Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: How do you pack your trucks for travelling?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2008, 02:39 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default How do you pack your trucks for travelling?

I will be travelling to Southeast Asia this summer..probably being seeing a lot of tropical jungles so I wanna bring my trail(cc-01) and wheely king along. I have no idea how I am gonna pack it in the suit case...I am sure with the new security rules etc I won't be able to take it as a carry on...
Its gonna be a 20+hour flight! Before that 20+ hour flight I have to fly from KC to LA! So thats another 3-6hrs...depending on the flights.
Anyone do this often?
Sasquatchbagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2008, 02:55 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

I think your best bet would be to take it in sections or pieces. Your right you could probably box and wrap it, but that would be dicey!! Just a few suggestions.
crawlbe4youwalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 03:00 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlbe4youwalk View Post
I think your best bet would be to take it in sections or pieces. Your right you could probably box and wrap it, but that would be dicey!! Just a few suggestions.
Take his advice, he hauls 7 or more trucks everywhere he goes. Like a rolling Axial Scorpion Promoter
JBHardwear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 03:10 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I am also worried about the expensive electronics etc...do they allow RC electronics in carry-on? Man I haven't been in a plane since 2002!
When I moved from LA to MO we drove all the way across...have to tell you UTAH and Colorado...the view is just awesome...lotsa great crawling holes
Yeah I might have to get a perfect sized box...that'll protect the lexan bodies from getting warped or crushed. I hope they won't rip my suitcase apart to check cause my WK's got a lot of metal on it-chassis, shocks etc...That'll show up in the scanner real well!
Old 04-10-2008, 03:13 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

You will have to check them and let them go under the plane, they will not allow those things as carry-ons
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquatchbagger View Post
I am also worried about the expensive electronics etc...do they allow RC electronics in carry-on? Man I haven't been in a plane since 2002!
When I moved from LA to MO we drove all the way across...have to tell you UTAH and Colorado...the view is just awesome...lotsa great crawling holes
Yeah I might have to get a perfect sized box...that'll protect the lexan bodies from getting warped or crushed. I hope they won't rip my suitcase apart to check cause my WK's got a lot of metal on it-chassis, shocks etc...That'll show up in the scanner real well!
JBHardwear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 03:16 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Yeah I figured .
That'll keep me from tinkering with it the entire time on the plane LOL.
Old 04-10-2008, 07:02 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I have brought my RC cars on planes before with one problem so far, when the TSA agents were a little sketchy with all of my equipment, but I guess I was asking for it with my trigger transmitter and greases and oil. The TSA agents are pretty decent at recognizing radio controlled models. Please carry on such items at your own risk for I am not a Lawyer nor do I work for an Airline. Here's the steps I take when flying:

-Put item in a professional looking case(Not mandatory).
-Make sure item has easy access.
-Have latches or pins undone so it can b quickly inspected.
-Remove the batteries and put them in checked luggage or separate bag.
-If it is gas, remove the stem from the gas storage tank.
-Do NOT try to carry on or check any gas.
-Have your transmitter in carry-on luggage, with the batteries removed.
-Carry an RC magazine with you(Optional).
-Tell the TSA screener what's in the case BEFORE you put it on the x-ray belt.
-Offer to open the case and show them before they ask you to.
-Remind them nicely to please be careful as it's an expensive model.
-Plan to spend an extra 5 to 10 minutes showing the screeners the item. and allowing them to ask questions to make sure it's safe.
-Be courteous, open, and honest with the TSA folks. If you tick them off, it can become very unpleasant.

Good luck!

Erik
Blazerbogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 07:09 PM   #8
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

I have had no problems bringing on RC cars with batteries. Take Blazerbogger's advice, especially making the packing easy to access and look through. Once I had it all jammed in and packed like a glove. Then they wanted to look through it because of all the metal I had in the case. I couldn't get it packed the way it was, it was hard to get it all back in.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 07:22 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

I have flown numerous times with RC (mostly nitro) gear.

What has worked the best is to put them in a container and check them. The container I use is available from any WalMart. In the automotive department, they have these black plastic cases that are about 36" long, 15" wide and about 15" deep for around $18. At first glance, they will appear cheap and flimsy but they really last.

When packing them, keep the total weight per box to under 50 lbs and they will check just fine. Seal the box with a zip-tie where a lock would go. Tape several extra zip-ties to the inside of the lid. When they open it up for inspection, they will re zip-tie it for you. Use different colors taped inside than you use and you can confirm that they opened it.

If the box is under 50 lbs and you have more than one, it is cheaper to pay the extra (usually $50) to have additional baggage than to ship and your item arrives with you (good lord willing and the creek doesn't rise).

Alternatively, I have been using a TSA lock. It is a lock that they have a special key for. They are available for about $15.

This method has proven flawless for myself and the several dozen people that I know, who do it on a regular basis.

The ONLY thing I will not check is my transmitter. When going through security, have the battery unplugged and be prepared to plug it in and show them that it is functioning. If I didn't have a metal case for it, I might check it.

The only horror stories I have heard were people who tried to bring tools as carryon baggage. Be prepared to be strip searched and anally probed by Helda and her cold fingers!
dkingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 07:52 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I packed my nitro 1/8 Buggy in a suitcase when I flew to the Philippines several times. The 2nd to the last time, I was hastled about it, so my last trip, I boxed it up and FedEx'd it to my inlaws. It was there 2 days after my arival and FedEx insured it, where the airlines would have said, "It Sucks To Be You!"
blackfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 09:18 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazerbogger View Post
...-Carry an RC magazine with you(Optional)...
That's actually a really good idea. Having a mag to show them might help illustrate that your stuff is "legit" should you have any problems.

Might I suggest a copy of RC Driver?

Last edited by Mad Scientist; 04-10-2008 at 09:20 PM.
Mad Scientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 09:26 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

If I check in my trucks in the suitcase and the TSA agents opened it up and have questions(while I am somewhere else in the airport)...what do they do? Confiscate them? I always wondered about that since people pack all kinds of junk in their suitcase and you are not there to explain to them unlike the carry-on.
Boy this is gonna be a headache for me lol...and I will be there for 3 months so I can't be without my trucks!
Old 04-10-2008, 09:28 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Scientist View Post
That's actually a really good idea. Having a mag to show them might help illustrate that your stuff is "legit" should you have any problems.

Might I suggest a copy of RC Driver?
Yes thats a good one...in fact I will bring a couple issues-that'll keep me busy during the flight;).
Old 04-11-2008, 01:10 AM   #14
RCC Addict

The TSA has changed the rules for lithium batteries, read up on this if you intend to fly with LiPo or Li-Ion.
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...batteries.shtm

Otherwise, just check your truck and tools in a hard case, carry on the Tx, you shouldn't have any trouble, especially considering it isn't nitro.
chrisjlittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 02:33 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjlittle View Post
The TSA has changed the rules for lithium batteries, read up on this if you intend to fly with LiPo or Li-Ion.
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...batteries.shtm

Otherwise, just check your truck and tools in a hard case, carry on the Tx, you shouldn't have any trouble, especially considering it isn't nitro.
Thanks for the links...I feel better after reading through it...lol.
Haven't flown for a while thats why I was worried about it. My tx is a cheapo Stock WK one and a TQ3....so I will probably just check them in.
Old 05-17-2008, 04:34 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Check here has well.

http://search.fema.gov/search?q=remo...t=tsa&site=tsa
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 12:03 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquatchbagger View Post
You call that al long time, pff i never been in al plane before in my entire life(17) but a little cesna

Uuhm i would take 2 trucks to play with, one partialy de-assembled in the luggage saftely with you clothes and one(the most expensive) in you hand baggage,

Just my thought but hey i never been on a plane remember
crawl rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 05:04 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Could you pack it nicely in a strong shipping carton and ship it to your destination?
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 10:44 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

I went to Walmart and got one of the Black and Decker $10 tool box and it fits the tamiya XC perfectly...for the Wk I might just break it down smaller and fit it in. Right now this is what I am planning on doing...just putting them in those tool boxes with foam padding and then put the tool boxes inside my suitcase.