Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti

Notices

Thread: Upper Link Plate and RTR Shock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2019, 02:28 PM   #1

Default Upper Link Plate and RTR Shock

Hi everyone,

I'm new on this forum and I need advise. I tried to find some information about my problem but I found nothing. Maybe my English isn't good enough.
I have Axial Yeti RTR and I'm trying to improve it. I bought the Upper Link Plate Set (AX31244) and when I mounted it I found that the aluminum plate hits spring and shock. I use the standard RTR shock set 87-125mm in the first position from the front (1 settings in the picture). I tried to move shock to the second upper mount position (2 settings in the picture). It's a little bit better but not enough. For the second down position the damper is too short.
Does anyone have any idea?
Or the only solution is buy a 93-137mm Shock Damper? And mount it to the second position up and down.
Thank you for your advice :-)

1 settings

1 settings - aluminum plate hits spring and shock body

2 settings

2 settings - aluminum plate hits spring
Sibstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2019, 06:58 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Upper Link Plate and RTR Shock

I used these plates on my Kit Yeti, but they are worthless, cause after a light side hit the rear upper link broke at the axle ballpoint. Better get some ssd rear upperlinks, cheaper and a real improvment. You can order it from austria https://kayhobbies.at/shop/de/TUNING...mt10-rr10.html

To solve your mounting prob, just mount the trailing arms in the outside position and turn the upper links (longer end goes to chassis side) this should fit without issues.

Hope that helps

Last edited by magic_yeti; 03-03-2019 at 07:01 PM.
magic_yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 10:06 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_yeti View Post
I used these plates on my Kit Yeti, but they are worthless, cause after a light side hit the rear upper link broke at the axle ballpoint. Better get some ssd rear upperlinks, cheaper and a real improvment. You can order it from austria https://kayhobbies.at/shop/de/TUNING...mt10-rr10.html

To solve your mounting prob, just mount the trailing arms in the outside position and turn the upper links (longer end goes to chassis side) this should fit without issues.

Hope that helps
Thank you very much for your experience. It is very valuable to me.
Thx for linking to the online store in Austria. Maybe this is the solution. Buy SSD Titanium Upper Links and some brass paint in spray (I would like to keep the same colors). On the other hand the second option is to use the current upper links and buy new longer dampers and mount it in the rear position. But I don't know what's better, shorter dampers in the front position or longer dampers in the back position?
But the original RTR dampers set is good in my opinion.
I'm a little disappointed that the original Axial parts are not compatible with each other
Old 03-04-2019, 01:38 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibstr View Post
On the other hand the second option is to use the current upper links and buy new longer dampers and mount it in the rear position. But I don't know what's better, shorter dampers in the front position or longer dampers in the back position?

That's not needed just mount the trailing arms on the outside position and you can mount the shox where you want
Old 03-06-2019, 01:28 AM   #5

Quote:
That's not needed just mount the trailing arms on the outside position and you can mount the shox where you want
If I understand it well, it's the setting I've already tried. I have tried to mount the upper links on the inner side of the Machined 4 Links Mounts (first without change Machined 4 Links Mounts left for right) but in this configuration there is a collision with the other components as shown in the photo.
Axial components are good but not these upper links. It is absolutely useless

Last edited by Sibstr; 03-06-2019 at 01:31 AM.
Old 03-06-2019, 02:39 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibstr View Post
If I understand it well, it's the setting I've already tried. I have tried to mount the upper links on the inner side of the Machined 4 Links Mounts (first without change Machined 4 Links Mounts left for right) but in this configuration there is a collision with the other components as shown in the photo.
Axial components are good but not these upper links. It is absolutely useless

Try to mount the upper links in opposit direction, that the shorter side is mounted at the axle longer side to the chassis.

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 2 XL mit Tapatalk
Old 03-06-2019, 03:46 AM   #7

Quote:
Try to mount the upper links in opposit direction, that the shorter side is mounted at the axle longer side to the chassis.

I tried it but it's the same, no difference
I'll have to buy the upper links that you recommended in your first post.
Old 03-06-2019, 05:53 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

Why not just remove the plates from the upper links.

On my Yeti, I only replaced the bottom trailing arms with stronger ones, the upper arms will hold just fine.

Besides that, when you re-enforce something, another weak spot will appear. Likely the point where the links/arms are connected with the frame.

I would say remove the plates and your problem is solved...

Yvo
Phaeton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 06:13 AM   #9
RCC Addict

maybe if u change the mounting of the plates you will get more clearence, try the nuts outside. if i find time i will check it on my yeti.
Old 03-06-2019, 07:15 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaeton View Post
Why not just remove the plates from the upper links.
On my Yeti, I only replaced the bottom trailing arms with stronger ones, the upper arms will hold just fine.
Besides that, when you re-enforce something, another weak spot will appear. Likely the point where the links/arms are connected with the frame.
I would say remove the plates and your problem is solved...
Yvo
Because I need the upper links to be less flexible. Aluminum plates significantly strengthen the upper links that are very very flexible. And this is especially undesirable at higher speeds.
There will always be weak spot but it is important that this weak spot was easily replaceable and cheap. Then it's ok.

Quote:
maybe if u change the mounting of the plates you will get more clearence, try the nuts outside. if i find time i will check it on my yeti.
Changing the mounting of the plates (nuts outside) will solve the problem at the rear axle. The problem is when the axle is crossing the upper links collide with the driveshaft and in front with chassis. Upper links are massive and there is little space at the back. It's not well thought out.

Certainly there are several ways to resolve this issue. I like a clean solution. No punk
Old 03-06-2019, 07:24 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

https://www.vanquishproducts.com/inc...sion-link-kit/

Yvo
Phaeton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 03:16 PM   #12

Problem solved
Based on advice from this forum I bought new SSD upper links at kayhobbies.at. It fits perfectly with no collision with shock damper, driveshaft or other components.

SSD upper titanium links (SSD00137)

Thank you all for your advice and sharing your experience
Old 03-21-2019, 08:23 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Nice that they solved it. If you get problems with the trailing arms, SSD has a nice Option as well.

Upper Link Plate and RTR Shock - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Carbon fiber upper link plate? short Axial AX-10 Scorpion 7 10-24-2008 06:20 PM
Can you run an upper link plate with a 4-link? goldmember Axial AX-10 Scorpion 5 10-18-2008 08:58 PM
what upper link plate would you suggest? zach Axial AX-10 Scorpion 12 10-13-2008 09:19 AM
Custom Upper-Link Plate jmantalk Axial AX-10 Scorpion 25 09-18-2008 12:32 PM