RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   California (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/california/)
-   -   Fresno area crawlers (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/california/183772-fresno-area-crawlers.html)

Aaronb 06-14-2009 01:59 AM

Fresno area crawlers

who, what, when, and where

I am going to be in the area for awhile and dont know where to go.

"thumbsup"

Lawlessjr 06-14-2009 08:50 PM

There are a couple places. In town you have the park at Ashlan and Minnewawa and a small place out back at Hobbytown "don't know if its still there". For a little bit of a drive you can go to Millerton Lake or there is a place called Rocky Point which i hear is pretty good, there is a thread on Rocky Point a few places down for directions. Have Fun

Aaronb 06-14-2009 10:22 PM

thanks. I have been to hobbytown before, but its nothing special. Just went and checked out millerton and bass lake today. seems like some really nice spots at both lakes.

APESHAT 06-16-2009 10:23 AM

Our Comp spot @ Millerton is under 30+' of water right now. . . C'mon up to Bass Lake again THIS saturday around 9-10am Aaron-
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=37.302...N&hl=en&tab=wl

APESHAT 06-16-2009 10:28 AM

Oh ya- played around on the dry fountain mountain yesterday @ The Auto Gallery-
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/pictu...pictureid=3595
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/pictu...pictureid=3594
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/pictu...pictureid=3593
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/pictu...pictureid=3596
It was cool, but it WAS rush-hour. . .I wanted to stack more rocks-fill some holes etc. . Next time

on stolen rocks 06-16-2009 10:52 AM

guess im out of the loop :cry:

APESHAT 06-16-2009 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by on stolen rocks (Post 1847833)
guess im out of the loop :cry:

lol- No you're 'out of town'. . We had to toss in 'new' cvd's and test the Losi somewhere?

Lawlessjr 06-16-2009 04:43 PM

That looks like a cool little spot. To bad my LCC isn't here yet. I guess thats what i get for pre-ordering, never again.

Aaronb 06-16-2009 08:15 PM

that is a sweet spot, ill have to check it out.

rock_krawler 07-05-2009 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by APESHAT (Post 1847806)
Oh ya- played around on the dry fountain mountain yesterday @ The Auto Gallery-

I drive by that fountain every day thinking it'd be a great place to crawl. Not really surprised to hear it's been done. Did anyone give you any trouble for being there?

APESHAT 07-05-2009 10:17 PM

It was cool - for being mostly Large rocks, there is a few doable lines up either side and w/some help (stacking) you could make a good run up + down it.
Noone was around - they're out of business + luckily no FPD stopped by either!

ratterd 07-05-2009 10:45 PM

Adam weres the berg?

rock_krawler 07-05-2009 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by APESHAT (Post 1878490)
+ luckily no FPD stopped by either!

I think they're a little too busy for that, now Clovis PD, that's another story.

APESHAT 07-05-2009 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ratterd (Post 1878520)
Adam weres the berg?

Hey Stranger- I drove it this weekend up in Shaver/Dinkey Cr. and it works pretty F'n good for Torsion?
I'm waiting on the new NovakDig unit . . .
Other than that- Wheeled the S outta my Axial + Berg + Latentimage' Losi all day Sat/Sun!

APESHAT 07-05-2009 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rock_krawler (Post 1878541)
I think they're a little too busy for that, now Clovis PD, that's another story.

Glad it's not in Clovis. . 4sure. I lived there for 5years. . - Saw ch. 30 taping something out front on Thurs.? don't know what though. I wanted to pull over to check out 'Graciela Moreno' up close ;P

rock_krawler 07-08-2009 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by APESHAT (Post 1878562)
Glad it's not in Clovis. . 4sure. I lived there for 5years. . - Saw ch. 30 taping something out front on Thurs.? don't know what though. I wanted to pull over to check out 'Graciela Moreno' up close ;P

I've lived in Clovis my entire life and the police do a great job at keeping it nice, that's why I still live here. I have been pulled over my fair share of times (speeding). They've never hassled me though.

http://www.fresnobee.com/local/story...link=mirelated
I'm sure this is what the story was about.

Anyway, I need to stop by there and check out the mini mountain as soon as my rig is together.

Lawlessjr 07-08-2009 09:59 PM

I lived in Clovis up until last year, all I ever got pulled over for was stupid stuff like tint and blue turn signals. Now I work with a couple of them on a spuratic basis and most of them are cool when your not breaking the law.

APESHAT 07-08-2009 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rock_krawler (Post 1883091)
I've lived in Clovis my entire life and the police do a great job at keeping it nice, that's why I still live here. I have been pulled over my fair share of times (speeding). They've never hassled me though.

http://www.fresnobee.com/local/story...link=mirelated
I'm sure this is what the story was about.

Anyway, I need to stop by there and check out the mini mountain as soon as my rig is together.

:)Yeah-I Never speed in Clovis city limits . . I feel VERY safe in town! Like that/ just Not on Fri + Sat nights. . ! lol
I had my share of bogus window tint/ lowered vehicle hassle, but small fixits blah blah. No probs , just well ya know. They're still COPS when on the clock. . :-P

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lawlessjr (Post 1883138)
I lived in Clovis up until last year, all I ever got pulled over for was stupid stuff like tint and blue turn signals. Now I work with a couple of them on a spuratic basis and most of them are cool when your not breaking the law.

4 Sure- I've met a few and heard stories from across the valley . . Good and Bad. CHP, Local, Sheriff, etc. . A rather Touchy subject w/some, but hell we're OFF TOPIC here! Did you get a truck Lawlessjr????? You guys - WE need to get something going !! Trail Gear is gonna kick in the Fall RC comp season AS SOON as W.e.r.o.c.k. is done in Aug/Sep. . Get Ready.

Lawlessjr 07-09-2009 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by APESHAT (Post 1883239)
Did you get a truck Lawlessjr????? .

Tomorrow "thumbsup" Its Payday

JeepinOR 08-04-2009 11:04 PM

I'm watching the news and the "owner" of The Auto Gallery has been issued an arrest warrant for multiple charges: ripping of a credit card company and numerous customers for over $500,000! lol. His lawyer said that the guy will comply and turn himself in...

I'd say if the cops don't stop you from crawling on those rocks, the owner surely won't either! :twisted:

JeepinOR 08-04-2009 11:07 PM

I'm watching the news and the "owner" of The Auto Gallery has been issued an arrest warrant for 16 counts of grand theft...ripping of a credit card company and numerous customers! lol

I'd say if the cops don't ask you to stop crawling on those rocks, the owner surely won't either! :twisted:

DrunkDriver 09-07-2009 06:59 PM

Hey guys,

I live in Fresno right across from the FSU Bulldog Football Stadium. Getting back into RC and I have a scx right now. I didn't know Hobbytown had a crawling spot out back, which is stupid because I bring mine in all the time and the workers there never tell me. I am sure the same guys have been working their for at least 10 years, I have watched many of the younger ones go bald in my youth :shock:

I go crawling all the time in the dinkey creek area, thats where the real rocks begin"thumbsup"

Fresno is home to both Marlin and TrailFinder, and both shops SELL RC CRAWLERS AND REAL ONES. I've been in both shops recently and the employees all have RC crawlers of their own. We need to get a genuine club going for fresno. There certainly is a large crawling communitty here in town.

A weekly GTG would be nice.

Drunk

Skin Krawler 09-10-2009 09:09 PM

Hello

I'm down with a get together and checking out this creek your talking about. I'm in lemoore.

DrunkDriver 09-11-2009 01:51 PM

Ok, I have talked with the owner of Cycle art a bit. He says that their was a large g2g at someones house within the last month. But this group isn't really a open group. Mostly employees of trail gear and friends.

There is also a crawler course at trail gear, but once again, not open to the public. I'd assume that some of the folks that have posted in this thread are from that group.

It'd be great to have a more open group here, and if there really is that large of a group in fresno, why not have a legit club? From what I've heard and how I've been treated when I show up at trail gear for toyota stuff, I'm not sure thats the group I want to meet up with.

I'd be ok with setting a up a gtg around dinkey creek, but I will be in europe for a month starting on the 24th. Maybe the saturday the 19th around 10am-3pm. I would be willing to provide food and drink, but it'll have to be more than just 2 peeps.

Drunk

calikingcrawler 09-11-2009 03:45 PM

Where in dinky do you plan on going? Bald mountain area?

DrunkDriver 09-12-2009 10:53 AM

Before Bald mountain, I know a couple of great places that are between the shaver lake turn out and Dinkey. So not quite as far as the creek itself. I'm always open to suggestions and if this sparks interest I will draw up a map. I am going camping at Courtright for 4 days and am leaving in a couple minutes, so I will scout out a good spot.

Drunk

Skin Krawler 09-13-2009 01:41 AM

Okay. keep me posted for the the 19th. I will need directions. Let me know if you need a hand with the food idea.

APESHAT 09-14-2009 06:35 PM

Hey- Skin Krawler, got pm. . 'DrunkDriver', nice to have another local wheelman on the board! My family owns a 5ac. spot less than 5mi. from DinkeyCr. turnoff and I know Exactly which spot(s) you scoped out- I've meant to stop countless times when cruising in & out from the cabin. .Usually by myself or time was a factor, but would definitely be down to hit the rocks w/some more crawlers. I don't know my plans for the 19th, but you got me thinking this may be the right time- post up or pm- ;)

HOSS 09-15-2009 01:53 PM

Howdy,

I'm in Visalia, been crawl'n for years, and done some comps with the NorCal guys, currently too busy to get away, but still building.

I currently have a SCX10 with a cruiser body, a SCX10 with a Hilux body, both 2.2's, my Super Unlimited, and currently designing / building a SCX10, Hilux bodied, leafer. Looks like I've gone "scaler"s actually "rigs" since I don't follow any rules, and away from comps.

Keep me in the loop of any goings-on in case I can manage to get away.

If anyone's interested I have an Axial SWX chassis (no links) and some RC4WD Rock Crusher tires (slightly used) that I would sell or swap for?

Also TGN is here in Visalia off S. Mooney Blvd., and sells RC4WD kits, tires and parts, tell Mark that Jeff sent you.
I've also bought parts from Trail Gear in Fresno.

- Hoss

Skin Krawler 09-15-2009 09:03 PM

How's ur camping trip? I've been to Mammoth pool, but not as far as Courtwright. Beautiful country! Let us know about the DInkey creek thing when you get back..

DrunkDriver 09-16-2009 03:42 PM

Ok, camping trip was awsome. Seems like there is some interest in the GTG. Spot will be approx. 1 mi before bald mountain trail turnout.

I will get there early on saturday and put up a sign for all to see. Look for RCCRAWLER'S GTG.

Do to the uncertainty of someone else setting up camp there on friday, the back up spot will just be the Urshem trail head, which also has lots of rocks.

I will bring hot dogs, hamburgers, and chicken. Water and Soda too, BYOB.

Map:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=s&utm_...&utm_term=maps

If you reach Dinkey Creek then you have gone to far. Head up the 168 and turn on to Dinkey Creek Rd(only one way to turn"thumbsup"). The road is right in front of the Mild to Wild Liquor store.

Drunk aka Zack

Skin Krawler 09-17-2009 12:46 AM

Need some hands in the air here. I see alot of maybes. Maybe have to pm everyone again. Don't want u going all out with food and ur money and not have any one show up. You 10am to 1pm or so? I'll probably be on time or early. Google says 2 hours from Fresno, but i don't think that's right. do you?

I'm a definate.

DrunkDriver 09-17-2009 09:59 AM

I won't plan on feeding a large group. I'll just bring a pack of hot dogs, a few hamburger patties and some chicken legs; beans too. What doesn't get used there will get used here at home, no worries.

It takes about 1 hour 30 min to get there, tops. Its not a long drive, it just has some twistys on the way you have to slow down for. I'll leave fresno at about 8:30 and get there at 10.

I only have two trucks, both scalers, but they get around. I might convince my bro to come up with me.

I dropped off a print of the map and some directions/info at Cycle Art to attract some others. This might be a small gtg, but I need to get one more crawling session in before I go across the pond.

Drunk

Skin Krawler 09-20-2009 08:55 PM

Had a great time, DD. Working on the vid right now. Hope more people from the area will be interested next time. Have fun and be safe in Europe!"thumbsup"

DrunkDriver 09-21-2009 08:47 PM

It was awsome! Got my mind off the daily grind and just crawled in a nice spot. All I can say is everyone else missed out :flipoff:

Nice job on the vid!

Drunk

Skin Krawler 09-23-2009 11:25 AM

2nd try. The last vid was just too big and I didn't realize it was cutting off at 45 seconds. Try this one.

Went out with a dude from Fresno, looking to get a local club going. Had a blast, though no one else showed up. He has an SCX-10. Damn! Now I know I'm going scaler next!
Click the pic!

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/m...Creek_0001.jpg

SaxtonSlaughter 09-25-2009 03:41 PM

Nice!"thumbsup"

bd_mf_kr 10-01-2009 12:01 PM

hey skin krawler, got your message a little late, nice vid though. that looks like a sweet spot, i grew up in shaver lake so that used to be my backyard.

my buddy & i are new to crawlers, i'm having some electronic issues that i'm trying to solve but will soon be looking for areas to crawl.

look forward to crawling with you all sometime soon

APESHAT 10-06-2009 03:31 PM

Cool lil Vid-
I've been outta town and the scene for a few- time to get going again. . .

DrunkDriver 12-17-2009 01:39 PM

Im back in Fresno. Looking for a gtg somewhere near Fresno. I got a scaler and I need to use it!

Drunk