RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/chit-chat/)
-   -   Started with 1:1 Crawlers or other RC's? (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/chit-chat/162049-started-1-1-crawlers-other-rcs.html)

Mad4Rnr 02-17-2009 11:09 PM

Started with 1:1 Crawlers or other RC's?

I know there are many threads in chit-chat about "How did you get started?", "Who started this?", etc.... But lately I've been wondering just how many of us got started in RC Crawlers specifically because they were into 1:1 rock crawling vs. how many were in the RC hobby first but not crawlers.

I personally started in 1:1 crawling more than 10 years ago when I built a '81 Toyota P/U with a buddy. Now on my third Yota but got bit bad by the RCC bug and haven't touched my 1:1 in almost 3 years.

This is a poll but details would be cool too, so how did you get started?

BigB_117 02-17-2009 11:25 PM

I got started with 1:1 crawlers/4x4's, I had an '85 Toyota for many years, and later a Tacoma, but could never really afford to get into serious crawling.

I had an RC buggy as a kid, and had always liked RC's but it was full sized trucks that led me here...

but you know most of that already :-P

Grizzly4x4 02-18-2009 12:03 AM

My love of 1:1 crawling was more of an inspiration for me to build my first crawler than RC. Although, I was doing both at the time and it was my T-Maxx that had me searching the internet and hobby store when I got the idea to build a scale crawler.

The RC crawling competitions are what really set the hook in me though. I always wanted to compete in 1:1 competitions but knew there was no way I could afford it. The RC comps was something I could afford and gave me the satisfaction I needed.

Karadjas 02-18-2009 03:30 AM

I found through messing with other r/cs that I liked fiddling with them more than running them.. and crawling is one of the 'fiddlingest' aspects of r/c. I've always been fascinated with offroading, but I haven't had the time/space/money to go 1:1 yet.

4thgenceli 02-18-2009 03:38 AM

Ended up drifting over from other RC's.

Started with a rustler I got in a trade in a toolbox and a dozen ziplock bags. Picked up my clod crawler in aother trade (again in pieces), and just started tinkering with it from there, and branched out into a 2nd crawler now.

Mriswith 02-18-2009 05:28 AM

Had raced off road RC's but had been out of them for years. I was looking to get into 1:1 off road then came across some pics of some scale RC crawlers in a 1:1 magazine in '05. I could afford the RC's and have been doing them ever since.

run2jeepn 02-18-2009 05:39 AM

1:1

HomerJ 02-18-2009 06:53 AM

1:1 for sure!!

chrisjlittle 02-18-2009 04:28 PM

Neither! My first hobby grade R/C was a wheely king which I turned into a crawler. I had a 79 toyota P/U that I tried to wheel, but I ran out of money when the engine blew up. That was several years before I started R/C crawling.

swell searcher 02-19-2009 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grizzly4x4 (Post 1631056)
The RC crawling competitions are what really set the hook in me though. I always wanted to compete in 1:1 competitions but knew there was no way I could afford it. The RC comps was something I could afford and gave me the satisfaction I needed.

x2... me and my buddy (him driving, me spotting) a few years back competed in some of the local east coast 1:1 comp but we could never really afford to go big time with. i love the rc comp which is more affordable than the 1:1. i guess that's why my jeep has taken to the back burner for the last 2 years.

Greatscott 02-19-2009 09:49 AM

RC here...
I started out with an E-Maxx. In the Traxxas E-Maxx forum someone posted a question about crawling with the E-Maxx (this was about 4 years ago), someone responded and put up a link for RCCrawler, and here I am. "thumbsup"

matts88yj 02-19-2009 12:03 PM

The rc crawler was fueled by my passion for my 1:1. I have a YJ that I'm currently building into a sleeper of a rig. Still in the build process but once it's where I want it, it will be sick. Nothing too radical but you will probably just walk by it saying 'Oh it's another YJ on 37's...' unless you look under it.

I have been wanting to get into RC's for a while now but due to my YJ build and me getting laid off from work a month ago, the RC has taken the back burner. I have been waiting for the Losi to come out and I was going to start building one of those since it seems to be a great starting platform for someone who wants to do some comps and also just go out and have fun in the back yard. Hopefully by then I can afford one!

Duuuuuuuude 02-19-2009 07:48 PM

Other rc's ~ the gateway drug to crawling!

Started in electric onroad, moved to nitro offroad, added an electric buggy, then went crawling.

Still love my Revo, but crawling is the most fun and rewarding time I've ever spent behind a radio. Plus the posibilities are endless with a crawler...so much to do.

Greatscott 02-20-2009 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude (Post 1634839)
Still love my Revo, but crawling is the most fun and rewarding time I've ever spent behind a radio. Plus the posibilities are endless with a crawler...so much to do.

It is a lot less expensive too, I don't go through replacement parts as quickly. Plus I'm upgrading things on my crawler for the sake of performance, not because it keeps breaking (E-Maxx bunkheads come to mind).

jedrattle 02-20-2009 09:47 AM

My dad had a Sand Scorcher when I was a kid. So the RC stuff started at an early age. I always had an RC since somewhere around the age 10. I have 1:1's was well. I am building a `69 FJ40 on 1tons and 42inch tires. I have been going to the desert since I was about 2. So for me it's been both! :D

Mad Scientist 02-20-2009 10:07 AM

It was other RC's, for me.

I loved RC as a kid, but kinda' fell out of it as I grew older. Then when the whole micro-rc craze hit, I started collecting those and joined some forums like Micro RC Center and Tiny RC. Then when the Mini-T came out, I moved onto 1:18 scale and joined One18th. That's where I found out about people modding thier TLT's, and someone posted a link to RCCrawler.

And the rest, as they say, is history :D

Duuuuuuuude 02-20-2009 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greatscott (Post 1635759)
It is a lot less expensive too, I don't go through replacement parts as quickly. Plus I'm upgrading things on my crawler for the sake of performance, not because it keeps breaking (E-Maxx bunkheads come to mind).

Yes, Maxx bulkheads are garbage, but I'd have to say I've spent less on the Revo than I have on my crawler...unless you count fuel, then I'd have to retract what I just said...:?

tuesdaysfall 02-20-2009 03:54 PM

i started of with a 92 f150 on a 4 inch lift with bilsteins around the corners for go fast. then moved to an 86 jeep commanche with a 5 inch rock krawler lift on 31 bfg muds. My most recent is an 89 cherokee on a 4.5 inch rubicon express with bilstiens around the corners, rock rails, homebrewed half doors, roof rack with 4 lights forwar and 2 reverse...

slobin3d 02-20-2009 06:44 PM

I've been into rc's for years, and got tired of just upgrading and was staring at a txt and started looking for txt upgrades and found this lovely site. never did buy the txt, picked up a couple tlt's instead and some peices of 1/8 aluminum

bcrofts 04-12-2009 12:37 AM

I got started with 1:1 crawlers thats the right way.