $400 - 700 at it, like most here seem to - then its a great rig, but not exactly the product Axial sell by that stage.
Percymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 04:46 AM   #4
BCK

It's a shame that one pack in and I've lost the hubs on the stock rims. I thought Axial made good rigs. Not Ready To Replace rigs.
BCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 06:19 AM   #5
RCC Addict

i wish he woulda sold it to me lol.
i was there when he came in and bought the wheels and tires and told him all the issues with this particular rtr. as i got mine the day russ got them in.

as with any rc there will always be plus and minus' especially with rtr's vs. kits.
goobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 06:41 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

He would have been much happier with the Pede 4x4.
rm25x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 08:50 AM   #7
RCC Addict

3S on the stock motor is a lot of power, tire beads aren't invincible and I can probably take a guess at how he was driving it. This is a hobby, we work on these cars more than we drive them. It's sad how many people have one issue with a rig and immediately give up, rant on the internet and thrash it. Do some YETIs have issues? Sure, it happens. I'm pretty sure most stock RTRs don't last forever and we could all break any one of them in a matter of minutes.
Ty@Tekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 09:02 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty@Tekin View Post
3S on the stock motor is a lot of power, tire beads aren't invincible and I can probably take a guess at how he was driving it. This is a hobby, we work on these cars more than we drive them. It's sad how many people have one issue with a rig and immediately give up, rant on the internet and thrash it. Do some YETIs have issues? Sure, it happens. I'm pretty sure most stock RTRs don't last forever and we could all break any one of them in a matter of minutes.

3S is what it is designed for.

The tires can be prized out of these beads by hand with little force, nothing to do with driving style.

The person who started this thread isn't ranting, simply talking calmly and eloquently.

Do some yeti's have issues Yes they all do, because of the hex adapters and tires that fall off.

You can read the manual, follow the tips before running but they will not stop the above.

RTR means ready to run. It doesn't mean it will last forever, it also doesn't mean it will fail on its first time out the box.

Its actually people like you that ruin forums, flaming individuals who dare to comment. How on earthy are Axial or any other manufacturer supposed to improve their products unless people say whats happening.

I've got a Yeti, not run it yet cause I'm going to tear it down and rebuild it, replace the problem wheels and hubs.....................but I shouldn't have to.
northernerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 09:09 AM   #9

Call axial, they have great customer support. I just bought another ps wraith and the esc was shot right out of the box so they sent me a new one and I mentioned the tires were coming of the beadlocks so they sent me a new set of r35 tires.
KYScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 09:11 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernerbill View Post
Its actually people like you that ruin forums, flaming individuals who dare to comment. How on earthy are Axial or any other manufacturer supposed to improve their products unless people say whats happening.

I've got a Yeti, not run it yet cause I'm going to tear it down and rebuild it, replace the problem wheels and hubs.....................but I shouldn't have to.
You're joking, right? I mean...I just read your sig and I say to myself, this guy must be joking.
elbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 09:53 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by elbo View Post
You're joking, right? I mean...I just read your sig and I say to myself, this guy must be joking.

How long did it take?
northernerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 10:10 AM   #12
RcBros Hobbies

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratrod63 View Post
So we charge up his new 3s lipo and take or Yetis out in front of the house.
Its sad to see that the new cars preform so great that the new guys get scared after abusing them and something breaks. These trucks are nuts on 3s.

I remeber the stock 27T nimh rustler days where we all begged for speed.
RcBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 07:07 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by goobs View Post
i wish he woulda sold it to me lol.
i was there when he came in and bought the wheels and tires and told him all the issues with this particular rtr. as i got mine the day russ got them in.

as with any rc there will always be plus and minus' especially with rtr's vs. kits.
I got mine the same day Russel got them in too. But let it set after only running half a pack thru it. I was not aware off the issues the Yeti had until the day we went and ran ours together.
I will say that a lot of it had to do with the driving style he has.
This literally was his first rc car.

I definitely like the Yeti and will be dropping a lot of cash into it soon.
Old 09-25-2014, 07:16 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty@Tekin View Post
I fully understand what you are saying. My friend just had it in his head that you buy it and drive it and that is it.
I showed him my shelves full of about 25 rcs that I work on all the time and explained that you have to work on them.
I guess he just was really not into rc like we are. I just thought it was a funny story to share.

I definitely love the Yeti and plan on upgrading both. Maybe try different products on one than the other. So I will have two Yetis but different.
I will keep yall posted on the builds.
Old 09-25-2014, 07:19 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RcBro View Post
Its sad to see that the new cars preform so great that the new guys get scared after abusing them and something breaks. These trucks are nuts on 3s.

I remeber the stock 27T nimh rustler days where we all begged for speed.
I remember my 1984 RC10 gold pan hardly ever broke. Back then I could not afford and thing but a stock spec motor. It would not hardly go fast enough to break anything.
Old 09-25-2014, 07:21 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

I just got some goodies in the mail today so I can start the resurrection on Yeti #1

Old 09-25-2014, 07:30 PM   #17

I always find the bashing interesting, I'm new to RC but have been doing 1:1 for years and it's like anything. You buy a ready to run Camero LS1 and hammer the dogshit out of it things will give, there has to be a balance between cost and performance or we will all be saving for Lambos so that we don't have to upgrade parts!

Since waiting for the yeti I did some quick readings and added hexes, hubs and do a run through to tighten and loctite the important stuff.

I have several 3s packs through mine and ran it in one of the nastiest G6's I've seen and no failures! No bead popping, took all off and reset myself. The only failure was my radio that got water logged from the rain!

This hobby is like any other and you'll have to invest some time, you have to pay to play!

Bonus for all the nice equipment for half price!
Tower513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 10:14 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

It has been a while but I finally found some Method 105 wheels from a member on here and got my 1.25 cans from Carter Fab.
I bought 350 hubs for the front and 600 for the rear.
I ended up not using the Crawler Innovations glue on wheels because I was afraid to glue them on wrong.
Here are some pics. I will post a pic of them installed tomorrow.

Here is a comparison between the stock Vanquish cans and the Carter Fab 1.25 cans

I bought a cheap Harbor Freight leather punch to vent the tires. These are 1/8 holes. 4 in each tire

Dueces Wild foams standard and Voodoo U4 silver tires

Here is the finished product. I will post a pic tomorrow of them installed on the Yetl.

Last edited by ratrod63; 10-23-2014 at 10:17 PM.

2 Dead Yetis - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TCS has yetis! TCS_Crawlers U4RC 0 09-10-2014 03:31 PM
is it dead mesooners Oklahoma 3 05-25-2011 11:05 PM
not dead yet foproy South Carolina 2 11-07-2010 06:46 PM