Old 03-07-2009, 06:05 PM   #3
MODERATOR™

Losi too.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...ductId=3399882
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 06:15 PM   #4
RCC Addict

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...ductId=3130526

look at this peice. traxxas copy rims and tires, front tires are badland knockoffs lol
looneybin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 06:20 PM   #5
RCC Addict

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...ductId=2761049

beatle comp body anyone?
looneybin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 06:23 PM   #6
RCC Addict

There was a thread on RCU where a guy bought that 1/8 scale and broke it down to show what it was made of. Some of the steering and control arm parts were clear plastic Looked like it was made for 4wd as well as there was a hollow gearbox case up front but no drive axles. In any case I don't think it could get out of its own way.
860Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 06:50 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

This is wrong on so many levels...and look at the prices! I saw the Losi MLST 2 about 3 months ago and they had it up for $299.99

Notice that there are no parts offered either, only the vehicles.

They're coming from Horizon Hobby, and I have to say I don't agree with this sales tactic. Yes initialy it will help to move more merch, but at what expense? If people are buying Losi and Associated at Toys R Us, and not their LHS, then they probably don't know enough to go to their LHS for parts when they break.

I see this detering more people from the hobby, than actually getting in and staying in.
CreepyCrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 08:34 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Doing business with Toys R Us is a whores market. They require 10X the normal margin that regular distributors or hobby shops do. Typically, you will only see manufacturers dump product there that they cannot get rid of otherwise.

Also, TRU has an "unconditional return policy" for the mfg which means that even a year (or more) later, if the customer returns for ANY reason, the mfg has to take it back and refund TRU.

The last time I saw the Associated models that EeePee posted in an LHS they were available for around $150. If they don't sell you can be sure that Associated will have to buy them back.

Another sign of the times.

- David
dkingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 08:46 PM   #9
Sr. Product Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreepyCrawl View Post
This is wrong on so many levels...and look at the prices! I saw the Losi MLST 2 about 3 months ago and they had it up for $299.99

Notice that there are no parts offered either, only the vehicles.

They're coming from Horizon Hobby, and I have to say I don't agree with this sales tactic. Yes initialy it will help to move more merch, but at what expense? If people are buying Losi and Associated at Toys R Us, and not their LHS, then they probably don't know enough to go to their LHS for parts when they break.

I see this detering more people from the hobby, than actually getting in and staying in.

Actually to be dead honest we're not sure how they got our product there. They do not buy direct from Horizon from what I have been able to gather. Really strange deal with no real answers. They did take down quite a few of the Losi vehicles and only have the Micro Ram up there now.
I remember one of our guys in Champaign trying to order direct from them just to see if it would come and from where, but I have not heard anything on it.
Rich Trujillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 09:02 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkingston View Post
Doing business with Toys R Us is a whores market. They require 10X the normal margin that regular distributors or hobby shops do. Typically, you will only see manufacturers dump product there that they cannot get rid of otherwise.

Also, TRU has an "unconditional return policy" for the mfg which means that even a year (or more) later, if the customer returns for ANY reason, the mfg has to take it back and refund TRU.

The last time I saw the Associated models that EeePee posted in an LHS they were available for around $150. If they don't sell you can be sure that Associated will have to buy them back.

Another sign of the times.

- David
Do you work at Toys R Us? Sure know a lot about how they operate.
toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 09:05 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyofast View Post
Do you work at Toys R Us? Sure know a lot about how they operate.
No, I have spent enough time in the RC industry to know. Many companies have approached or been approached by TRU.

As a practical business model companies like Radio Shack work the very same way.

- David
dkingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 09:15 PM   #12
RCC Addict

I sure wish they would bring back the SSMT. I'd buy 10.
youngblood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 09:20 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Trujillo View Post
Actually to be dead honest we're not sure how they got our product there. They do not buy direct from Horizon from what I have been able to gather. Really strange deal with no real answers. They did take down quite a few of the Losi vehicles and only have the Micro Ram up there now.
I remember one of our guys in Champaign trying to order direct from them just to see if it would come and from where, but I have not heard anything on it.
My apologies Rich...I thought since Horizon was carrying other brands now that TRU was using them as a vendor. Very strange on where they're obtaining the products from then.

I know Horizon has a policy with low balling MAP price points, but would you not consider contacting TRU for charging substantialy more than a legit hobby shop for the same products? Seems almost detrimental to the brand name in some respects.
Old 03-08-2009, 12:12 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Sure you're not confusing Horizon with Great Planes/Tower Hobbies CC. Go look on Horizon and Tower for regular parts like T-Maxx bulkheads, Tower undercuts Horizon and most hobby shops on price. The MSRP on the Traxxas rear T-Maxx bulkheads is $7.99/$8.00 while Tower is $7.69. Some hobby shops buy their parts through Great Planes yet get under cut by Tower and have people whine about getting ripped off because the LHS is "overcharging" them for parts. In some cases, the parts is what keeps an LHS funded so they can play keep up with Tower on vehicles if they so desire. I also used to work for Toy's "R" Us and had people complain that we were overpriced on things like Hot Wheels over what Wal-Mart asked for them ($.99 vs $.68 ), so I looked one day I looked at what our cost was on those cars and found that TRU paid $.67 a car. To me that ment that Wal-Mart was either all but giving the cars away due to mark ups on other stuff or were getting a better deal than we were in hte first place.
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 08:25 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJoe View Post
Sure you're not confusing Horizon with Great Planes/Tower Hobbies CC. Go look on Horizon and Tower for regular parts like T-Maxx bulkheads, Tower undercuts Horizon and most hobby shops on price. The MSRP on the Traxxas rear T-Maxx bulkheads is $7.99/$8.00 while Tower is $7.69. Some hobby shops buy their parts through Great Planes yet get under cut by Tower and have people whine about getting ripped off because the LHS is "overcharging" them for parts. In some cases, the parts is what keeps an LHS funded so they can play keep up with Tower on vehicles if they so desire. I also used to work for Toy's "R" Us and had people complain that we were overpriced on things like Hot Wheels over what Wal-Mart asked for them ($.99 vs $.68 ), so I looked one day I looked at what our cost was on those cars and found that TRU paid $.67 a car. To me that ment that Wal-Mart was either all but giving the cars away due to mark ups on other stuff or were getting a better deal than we were in hte first place.
I'm quite certain

GP doesn't carry Losi products...they are owned and sold exclusively by Horizon (unless TRU is purchasing from an online hobby shop, which would explain the higher price). I can understand a 5 to 10 dollar mark up on a vehicle, but TRU at one time was selling the Mini LST 2 for $299.99! Most shops and online retailers are pricing it at $199.99...that's a substantial difference in cost.

As far as TH...they change their pricing on almost a daily basis, so it's nearly impossible to keep up. If local shops bounced their pricing to "compete" with TH, it would be ridiculous and I think most customers would question the integrity of the shop.