Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti

Notices

Thread: Rear shock mounting positions??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2015, 07:15 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Rear shock mounting positions??

i race a lot of offroad some iam pretty good with understanding and knowing what to do with the ifs front end of the yeti but the back end i find a tad more complicated.

has anyone tried taking the stock shock and mounting it in the further hole back on the cage? making the shock more vertical. if so what did this do to the handling of the buggy?

i think iam gonna try just havent had a chance to yet if you are wondering why iam asking.

thanks geo
twisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-2015, 07:35 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Rear shock mounting positions??

CBE shock mounts

https://www.facebook.com/cbercfab

https://www.ckrccrawlers.com/product...+CBE+Yeti+Tabs
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 08:40 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

iam well aware of the yeti tabs. what im not sure of is what does changing the angle do?
Old 05-31-2015, 11:16 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I have mine mounted like you described and I like it a lot better it helps hold the rear of the truck up better still needs more but it helps a lot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
scxscaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 02:40 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Ok, here's about the simplest way I can explain. The more vertical the shock, the more the shock will work for you (more resistance). The more you lay it over, the more flex you will get and the softer they behave. Hope this helps!
Tgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 02:45 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgreer View Post
Ok, here's about the simplest way I can explain. The more vertical the shock, the more the shock will work for you (more resistance). The more you lay it over, the more flex you will get and the softer they behave. Hope this helps!
so its the same principle as if it was mounted to an A-arm?
Old 05-31-2015, 02:50 PM   #7
RCC Addict

I would think so, I'm oposite of you, I don't have alot of experience with IFS............lol!
Tgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 05:03 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I've been trying to do the same. I mounted the shock to the forward most hole in the trailing arm. Took the yeti tab and turned it upside down and mounted it to the outside of STRC shock mount plate. Then mounted the shock on the inside of the yeti tab. Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to test.

nfcrockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 05:55 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

today i put the rear shocks in the position we talked about. top in rear most hole on cage and bottom in the stock location. 1st jump... ass over tea kettle lol.right now i have the shocks apart and refilling with lighter oil. i was using 60 wt with blue axial springs. i also tried heavier oil in the front to try to get the front to nose up but i should of done one change at a time.

has anyone tried the different top link mounting options?
Old 05-31-2015, 08:10 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Here's how my setup is on my Yeti. I am running the Yeti tabs and Proline Pro-spec shocks and tested it today and it jumps level or nose up a bit. Not once did it nose dive. Didn't matter how slow or fast I was going.

Ballistic17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 09:24 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

do you think it was due to using a different shock set up?
Old 05-31-2015, 09:28 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by twisted View Post
do you think it was due to using a different shock set up?
I would guess that and the tabs helped out a lot.
Ballistic17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 05:52 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Vertical shocks would be more linear, same feel throughout the shock's travel.

Laying the shocks over makes them progressive. Initially softer, but getting more stiff as the shock compresses.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 08:44 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

Dredging this old thread up because I am curious about something!

I followed the kit directions and attached the stock Axial shock to the forward position on the trailing arm, as well as the front position on the upper shock mount/frame. I have seen some Yetis built with the stock shock mounted on the rear trailing arm position and rear upper shock mount position as well, moving it back on the arm and Yeti overall.

To me it looks like there is a longer eye-to-eye measurement on the rear position, but people are still using the same shock that the kit recommends mounting to the front position. I have a couple questions - is the shock using its full stroke in the forward position, or is it compressed a little bit because of the shorter eye-to-eye? And what does moving the shock to the back positions do? Less leverage from the rear axle? The shock would be mounted at the same angle, just farther back on the trailing arm.

I am going to pick up some limit straps for whichever shock mount I'm not using, so trying to get an idea of why people use one or the other.
Ahod39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 11:34 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

In all honesty, stiffer springs (one stage stiffer over stock front and rear) and 35wt is working wonders. Up front I run my shocks as far inward as possible top and bottom, and the back I run the tops closest to the center of the chassis, and the lowers closest to the rear axle and fully threaded down shock collars. It has worked awesome for both the TT and RR. It's not very often I have issues bottoming out or flying crooked and believe me the truck sees air all the time. With the Yeti cracking jumps at 3/4 throttle and hitting wide open just as you leave sets you up for very level flying characteristics.
Ty1330 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rear shock mounting positions?? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Motor mounting positions for brusier chasiss? scx10 honcho General Scale Talk 0 01-03-2013 04:13 PM
Your thoughts on upper-link mounting styles/positions... Chadworkz General Crawlers 14 12-09-2008 04:55 PM
shock mounting positions Stoovey2004 Tamiya TLT Crawlers 5 02-15-2005 05:57 AM
tlt link mounting positions thegodofclod Tamiya TLT Crawlers 1 11-16-2004 02:30 PM